Anyone still here...

Talk about your new mod or map here

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle

Dexter78
level0

Anyone still here...

Postby Dexter78 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:10 am

Hey there...

Recently rediscovered Darwinia on my HD, played through it again and, became interested in building a level or even a mod. I'm trying to dig up as much as I can by myself but some things are confusing.
So If someone could toss me a few answers to a few quick questions that would be apreciated. I realize Darwinia is old and this forum is rather dead but here goes anyway:

1. Latest patch is 1.5.11, right? Thats the one I'm using. Is it the best/latest base to build a mod on? I read in this forum somewhere people are/were working on additions since the sourcecode has been released, so in this regard are there any projects I missed and should be aware of?

2. I'm using Icepick's modding tutorial on thenextgame.co.uk, is there any other worth mentioning?

3. I created a first rudimentary level with a few red enemys and buildings to interact with, so far it works fine, but it doesn't save the progress. When I go back to the menu and reenter the level, all previously destroyed enemys reapear and all darwinians I spawned are gone. I keep control of captured buildings, though. How do I fix that?

Thanx for your time.
xander
level5
level5

Re: Anyone still here...

Postby xander » Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:26 am

Dexter78 wrote:1. Latest patch is 1.5.11, right? Thats the one I'm using. Is it the best/latest base to build a mod on? I read in this forum somewhere people are/were working on additions since the sourcecode has been released, so in this regard are there any projects I missed and should be aware of?

There are a couple of "latest" versions running around. I am not sure what the correct version numbers are, but there is a DirectX version (1.6, maybe?) for Windows, a Steam version (I believe that is the the same as 1.5.11) for Windows, a Mac version (1.6, I think), and Linux version. The only important distinction is between the DirectX version and the OpenGL versions. There are a few features introduced in the DirectX version (i.e. the version that ultimately became Darwinia+ for the XBox) that were never backported. I can't remember exactly what they are (destroying buildings using scripting, maybe?), but as long as you don't use any of them, you should be fine. In short, 1.5.11 should be a perfectly acceptable target for mod development.

Dexter78 wrote:2. I'm using Icepick's modding tutorial on thenextgame.co.uk, is there any other worth mentioning?

I assume that you mean these guys? If so, that is a great place to start. In particular, the Goldfish's guides are fairly complete. The other thing to do is look at other people's mods and try to figure out how they are doing things.

Dexter78 wrote:3. I created a first rudimentary level with a few red enemys and buildings to interact with, so far it works fine, but it doesn't save the progress. When I go back to the menu and reenter the level, all previously destroyed enemys reapear and all darwinians I spawned are gone. I keep control of captured buildings, though. How do I fix that?

It has been a really long time since I have looked at any of this, but I suspect that the problem is that you are putting the enemy units in your map file rather than a mission file. You should be able to copy the units from the map to the mission file using a text editor.

xander
Dexter78
level0

Postby Dexter78 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:41 am

Thanx for answering that quickly!

I already checked and all instant units are in the mission text file. If created with the map editor they are put there automatically, it has to be something else... :?
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:02 am

Dexter78 wrote:Thanx for answering that quickly!

I already checked and all instant units are in the mission text file. If created with the map editor they are put there automatically, it has to be something else... :?

Are you creating a new profile for you mod? Perhaps your progress really isn't being saved...

xander
Dexter78
level0

Postby Dexter78 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:33 am

That did the trick, must have missed that step, thanx alot!
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:27 am

Dexter78 wrote:That did the trick, must have missed that step, thanx alot!

Excellent. Glad I could help.

xander

Return to “Mod Projects”