30$+ Price tag = No thanks

General chit-chat and minor questions about just about anything

Moderator: NBJeff

Gazius
level0

Postby Gazius » Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:43 am

This seems like an interesting concept and I hope it succeeds, but nothing about it says $30. I'd be willing to pay $10 for access to an alpha of this game, but otherwise I look forward to paying $5 or less on steam for a finished product.
thedarkknightrises
level1
level1

Postby thedarkknightrises » Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:31 am

DonGonzo wrote:
Even ignoring for a moment that Multiwinia sold poorly enough that they were doing sales barely a month post release, the competition IV is facing now is miles beyond what they did in the past.

They're asking more than the likes of Minecraft or Torchlight 2 for people to test their game. Which quite frankly sounds like they misunderstood the point of these kind of alphas to begin with.

I like IV, I like their games and I like small studios and businesses. What free market is about is choosing what you spend your earned money on. If you think the price is too high, simply don't buy it and wait for the price to drop, which it will if demand for the software is not great enough and/or IV urgently has bills to pay.

I'm not overly fond of the paid beta/alpha business model, but it is far more forgivable from a studio that will a: actually fix problems found with the software and b: isn't a billion dollar multinational publisher/studio with thousands of employees. If you want to complain about paid betas, take your butt over to the EA forums.

This*
Darkroot
level0

Postby Darkroot » Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:17 am

crummett wrote:
Xocrates wrote:
Stardog wrote:
They're asking more than the likes of Minecraft or Torchlight 2 for people to test their game. Which quite frankly sounds like they misunderstood the point of these kind of alphas to begin with..

I don't get your point at all. you'll get the finished product as part of the price you pay now anyway. you aren't paying to test their game. you're paying for the game early which may contain bugs which you'll then report to help make the final game better.

you get the game early, the game looks great, it's only $30/£19. If that's breaking your bank then you should be spending time furthering your career, not playing video games ;-)

That's what alot of people are probably doing. If you are in school you probably have a little spare time randomly strew around your schedule. It's a pretty arrogant blanket statement to make and yes to some people $30 is too much period. There is no discussion over it you don't know how they are financially. I can tell you that being a full time student drains any money you have or had pretty fast.

Also this seems more of a barrier to people with little money to spare. You a fan? Been watching this game since it was announced?
Willing to contribute to the alpha the best you can? Great and one last thing do you have $30? No, okay then on to the next person. Which might as well be someone that just has alot of money and doesn't contribute to the game in anyway. Great system if you want money bad system if you want helpful people.

That's my personal opinion of this.
Stardog
level1
level1

Postby Stardog » Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:35 am

Please fix you're quotes, people. I did not write that...
hotmachina
level1
level1

Postby hotmachina » Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:38 am

Part of the reward of being in an alpha is that developers tend to genuinely reflect on what feedback testers give, this allows in a very small way for you to have some influence in the game creation, I find that to be worth it.
Legion303
level1
level1

Postby Legion303 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:23 pm

Xocrates wrote:They're asking more than the likes of Minecraft or Torchlight 2 for people to test their game.

I don't see it that way. Rather, I get the *opportunity* to play the game early, for what I'm guessing is the same price I would have to pay for the retail version when it's ready months down the line. And if I just want to play this game early and have access to the forums and wiki, I can go ahead and enjoy myself--IV didn't chain me in a cell to force me to write bug reports.

$30 is a bit high in comparison to their other games. I paid $35 to get the soundtrack, even though I can get that by extracting the .ogg files from sound.dat like usual. I paid it for the same reason I have multiple copies of the other games across several platforms: I believe in IV and trust that they're not going to let me down.

On the other hand, people need to stop piling on those who think the price is too high.
Hessen
level3
level3

Postby Hessen » Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:38 pm

I don't understand why anyone would be against paying to test a game, or think it's a weird new concept.

If you look at some of the big name games over recent years, the amount of people who would sell their firstborn for beta keys is huge.

My friend had a closed beta testing weekend for SWTOR two years ago (a year before release) and sold it for £200.
mik3k
level1
level1

Postby mik3k » Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:10 am

This link says 1000 sales and raised over $100,000. That's an average of $100 per copy?? That must be some very generous fans.

http://www.pcgamesn.com/indie/prison-ar ... ver-100000
Masochist
level1
level1

Postby Masochist » Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:26 am

Another way to look at it...since people are complaining so much...

Its not 30$ to test the game.

Its 30$ to pre-order...and that pre-order affords you alpha access as a freebie.
BikeMan
level1
level1

Postby BikeMan » Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:23 am

If they added a 10 or 20 dollar tier they would get a lot more quantity of donations. 20 dudes in my live stream wanted the hell out of it but just could not justify the expenditure in the face of monthly cost of living expenses. Of course a pricing change would now cause friction with the 30 dollar crowd, so it's a bit of quandary.
Masochist
level1
level1

Postby Masochist » Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:30 am

If they can spend $20 why can they not save $30?

I bet if people learned a little money management and patience they would find they could buy many many things.
Mas Tnega
level5
level5

Postby Mas Tnega » Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:44 am

Why not charge $50? I mean, they only have to be that little bit more patient and more sensible with their money.

It's not like it would be 3 times any equivalent or anything.
Masochist
level1
level1

Postby Masochist » Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:48 am

Mas Tnega wrote:Why not charge $50? I mean, they only have to be that little bit more patient and more sensible with their money.

It's not like it would be 3 times any equivalent or anything.

$30 != $50

also saving $10 extra is not the same as having to save $30....

something tells me you missed my point.
Mas Tnega
level5
level5

Postby Mas Tnega » Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:49 am

Far as I can tell, you said "Why can't they just have more money?"

So I said, "Why can't they just need more money?"
level1
level1

Postby 0235 » Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:13 am

well i agree with IV's reasoning for this. if it were $10 or $20, that would allow amlmost anyonein, and all those people would just moan about bugs. if i saw a $10 game and brought it, of course i would moan about bugs, but the $30 is a big enough barrier to entry to only allow the most hardcore people in

Return to “General”