Poll on Alpha Price

General chit-chat and minor questions about just about anything

Moderator: NBJeff

How much will you pay for Alpha acces ? ( knowing that the price will probably grown with beta and final release )

0 - 5 £ ( A Burger )
2
3%
5 - 10 £ ( A Pizza )
11
14%
10 - 15 £ ( A Dvd )
13
17%
15 - 20 £ ( A Blueray )
9
12%
20 £ and beyond ( Just take my money )
42
55%
 
Total votes: 77
Mas Tnega
level5
level5
Posts: 7898
Joined: Sat Mar 02, 2002 11:54 pm
Location: Edinburgh
Contact:

Postby Mas Tnega » Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:03 pm

Jordy... wrote:Well what is your motive for your desire to help them by giving feedback?

To help in making a game that doesn't suck on a technical level.
To see personally what goes in and comes out of the game and why.
To have a much stronger incentive to actively try to break the ever-living crap out of it?
Last edited by Mas Tnega on Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jordy...
level5
level5
Posts: 2367
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:57 pm

Postby Jordy... » Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:03 pm

I wish I was in FTL beta.. :( how is it?
Cuz fuck logic
User avatar
Joker Dan
level0
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:01 am
Location: Here and there...

Postby Joker Dan » Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:21 am

Not that my opinion matters too much being new here, but free access to the alpha is always great, but I would happily pay for an alpha version to test and give feedback for, anything ~£30 providing we are also paying for a pre-order of the game.
User avatar
koshensky
level3
level3
Posts: 407
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:57 pm
Location: Cornwall

Postby koshensky » Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:01 pm

I don't get the whole issue about separating the game itself from the fact that I need to pay for it. Ok, it might be in Alpha stages, but as a long-time fan of Introversion I would love the opportunity to help shape it and improve it anyway. I wouldn't expect to have to pay exclusively for the privilege of course, but that's not what we'd be doing. We'd be paying for the game, just as we would if it were released normally, but rather than a finished product we get to actually participate in making it better.

When we've all finished bug-fixing and the game gets officially released, it's not like we'll be paying again for the game, we'll just get the final released rolled out to us (or however the payment structure would work, maybe we pay the remaining 75% or whatnot). Point being - we won't be paying extra to alpha test. If anything, we'll pay less.
zangdar86
level1
level1
Posts: 69
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:08 am
Location: France

Postby zangdar86 » Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:18 pm

For me, it s just like a kickstarter but where all the money goes to IV ( which is a plus ) so, you ll have the final game and you can help IV ! What else ?
David29
level0
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:04 pm

Postby David29 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:58 pm

People are confusing "pre-ordering the game and receiving the privilege of being able to test the Alpha" with "paying to test the Alpha". You aren't paying to test the Alpha - you are receiving early access to the game so that you can provide feedback and influence the development of the game. What I find ironic is that people complain when devs don't acknowledge the players and their views and opinions.
Mas Tnega
level5
level5
Posts: 7898
Joined: Sat Mar 02, 2002 11:54 pm
Location: Edinburgh
Contact:

Postby Mas Tnega » Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:09 pm

You say that, but you're still paying for a thing that has no particular reason to cost $30.
crummett
level2
level2
Posts: 110
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:04 pm
Location: United Kingdom
Contact:

Postby crummett » Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:15 pm

Mas Tnega wrote:You say that, but you're still paying for a thing that has no particular reason to cost $30.


your paying to help the game exist in a playable form. You want to play so you contribute in order to play. easy
Lyx
level0
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:56 pm

Postby Lyx » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:56 pm

Quick comment about those people who are on the "feedback is valueable, one shouldn't have to pay, and actually ANYONE should be able to give feedback"-wagon:

You're forgetting something - regardless of if the group of those who can give feedback is "closed" or "open", a lot of feedback is sub-par quality, and it takes effort and energy (DEV-TIME!) to process feedback.

So, feedback always has a cost for the developers (processing).... feedback becomes useful and valueable, when the benefit of the feedback weights higher than the cost of processing it.

In theory, the ideal feedback-group would be closed and magically only consist of people giving at minimum average quality feedback.

Of course, this "magic" doesn't exist in practice. In practice, you don't know ahead of time, if some stranger will be a good alpha-tester. So you're in a dilemma: If you give more people access to the tester-team, you may get more useful testers, or not.... but the effort of processing feedback also will go up.

The "paid"-thingie is a double-edged sword.... ignoring business consideration, it DOES tend to reduce people who just want to play for free, and not return anything..... it however - as others mentioned - will also exclude some possible useful testers, who just do not want, or are not able, to pay.

At this point, i semi-agree with what someone else said earlier: IV should give anyone who in the past proved to be useful testers, free access. Seriously, if quality feedback is your concern, then nothing is more efficient than people of whom you KNOW ALREADY that they'll be useful. Those kinds of people actually are WORTH MONEY... letting them provide useful feedback for free, would actually be like asking them a favour, not "being nice to them".
Mas Tnega
level5
level5
Posts: 7898
Joined: Sat Mar 02, 2002 11:54 pm
Location: Edinburgh
Contact:

Postby Mas Tnega » Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:49 pm

crummett wrote:
Mas Tnega wrote:You say that, but you're still paying for a thing that has no particular reason to cost $30.


your paying to help the game exist in a playable form. You want to play so you contribute in order to play. easy
You say that, but you're still paying for a thing that has no particular reason to cost $30.
David29
level0
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:04 pm

Postby David29 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:02 am

Mas Tnega wrote:You say that, but you're still paying for a thing that has no particular reason to cost $30.


You're basing that that on what, exactly?

Also, are you talking about in relation to the finished product or how it stands currently? If you mean the former, then I disagree - I have paid more than £20/$30 for games which have been less fun to play. If you mean the latter, then your argument is very flawed as the price is representative of a pre-order for a final game - not that of an Alpha.

Return to “General”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests