30$+ Price tag = No thanks

General chit-chat and minor questions about just about anything

Moderator: NBJeff

paktsardines
level5
level5

Postby paktsardines » Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:38 am

Sounds eerily like the full release of minecraft.
christopher1006
level5
level5

Postby christopher1006 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:48 am

Honestly I think the way IV is going about their sales is a good plan. I don't want 100k people playing the alpha and reporting every bug as a major oversight because they're under the impression that since they payed money the game should be finished. If you pay the extra money now for the alpha it's so you can support the development of this game and help them make it the best it can be. If you don't like the price then there's two things you can do:

1. Wait for retail release and buy it at the most likely cheaper price

2. Wait for a sale.

3. Torrent it (Before you flame this, be realistic and realise alot of people have and will torrent this game like so many others.)
Yes, that is a penguin with rabies. Deal with it.
PortalPerson
level0

Postby PortalPerson » Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:26 am

The fact is that in its most basic stage, it was $5, not six times the price. Would you have bought Minecraft Alpha for $30? I don't think so.
christopher1006
level5
level5

Postby christopher1006 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:59 am

I wouldn't have bought minecraft at all if I'd known what a repetative game it would be.
Yes, that is a penguin with rabies. Deal with it.
Mas Tnega
level5
level5

Postby Mas Tnega » Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:13 am

PortalPerson wrote:The fact is that in its most basic stage, it was $5, not six times the price. Would you have bought Minecraft Alpha for $30? I don't think so.
Given Notch hadn't previously produced anything of note, that the production values have always looked to be somewhere between nil and fuck all, and I honestly didn't expect a great deal from it*, of course not.

* Mostly because of "Notch hadn't previously produced anything of note", partly because my imagination stopped at "50ft golden toilet with working flush" along with my interest
Branoic
level1
level1

Postby Branoic » Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:47 am

the devs have already said they purposefully are not following the Minecraft approach. its not the same model. Also, as has been mentioned, you're not paying $30 for a buggy alpha. You're paying a pre-order for a full featured stable game in the future from an established developer with a track record in excellence, with the chance to play the alpha. Not the same situation as Minecraft at all, where A) it was the first large-scale crowd funding of a pre-release game so there was no precedent, and B) it was being developed by a guy with no previous track record - it could have just been some bloke who released an interesting proof of concept demo, raked in millions, then disappeared.

If you don't think $30 is a fair price what you are getting and what you will get, that's fine, don't buy it. But don't try an justify it with comparisons to Minecraft, talk of markets and arguments that the devs have made a mistake because they're losing out on sales. As you can see in the interviews, the pricing is not a mistake, and they're okay with not having your sale.
Thesneak
level0

Postby Thesneak » Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:26 pm

I paid 30$ to get in at Alpha 5. When I made my first prison, I watched 1 inmate crawl in bed with an inmate who was asleep and then jump out complaining about how dirty he was. That was worth the thirty bucks right there!
DringwrBach
level1
level1

Postby DringwrBach » Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:47 pm

I love the fact that we get a chance to contribute to the main release and the many bugs that occur and ways to get around them.

Just think when the full release is out, we'll be able to remember when it was about running a prison!
Ric666
level3
level3

Postby Ric666 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:29 pm

Thesneak wrote:I paid 30$ to get in at Alpha 5. When I made my first prison, I watched 1 inmate crawl in bed with an inmate who was asleep and then jump out complaining about how dirty he was. That was worth the thirty bucks right there!

hahaha! A great first post! :D
xngxng
level1
level1

Postby xngxng » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:56 pm

The pricetag gives alot of people the chance to wait instead of buying now, to make a buying or no buying decision later when the game is released instead. Having plenty of time to see if the game actually gets developed into what they want it to be. I myself took the chance, bought it, in the hope it will become a game in the end, fully knowing that most of introversions projects never gets finished. =)
wvcycling
level0

Postby wvcycling » Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:02 am

Lord_thorr wrote:I'm not complaining, not really. I'm just stating that, sadly, that price tag is just way above what I was willing to spend in this promising game, I don't mean to offend anyone.

I also registered solely to post this opinion. $15-20usd? Fine. $30? That is just a bit too much for me. I will wait for steam sale, or years until I find this at Big-Lots bargain bin like I purchased Darwinia for $5.

I am really excited, other than the price.
Last edited by wvcycling on Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
laser50
level2
level2

Postby laser50 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:04 am

Not sure how this even deserves an 8-page thread.

If you like the game and want it, buy it.
If you find the price too high, don't buy it. Nothing's gonna kill you either way.
Dosedmonkey
level3
level3

Postby Dosedmonkey » Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:56 am

christopher1006 wrote:I wouldn't have bought minecraft at all if I'd known what a repetative game it would be.

Exactly the point here, people are purchasing an expensive product, and finding its a very basic Alpha.

Personally I find it a bit pricey, but very enjoyable. If you look at it compared for example Cities in Motion 2 on steam which is $10.00 less, which is a brand new full release, much more people working on it.
mred209
level1
level1

Postby mred209 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:50 am

I offered feedback that I think their price is too high considering the market, the gamers, the state of the game, etc.

Fair enough, that's your opinion. Most of us here disagree, and would reply that "they set it that high to dissuade casuals who had no comprehension of an alpha".

At the end of the day, I've pre-ordered the full version of PA for $30. That's really very little for a game that's as good as I can already tell this is going to be. I don't care what other games charge, that's *absolutely irrelevant* to Introversion, they charged what *they* need or want to charge.

Okay, so you think it's too expensive, others don't. Are we done here now?
mred209
level1
level1

Postby mred209 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:51 am

xngxng wrote:I myself took the chance, bought it, in the hope it will become a game in the end, fully knowing that most of introversions projects never gets finished. =)

That's not even true. "most"? Um, no.

Return to “General”