Seriously beginner-level question on Spawn Points.

Talk about your new mod or map here

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle

clarkhound
level0

Seriously beginner-level question on Spawn Points.

Postby clarkhound » Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:06 am

I completed the game and nearly peed myself because of how happy I was -- mainly because I unlocked the modding tools. And so I switched to modding mode and started tinkering around with all the new toys. I read through the modding guide on TheNextGame.co.uk and then started applying what I had learned. And it all went well until...

I tried setting up a Spawn Point system. I have been experimenting with all the different spirit buildings to try and figure out how to create working Spawn Points. The game either does nothing or crashes. My patience has run out, so I'm turning to the official forums.

I know this is probably an extremely silly question to be asking, but I will kiss the feet of any person who can tell me how to resolve this problem. Thank you in advance!
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:41 pm

Spawn and receiver systems can both be a bit of a pain, because it looks like their parts ought to be interchangeable, but they are not. The first thing to check is that every pylon in your system is a SpawnLink, not a SpiritLink (those go with the receiver system, as I recall). Next up, a spawn system needs three components (1) a (one) SpawnPointMaster, (2) (optional) SpawnLinks, and (3) SpawnPoints. The SpawnPointMaster needs to be linked to the SpawnPoints, either directly, or through SpawnLinks. Also note that the "global" flag controls the visibility of the SpawnPointMaster---if it is set as global, then it will be invisible when you play the level (or the other way around---it has been a very long time since I have played with the modding system---the important fact is that if you mess with that setting, the SpawnPointMaster may disappear, but it will still be there).

xander
clarkhound
level0

Postby clarkhound » Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:29 pm

xander wrote:Spawn and receiver systems can both be a bit of a pain, because it looks like their parts ought to be interchangeable, but they are not. The first thing to check is that every pylon in your system is a SpawnLink, not a SpiritLink (those go with the receiver system, as I recall). Next up, a spawn system needs three components (1) a (one) SpawnPointMaster, (2) (optional) SpawnLinks, and (3) SpawnPoints. The SpawnPointMaster needs to be linked to the SpawnPoints, either directly, or through SpawnLinks. Also note that the "global" flag controls the visibility of the SpawnPointMaster---if it is set as global, then it will be invisible when you play the level (or the other way around---it has been a very long time since I have played with the modding system---the important fact is that if you mess with that setting, the SpawnPointMaster may disappear, but it will still be there).

xander

I tried that combo so many times. I literally tried everything to get the damn thing to work, and I just figured out the problem. Apparently if you have Darwinians set as instant units from the beginning of the level, they won't affect the SpawnPoint...You have to spawn fresh Darwinians...which actually is kinda confusing because the Biosphere level had tons of prespawned Red Darwinians...So I'm probably wrong...

But thank you very much for your help. =) You jumped on this topic pretty quick...Thank you SO much.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:48 pm

Instant unit DGs should be perfectly happy operating a SpawnPoint. You might check the team assignment of the buildings---they might need to be set to team 1, and changing that assignment could cause problems (though, again, it has been a while). If you are trying to get red DGs to do something, you are also going to need to put an AI unit in the level. That could be part of the problem.

That being said, please don't reply with "I already tried that!" You haven't really explained what you have and have not tried, you have just said that you tried "everything." If you want better help, provide better information. For instance, you could try posting the map and mission files, so that others can see what you are doing.

xander
clarkhound
level0

Postby clarkhound » Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:53 pm

I apologize. I was pretty frazzled last night and I wasn't exactly thinking clearly.

Return to “Mod Projects”