Poll on Alpha Price

General chit-chat and minor questions about just about anything

Moderator: NBJeff

How much will you pay for Alpha acces ? ( knowing that the price will probably grown with beta and final release )

0 - 5 £ ( A Burger )
2
3%
5 - 10 £ ( A Pizza )
11
14%
10 - 15 £ ( A Dvd )
13
17%
15 - 20 £ ( A Blueray )
9
12%
20 £ and beyond ( Just take my money )
42
55%
 
Total votes: 77
Jordy...
level5
level5
Posts: 2367
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:57 pm

Postby Jordy... » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:32 pm

I'd be hard-pressed to pre-order it now if I'd only get early access 2 weeks before final release. Giving access now to pre-orders will generate more pre-orders. Separating testing would be wholly impracticable, first of all, would pre-orders not be allowed to give feedback and report bugs, or would this be yet another division.

And how do you justify handing out free keys to some people yet let other people pay for the privilege to play the game? You would really have be sure that whoever gets a free-key will be his money worth by extensively testing your game and then still, those who did pay might give a lot of valuable feedback as well, how is it fair they were not picked to be granted free access? Just because they were not known to IV beforehand?

Also, even-though there might be some people out there more interested in testing a game then actually playing it, I doubt it will be a lot of them. But most likely those would come from within this community and they should in some way also be the most likely persons to pay if only to support IV and show them gratitude for keeping these forums running and having created this community.

Also, finding bugs in PA, seems like is half the fun, judging from the twitter feed, so in a sense you WILL be playing the game while testing it, which would justify your purchase.
Cuz fuck logic
User avatar
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5
Posts: 10803
Joined: Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:46 pm
Location: The Multiverse

Postby Ace Rimmer » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:43 pm

An argument could be made for seperation of privledges.

1. Pre-order and get to play the alpha now and when it's released, plus any enhancements. You do not have access to alpha related subforums.

2. Sign up as a tester and only have access to alpha and beta RC's.

These two groups aren't mutually exclusive as you could pre-order and sign up to test. In practice, there's no way to keep testing pure and free from people who just complain, unless you hire a team.

One other item you might have not considered; pre-ordering 2-weeks prior would most likely give you a decent discount. Some will buy the alpha just for that.
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast...
Jordy...
level5
level5
Posts: 2367
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:57 pm

Postby Jordy... » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:49 pm

A lot of people would be tempted, including me, to just sign up as a tester and don't bother buying the actual game because they played enough in the alpha/beta.

Also, allowing pre-ordering a few months before launch will most likely generate far more purchasers then if you only start it 2 weeks before launch.
Cuz fuck logic
zangdar86
level1
level1
Posts: 69
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:08 am
Location: France

Postby zangdar86 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:51 pm

Honestly, And as of today, i want play the alpha as i want help ( if i can ) to the developplement. In every beta test i made ( warcraft 3, starcraft II, dawn of war 1 and anno 2070 ) it was indeed more funny to find bug or unbalances than play the finak game instead.

But, I remember the day when I was something like 13 years on which i discover a little indie game called Uplink. It was with a few other game one of my best memory of gamer ( not defcon and darwinia even if i enjoyed it ).

I was very impress by subversion and follow the few update time to time. The birth of PA was for me the sign that the Introversion that made Uplink was not dead. A gameplay that seem complex, possibilities, a design that only Introversion can made.

To sum up, when i was taken in the beta test quoted below I was really happy to help. But as of Introversion, not only will I be happy, but glad to be part of the adventure even if i m totaly useless. This early alpha is a way to be part of the bugfinding of the First Indie Company I discover. Yeah, I Love you Introversion, but I still will kill darwinian until getting my hand on the alpha :).
User avatar
jelco
level5
level5
Posts: 6018
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2006 7:45 am
Location: Cygnus X-1
Contact:

Postby jelco » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:58 pm

Jordy... wrote:I'd be hard-pressed to pre-order it now if I'd only get early access 2 weeks before final release. Giving access now to pre-orders will generate more pre-orders. Separating testing would be wholly impracticable, first of all, would pre-orders not be allowed to give feedback and report bugs, or would this be yet another division.

Why would separating them be impractical, considering it's been proven to work in the past? As for your second point: It looks as if you think that without letting pre-orderers join in, the tester group is impractically small, but quantity does not equal quality. You seem to be missing the point that people pre-ordering for the sake of early access generally cannot be relied upon to actually give (useful) feedback. (If this wasn't your point, please clarify.)

Jordy... wrote:And how do you justify handing out free keys to some people yet let other people pay for the privilege to play the game? You would really have be sure that whoever gets a free-key will be his money worth by extensively testing your game and then still, those who did pay might give a lot of valuable feedback as well, how is it fair they were not picked to be granted free access? Just because they were not known to IV beforehand?

Giving out keys as a reward to testers was not actually part of the discussion until now, but since you brought it up: I'd be okay with letting that one slide. You should take into account though that keys were - in the past - only handed to beta testers, not alpha testers, and the beta tester group is significantly smaller and specifically selected from the alpha group. There definitely is some degree of access control to those keys.

Jordy... wrote:Also, even-though there might be some people out there more interested in testing a game then actually playing it, I doubt it will be a lot of them.

If I look at the Multiwinia tests, I say the group of testers that never actively took up playing the game after release contributed roughly 50% of the feedback. Again, the disparity of quantity and quality.

Jordy... wrote:But most likely those would come from within this community and they should in some way also be the most likely persons to pay if only to support IV and show them gratitude for keeping these forums running and having created this community.

Going on this, being an active member of the community and contributing significantly (sacrificing a lot of free time no less) isn't worth anything if you don't actually pay? That's fucked up. Here's something to make you think: If I would have charged money for the Multiwinia Ladder, both for the countless hours I put into it and the actual money I pay to keep it online, you can think of the equivalent of (at least) 100 copies of the game. You're saying that one copy I got for free would be unjustified? I'm one of many people that, when converting everything to money, contributed way more to IV than they ever gave away for free. And you know what? You'll never hear us complain because we're supposedly getting the short end of the stick. That's what being part of a community means.

Jordy... wrote:Also, finding bugs in PA, seems like is half the fun, judging from the twitter feed, so in a sense you WILL be playing the game while testing it, which would justify your purchase.

Testing is completely different from playing a game. That aside, you're missing the point. Just because you can do the same thing as someone paying to play it doesn't mean you should pay the same thing - instead of paying, you're testing. (Whether or not it's fair to equal paying and testing is a different discussion.) You're essentially saying roadies should pay to see the concerts of bands they work at, regardless of the fact that they work to be there.

Jelco
Jordy...
level5
level5
Posts: 2367
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:57 pm

Postby Jordy... » Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:03 pm

Let's simplify this, you do want to test. Do you want to test because you enjoy it or for some other reason that is benefiting you, or because you want to help IV?

If the former, then what's wrong with paying IV, if the latter, you might be helping them more by just paying them, and if that's not the case, it still wouldn't hurt them either. If they lose value because you deny to pay them you really don't want to help IV all THAT much.
Cuz fuck logic
RabidZombie
level5
level5
Posts: 2414
Joined: Fri Nov 18, 2005 10:09 pm

Postby RabidZombie » Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:44 am

Jordy... wrote:Let's simplify this, you do want to test. Do you want to test because you enjoy it or for some other reason that is benefiting you, or because you want to help IV?

If the former, then what's wrong with paying IV, if the latter, you might be helping them more by just paying them, and if that's not the case, it still wouldn't hurt them either. If they lose value because you deny to pay them you really don't want to help IV all THAT much.


Some people might be more willing to provide feedback than money. That might even be more valuable.
User avatar
christopher1006
level5
level5
Posts: 1019
Joined: Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:01 pm

Postby christopher1006 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:46 am

I don't really feel like converting euros to dollars at the moment so I'll just say I'd pay about 50-60 dollars. Standard price for a PC game I don't see why small company has to mean lower price.
User avatar
shinygerbil
level5
level5
Posts: 4667
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2004 10:14 pm
Location: Out, finding my own food. Also, doing the shinyBonsai Manoeuvre(tm)
Contact:

Postby shinygerbil » Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:04 am

User avatar
xander
level5
level5
Posts: 16869
Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2004 11:41 pm
Location: Highland, CA, USA
Contact:

Postby xander » Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:40 am


Silly un-American twit! The dollar sign comes FIRST! :P

xander
User avatar
shinygerbil
level5
level5
Posts: 4667
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2004 10:14 pm
Location: Out, finding my own food. Also, doing the shinyBonsai Manoeuvre(tm)
Contact:

Postby shinygerbil » Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:45 am

It was late and I was tired! But Google understood me.

...Nobody understands me except Google.
zangdar86
level1
level1
Posts: 69
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:08 am
Location: France

Postby zangdar86 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:47 am

shinygerbil wrote:It was late and I was tired! But Google understood me.

...Nobody understands me except Google.



Every un-American understand you in fact !
User avatar
jelco
level5
level5
Posts: 6018
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2006 7:45 am
Location: Cygnus X-1
Contact:

Postby jelco » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:47 am

Jordy... wrote:Let's simplify this, you do want to test. Do you want to test because you enjoy it or for some other reason that is benefiting you, or because you want to help IV?

If the former, then what's wrong with paying IV, if the latter, you might be helping them more by just paying them, and if that's not the case, it still wouldn't hurt them either. If they lose value because you deny to pay them you really don't want to help IV all THAT much.

It's wrong to force payment. Also, the 50 or so free copies that get handed out among beta testers really aren't going to make a massive difference in total sales figures and revenue.

You act like payment is the only decent way of supporting someone. You're saying that if you're doing things to help, you might as well also pay because that's also helping. That just doesn't make sense. Doing one and doing another aren't the same thing - just because something might have the same effect, you don't necessarily do it with the same goal in mind (and vice versa).

Jelco
"The ships hung in the sky much the same way that bricks don't."
- Douglas Adams
Jordy...
level5
level5
Posts: 2367
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:57 pm

Postby Jordy... » Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:15 pm

Well what is your motive for your desire to help them by giving feedback?
Cuz fuck logic
User avatar
Cooper42
level4
level4
Posts: 810
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2007 3:04 pm

Postby Cooper42 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:00 pm

My experience of alpha/beta testing (for smaller games / companies; it's something else entirely for somehting liker Planetside 2) varies significantly between those I've paid for and those I've signed up for.

I have yet to pay money for a pre-release version which I have then spent time on actually testing (as opposed to just playing). I've paid for a product and so I shall consume that product.
Evry time I've voluntered to test; I've treated it as that: A volunteering of time to test.

Relatedly: Testing where the numbers of tested is limited tends to elad to a tighter, more engaged group. Something open to anyone, and a large number of people, tends to become too busy for all but the dedicated testers.

Recent case in point: I'm playing the beta of FTL. I've found and reported one bug. There are more out there, but more people are engaged in hunting and reproting than I can be, and are faster at it. So I just play.
Whoever you vote for, the government wins.

Return to “General”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests