30$+ Price tag = No thanks

General chit-chat and minor questions about just about anything

Moderator: NBJeff

Lord_thorr
level0

30$+ Price tag = No thanks

Postby Lord_thorr » Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:37 pm

I'm sorry, I'm supporting IV since early sketches of Darwinia and got most of their titles but that price tag for an Alpha funding is just unacceptable in my book. As much as i like IV and management games I'll have to simply pass and wish the game the best.
HowPeculiars
level2
level2

Postby HowPeculiars » Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:38 pm

It's £20, I don't see the problem.

You get the full version when it's done.
Giacom
level0

Postby Giacom » Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:45 pm

I think it's a reasonable price; not to mention that most of the money is going towards the development of the game.
r3morse
level0

Re: 30$+ Price tag = No thanks

Postby r3morse » Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:48 pm

Lord_thorr wrote:I'm sorry, I'm supporting IV since early sketches of Darwinia and got most of their titles but that price tag for an Alpha funding is just unacceptable in my book. As much as i like IV and management games I'll have to simply pass and wish the game the best.

Please don't be so silly. I'm sure you've brought games in excess of $30 before.

I imagine a lot of people will be complaining like this and perhaps compare it to the minecraft price model. It's not, but you still get the full game for the one price at the end of the day so why complain when an amazing game has just been released.
Lord_thorr
level0

Postby Lord_thorr » Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:58 pm

I'm not complaining, not really. I'm just stating that, sadly, that price tag is just way above what I was willing to spend in this promising game, I don't mean to offend anyone.
Molano
level1
level1

Postby Molano » Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:16 pm

I was also suprised at the price. I bought the introversion pack though so combined with the other games this is more than worth it. However loyal customers dont have that advantage since they probably already have the other games, which is unfortunate. I personally would have bought the game even if it was 50 buck since i dont mind supporting independant developers with track records like introversion.

I think it's a steep price for a indy game like this in it's alpha stage. However i do think that the game will appeal enough for it to be succesful even with it's price tag. One thing i am suprised about is that the game does not seem to have any DRM. Combined with it's price tag i see that as a possible problem.
Mathieu
level1
level1

Postby Mathieu » Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:22 pm

Yeah no online key validation... Quite curious choice. But maybe this is only for the alpha.
Last edited by Mathieu on Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Radiobuzz
level2
level2

Postby Radiobuzz » Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:22 pm

It is a little too much, it's something like $150 in my country. Looks like I won't be participating at this time :/.
Tiax
level0

Postby Tiax » Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:59 pm

I spent 50$ on fuckin' Mechwarriors Online and I still regret doing so to this day, so 30$ won't stop me from supporting Introversion, my fav studio.

Hell, they were indie before it was cool...
fantafuzz
level0

Postby fantafuzz » Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:02 pm

Lord_thorr wrote:I'm not complaining, not really. I'm just stating that, sadly, that price tag is just way above what I was willing to spend in this promising game, I don't mean to offend anyone.

According to the PC gamer interview they did this to make sure only those who really wanted the game, and who really wanted to supply good feedback about bugs and stuff are playing the game. It is actually so high to keep all those sheep who would buy it and say "So many bugs, it sucks", out of the alpha.
crummett
level2
level2

Postby crummett » Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:12 pm

its £19 for a game. how is that too much. we get the full version when its done so!?
ian76g
level1
level1

Postby ian76g » Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:30 pm

The "addon" maps to Battlefield 3 are labeled 50$ - and those are only new maps....
Stardog
level1
level1

Postby Stardog » Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:33 pm

fantafuzz wrote:
Lord_thorr wrote:I'm not complaining, not really. I'm just stating that, sadly, that price tag is just way above what I was willing to spend in this promising game, I don't mean to offend anyone.

According to the PC gamer interview they did this to make sure only those who really wanted the game, and who really wanted to supply good feedback about bugs and stuff are playing the game. It is actually so high to keep all those sheep who would buy it and say "So many bugs, it sucks", out of the alpha.

Good point. They are the last people we want here.

And it's not Introversion's fault that some dev's have devalued the profession by selling their games for £4.

If you do that, people start to expect that price for everything. It happens in web design too, with just-out-of-college guys charging £25, vs the usual £350+ it should really cost.

Introversion have a track record of making good games and can get away with the higher price.
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:40 pm

Stardog wrote:Introversion have a track record of making good games and can get away with the higher price.

No they can't.

Even ignoring for a moment that Multiwinia sold poorly enough that they were doing sales barely a month post release, the competition IV is facing now is miles beyond what they did in the past.

They're asking more than the likes of Minecraft or Torchlight 2 for people to test their game. Which quite frankly sounds like they misunderstood the point of these kind of alphas to begin with.

I'm not saying that their logic for doing so is wrong, but I do feel like it's kind of insulting and they did a poor job justifying it.
DonGonzo
level1
level1

Postby DonGonzo » Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:47 pm

Even ignoring for a moment that Multiwinia sold poorly enough that they were doing sales barely a month post release, the competition IV is facing now is miles beyond what they did in the past.

They're asking more than the likes of Minecraft or Torchlight 2 for people to test their game. Which quite frankly sounds like they misunderstood the point of these kind of alphas to begin with.

I like IV, I like their games and I like small studios and businesses. What free market is about is choosing what you spend your earned money on. If you think the price is too high, simply don't buy it and wait for the price to drop, which it will if demand for the software is not great enough and/or IV urgently has bills to pay.

I'm not overly fond of the paid beta/alpha business model, but it is far more forgivable from a studio that will a: actually fix problems found with the software and b: isn't a billion dollar multinational publisher/studio with thousands of employees. If you want to complain about paid betas, take your butt over to the EA forums.

Return to “General”