Talk about your new mod or map here

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle

Snowy_River
level1
level1

New instructions available?

Postby Snowy_River » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:35 am

Hello everyone,

Well, I've started tinkering. And I'm pondering a story line. And I'm exploring how to get things working in mod-land. It's not trivial, that much is clear. But it's all a matter of getting used to the rules.

On that note, I was wondering if there was a more comprehensive instruction or guide to modding around. I found the one over at thenextgame.co.uk. It's quite good and has helped me get my feet under me, so to speak. But it certainly seems to be essentially and introduction to modding, not a comprehensive guide.

For example, I noticed over in the "New Modding Features" thread, there is mention of being able to code for different team colors.

Icepick wrote:...
- Team information can now be extracted to a text file. You can use the text file to specify the team colour, alliances between teams, and the Player team. See http://the-icebox.com/Darwinia/screenshot3.jpg for an example of this with 4 (randomly) coloured teams. An example of the file format for the main game would be:

Code: Select all

Team 0
   Colour 100 255 100
   Ally 2
   Weapon research
EndTeam

Team 1
    Colour 200 50 50
   IsEvil
   Weapon grenades
EndTeam

Team 2
   IsPlayer
   Colour 200 200 30
   Ally 0
   Weapon research
EndTeam

But, for the life of me, I can't see exactly how to do this. And this is just one example. I'm reading about new features of modding, but I don't see anywhere any explanation of how to actually use these new features.

So, any and all help would be greatly appreciated!
-Snowy
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:03 pm

Assuming that you are reading The_Goldfish's guide at thenextgame, that is basically the best, most comprehensive guide that exists. As to the "New Mod Features" thread, basically none of the features in that thread actually appear in the game. Those features are part of a project that Icepick was working on, but which never really saw the light of day.

The best way to get into modding is to experiment, see what works, and read and post here when things break.

xander
Snowy_River
level1
level1

Postby Snowy_River » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:20 pm

Thanks for the tips.

I'm chugging away...

Too bad about the New Mod Features, though. I would have loved to implement some of those in my mod...
-Snowy

Return to “Mod Projects”