[Friendly Warning[ Don't make the same mistake I did!

General chit-chat and minor questions about just about anything

Moderator: NBJeff

wfuller
level1
level1

[Friendly Warning[ Don't make the same mistake I did!

Postby wfuller » Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:50 pm

So, my story begins in my last (,now completely destroyed,) prison. I had around 7-8 guards, and around 130-150 inmates. My cells were completely full, and the holding cell had over 50 people in it...despite all this, things were relatively calm. Everything was going to plan!

I decided that instead of building around 8-10 cells per day I would be incredibly clever and build 44 in one go, along with 4 solitary cells (The size of my cell blocks). This would put me completely in debt, however I would have some nice new cells, and the prisoners would be getting the peaceful sleep they deserved! This can be done by pausing the game when you have money in the bank. If you do all of your construction in pause mode, the money will only be deducted when you start again... so here was the plan:
And a close up:

It put me into just over £33000 of debt, which due to low costs of staff I should have hopefully paid off within 3 days.

Problems started occurring immediately though. My delivery zone was not nearly big enough. The storage & delivery areas filled up immediately, with a queue of 8ish trucks still waiting to unload. The workers got on with it, however due to a glitch a lot of the goods were left on the road and construction wasn't completed...meaning the majority of the cell walls were left incomplete.

Also, due to the completely full delivery zone, no food was delivered at all. Within 1 day we had ran out and the prisoners were getting a little rowdy!

And to top it off, the guards spent all their time going back and forth to the new prisoners in the truck at the edge of the map (who for some reason couldn't be collected), meaning plenty of contraband was being let through the metal detectors without proper checking!

Within another day the construction was complete...well all that could be. The cells were incomplete and I was still in debt, and the prisoners had no food. They then started rioting and taking knives from the unprotected kitchen at will! Most of the kitchen staff were rendered unconscious by the riots, and all of my holding cell was smashed to pieces, along with around 20 of my original cells. A few minutes after that they started on my 2 front gates, which the prisoners were through in all of 10 seconds.

The guards were still attempting to collect prisoners from the trucks parked at the edge of the map.

I now have an empty, broken prison... So take my advice, build within your limits and don't try to over-do things :p
Namro
level1
level1

Postby Namro » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:28 pm

Well, I did exactly the same and nothing really happened. You should've just make the delieveries area bigger, make more storage rooms where the materials appear instantly and hide 3-4 more workers. No worries, though. It's a good learning experience :)
Vice
level0

Postby Vice » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:30 pm

Yeah good advice!
wfuller
level1
level1

Postby wfuller » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:41 pm

Hah, yes indeed! I may well try that next time around. I just feel a huge delivery zone is a waste of space! Even if it would be open dirt otherwise...I'm a little odd with my builds like that.
Namro
level1
level1

Postby Namro » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:18 pm

It's ok. You can always convert it back to just dirt ^_^ (Right click after you selected the Rooms tab)
Illanair
level3
level3

Postby Illanair » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:57 pm

Funny - when I queued up four cell blocks (that's 8 cells worth of beds, lighting, toilets, televisions, floors, doors and grass outside) I didn't have any problems. Sure it took forever.
wfuller
level1
level1

Postby wfuller » Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:12 pm

Yes, good point Namro! Perhaps I will try that next time. Although it still doesn't sit quite right with my 'realistic' building/working style :p

And, Illanair. Yes, this is with 44 cells though :), and I didn't properly plan out my storage space first! I shall do it in smaller batches of 10ish next time.

Return to “General”