Armor Issues? (modding)

Talk about your new mod or map here

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle

ItchyDani3l
level1
level1

Armor Issues? (modding)

Postby ItchyDani3l » Mon May 07, 2012 10:35 pm

I've been working on making a mod recently and one of the big problems I've run across is the Armor instant unit.

It seems to be that you may only place 1 Armor unit on any given level, despite whether it is in a different instant unit or not.
Placing any more than 1 armor via the Instant Units tool crashes the game upon loading the level for me.

Does anyone else know about this and/or how I can try to work around it?

I was originally suspicious that the game was crashing because they were spawning inside of each other, but that apparently was not the case since it still crashed when I placed two instant units of 1 armor each far enough apart.

Also, i'm not sure if this is relevant, but the flag raised by the armor unit tends to be a bit odd. Sometimes it will be pure white, and other times it will show one of the research icons (like laser or officer...?)

EDIT:Armor seems to be a very picky Instant Unit. Its waypoint defaults to the Origin (0,0) so it will always go to the topleft corner of the map as soon as it starts.
Even if you set the waypoint in the mission_thismapthingey.txt to a different location, the waypoint will return to (0,0) in the mission files saved for users. (any time you restart the map, the armor will head straight for the corner of the map).

EDIT EDIT: LOL now it won't even let me use 1 Armor.
Oh well, I tried :roll:
ItchyDani3l
level1
level1

Postby ItchyDani3l » Sat May 12, 2012 5:50 am

Well I found something. It appears that the white/random flag is due to a state of -1 as far as orders go, but the problem is remaining.

I've done a work-around as far as my mod goes, but it'd still be nice to fix this in case I need to use armors in the future.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Sat May 12, 2012 10:45 pm

It has been a loooong time since I have played with the editor, but as I recall, there are several things that can go wrong with armour. First, you should make sure that the InUnit flag is set to 0. InUnit should only be set to 1 for squads and centipedes. You also want to make sure that their state is set to the correct state (I don't remember right off what that state is---0, prehaps?). The default state is -1, which, if I recall correctly, displays a white flag on the armor and tells the armour to travel to the origin. The other states are "hold still", "pick up," and "drop off." I'm pretty sure that there is no state for movement, as orders are not saved in the mission/save files. With that in mind, it should be possible to put as many armour units in a level as you like, though, to be honest, I'm not sure that I have ever had need to place armour instant units, so I'm afraid that there isn't much else that I can add.

xander

Return to “Mod Projects”