Random Tinkering

Talk about your new mod or map here

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle

Stormchild
level2
level2

Random Tinkering

Postby Stormchild » Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:52 pm

For those who can't see the developers forum, here's a list of what I've managed to do so far :)

Revision 68 - 26/07/10

> Team Colours
Team colours are now set to multiwinia defaults, and can be overridden in the mission file. Now works for both sprites and models.
Teams can have their colours changed mid-mission by using the SetTeamColour <id> <red> <green> <blue> script command.
Team colours can be edited in the new Edit Team section of the built-in editor.

> Team Alliances
Team alliances default to all hostile, except teams 0/2 who are allied. These can be overridden in the mission file.
Team alliances can be edited in the new Edit Team section of the built-in editor.
Teams can alter their allegiances mid-mission using the SetAlliance <id1> <id2> <allied?> script command.

> Team Flags
The start of a miscellaneous effect section. Flags are set per team in the mission file. By default, team 0 has PlayerSpawnTeam, all other flags are unset on all teams.
>> PlayerSpawnTeam - Team 2 (player) incubators will spawn darwinians on the team with this set. Only one team can have this set at a time.
>> Eggwinians - Eggs belonging to this team spawn darwinians instead of virii. Compliant with PlayerSpawnTeam for team 2 eggs.
>> SoulHarvest - Darwinians on this team will collect spirits and return them to incubators, spawnpoints (with SpawnPointIncubation) and/or eggs (with Eggwinians).
>> SpawnPointIncubation - Engineers (and Darwinians if SoulHarvest is set) will take souls to spawnpoints as well as incubators
>> PatternCorruption - All darwinians on this team are spawned with the corrupted flag set.
>> EvilTreeSpawnTeam - Used by evil trees
>> Soulless - All darwinians on this team are spawned soulless
Team flags can be edited in the new Edit Team section of the built-in editor.
Flags can be changed mid-mission using the ChangeFlag <id> <flag> <set?> script command.

All hardcoding of the above has been removed. The game now loads /data/levels/defaults.txt or /mod/levels/defaults.txt to set the default values, before loading the mission specific ones. You can either edit the defaults file by hand, or make a mission, edit them in the editor and then copy the three sections over from the mission file to the defaults file.

> Editor Tweaks
Instant Unit and Building editor now expands the team selection buttons to fit the number of teams defined by the game, rather than just 0-2.
New Edit Teams section to edit the colours, alliance and flags.

> Magic Trees + Evil Trees
Multiwinia spirit-spawning tree functionality added.
Also evil trees which eat nearby darwinians. If a team has EvilTreeSpawnTeam set, they spawn soulless darwinians on that team, otherwise they spawn ghosts.

> Team Coloured Virii
Virii now properly show in team colours, instead of always having a red glow no matter what colour the sprite is. They also now render for all teams.

> Corrupted Darwinians
Incubators now accept an additional argument, which if positive sets it as damaged. It will flicker like a damaged building, and 25% of its spawned darwinians (on all teams) will be corrupted.
Darwinians which are corrupted use the ouch bitmaps from multiwinia (darwinians with pieces missing) and flicker between colours.
See also the PatternCorruption flag, which causes all Darwinians on a team to be spawned as corrupted.

> Avatar Changes
Added the ChangeAvatar <basename> scripting function. Basename is the filename without the number ('sepulveda' in the original). All images are loaded from /data/sepulveda/ or /mod/sepulveda/ and must be numbered sequentially starting at 1. There is no limit on the images loaded, it keeps going until the next file in the sequence isn't found.

> Entity Behavioural Changes
- Darwinians no longer follow orders from enemy officers
- Team 2 darwinians can no longer be selected as though they were directly controllable
- Engineers will only use an allied incubator if there are no own-team ones present. (Team 2 treat PlayerSpawnTeam incubators as own-team)
- Engineers no longer capture friendly control towers

> Spiders are now player controllable units
Left click to move, right click to pounce (attack). Pouncing spiders will move into range if they are too far away to jump immediately.
Once you have Spider research, you can deploy spiders as a task near any friendly trunk port

> Subversion Beam added
Converts darwinians to the firing team.
Keyed to the Controller research topic. Increasing the level increases the range, on par with the laser.
The ratio of subversion beams to lasers in newly spawned darwinians is equal to the ratio of your subversion research level to your laser research level.

> Added ControlStation
Taken from multiwinia, this is a ControlTower that is manned by darwinians instead of being reprogrammed by an engineer.
Now correctly activates linked buildings and has a flashing light once owned.

> Team Based Research
All research items are now stored per-team instead of as a single global research set. This means individual teams abilities can be tailored by specifying their technology in the game files.
- This is not yet complete. There is likely a lot of code that assumes we are looking at team 2's research. This will need to be tracked down and fixed appropriately.
- Any teams engineers can now capture research items and they will be applied to the capturing team, not automatically to team 2.
- Engineers from friendly teams cooperate on research - once captured, all teams friendly to the capturer gain the research
- Hostile engineers will reset each others progress
- A team with PlayerSpawnTeam set will use the higher of their own or the players research when checking for their capabilities

> Task Upgrades
You can now deploy off friendly buildings, not just those you actually own.

> RadarDish
Upgraded to allow you to control any friendly dish, not just those you actually own.

> Added Snow Box
New entity. Adding one to a level causes the game to render snow effects.

> Incubators / SpawnPoints
Added a new flag to Incubators: TeamSpawner. If set, they spawn darwinians randomly off any team allied to the owner.
The same functionality is available to SpawnPoints by using a SpawnPointRandom instead.

> Added ResearchCrate
Behaves like a ResearchItem but is controlled by darwinians instead of being captured by an engineer.
Will blink to your team colour when being researched, faster as you get close to unlocking it.

> Team Based Spam (from Major Cooke)
Spam now works based on its team. It attacks teams not allied with it, and generates units on its own team.

Comments, suggestions etc always welcome. If anyone wants a copy to play with, I'll see about making an executable available for download :)
Last edited by Stormchild on Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Major Cooke
level4
level4

Postby Major Cooke » Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:21 pm

Credits please.

Don't forget, spam cubes are now team-based too.

Up to TEN teams are now available (may be more later) for usage.

I'll be working on making a Mac executable for those like xander so they may be able to utilize it and play with it.
Stormchild
level2
level2

Postby Stormchild » Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:49 pm

Indeed, all copies of the above tinkering come with copious amounts of free Spam! Green Spam, Red Spam, Yellow Spam! Spam in ten different colours, all fully functional!

Note: due to discrepencies between Major Cooke's working copy and mine, said spam may invoke mass hysteria in your darwinians. We are not held responsible if your digital world is overrun by a spam-related virus. If in doubt, hover your hand over the global reset switch and await the timely arrival of a 'player' who will save the day.

Spam: now available in pink, courtesy of Major Cooke.
Major Cooke
level4
level4

Postby Major Cooke » Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:52 pm

Stormchild wrote:Indeed, all copies of the above tinkering come with copious amounts of free Spam! Green Spam, Red Spam, Yellow Spam! Spam in ten different colours, all fully functional!

255^3 matey, because there's R G B sequences with ol' team colours. ;) Although in-game, it gets dwindled down to the ten team colours picked indeed.

Stormchild wrote:Note: due to discrepencies between Major Cooke's working copy and mine, said spam may invoke mass hysteria in your darwinians. We are not held responsible if your digital world is overrun by a spam-related virus. If in doubt, hover your hand over the global reset switch and await the timely arrival of a 'player' who will save the day.

OBJECTION!!!

They have yet to kill a single engineer whom they are team-based allies with! *snickers at the older betas*

Stormchild wrote:Spam: now available in pink, courtesy of Major Cooke.

I can see the rainbows now. Hay, it's a unicorn!... oh SHIT! That's a soul destroyer! RUUUUUN!
Major Cooke
level4
level4

Postby Major Cooke » Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:30 pm

New soulless types will allow teams to either have souls or not have souls. Those without souls (hallowed darwinian shell) dont spawn any when they die. Good for using against soul destroyers as you have no entities whose code become eaten. They can be subverted via subversion as well, but they will retain their soulless state. Same goes for pattern-corrupted ones.

Dark forests are also making an appearance with the Is Evil? flag. They can be of any color, but they will not have any leaves. If team-aligned, they will munch on enemies (including soulless) and can be set to spawn that team's soulless converted deadwinians.
NeatNit
level5
level5

Postby NeatNit » Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:03 pm

I just want to say that this is awesome.

:D
Major Cooke
level4
level4

Postby Major Cooke » Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:19 pm

Heh. You can also specify incubators to have a random ally check, which will spawn any color from your team's alliances (who you are friendly to), and all alliance-controlled territory behaves the same as if they belonged to you from the start. Although, we're still trying to squash some bugs when it comes to the spawn points...

And yes, I think we are beating Icepick's record of god-knows-how-many-years versus a week or two.
Shwart!!
level5
level5

Postby Shwart!! » Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:29 pm

Is it possible to set Darwinian weapons by team? If so, there could be an epic battle of say 6 teams, 3v3, each specific team with their own unique weapons; I think that would have some pretty awesome potential.

Shwart!!
Major Cooke
level4
level4

Postby Major Cooke » Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:40 pm

Yup, it's possible alright so far...

Right now, there's two-three options you can go with... Lasers, Lasers + Grenades, and Subversion.
Stormchild
level2
level2

Postby Stormchild » Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:57 pm

Shwart!! wrote:Is it possible to set Darwinian weapons by team? If so, there could be an epic battle of say 6 teams, 3v3, each specific team with their own unique weapons; I think that would have some pretty awesome potential.

Shwart!!

This is possible due to the new team-based research.

All weapons are research based, so if you only give a team one research, it will only have the one weapon. There are only two basic weapons right now, so a team either has lasers, subversion beams or both. If we work out some new types of weapon, there's no reason each team couldn't have its own unique gun :)

I've updated the original post to revision 68. There have been some exciting new changes made in the last few days.
= Registered Uplink Agent =
Shwart!!
level5
level5

Postby Shwart!! » Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:05 am

I was actually just meaning custom combos / levels of Lasers, Grenades and Rockets, but that's awesome. Do team research levels matter for the range (or whatever attribute) of Darwinian weaps?

Also, WANT. :D

Edit: Is there any reason to upgrade lasers now? I mean, is there anything they can do that Subversion beams can't?

Shwart!!
Major Cooke
level4
level4

Postby Major Cooke » Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:16 pm

There's plenty of reasons why you should have max lasers, and that's because only laser darwinians can throw grenades/shoot rockets. Subversive ones cannot. In Multiwinia, those with the power of subversion are not allowed to toss grenades, even those that are just affected by the powerup, not just futurewinians.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:48 pm

Major Cooke wrote:There's plenty of reasons why you should have max lasers, and that's because only laser darwinians can throw grenades/shoot rockets. Subversive ones cannot. In Multiwinia, those with the power of subversion are not allowed to toss grenades, even those that are just affected by the powerup, not just futurewinians.

I swear that I have seen futurwinians fire grenades. They don't convert anything---just kill it---but I am pretty certain that I have seen that happen in Multiwinia. How else are they going to take out spiders?

Of course, who am I to argue with those that have seen the source? ;)

xander
Stormchild
level2
level2

Postby Stormchild » Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:51 pm

Shwart!! wrote:I was actually just meaning custom combos / levels of Lasers, Grenades and Rockets, but that's awesome. Do team research levels matter for the range (or whatever attribute) of Darwinian weaps?

Also, WANT. :D

Edit: Is there any reason to upgrade lasers now? I mean, is there anything they can do that Subversion beams can't?

Shwart!!

I'll double check what exactly is affected by research. Also, subversion beams are only useful against darwinians, all other units need to be killed with lasers. Laser upgrades also affect Squadies remember.

Download link: http://www.iridiaprime.co.uk/darwinia/m ... ia.r68.zip
This must be installed over a patched version of darwinia (1.42 or 1.5.11).

I'd recommend against trying to run through the original campaign with this release, as I haven't verified that it has the correct team based research settings yet, and it may behave a little oddly :P Other mods will also not work correctly as they wont have any research set for the red team (ie the redwinians wont be armed). Once I get the default team based research sorted, I'll sort out some instructions for patching older mods to work under the system. It will basically be pasting a new section into game.txt to tell it what research the red team should have.

Let me know if you come across any issues with the build, i've no doubt there are plenty of bugs still left to find :D
Major Cooke
level4
level4

Postby Major Cooke » Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:58 pm

xander wrote:I swear that I have seen futurwinians fire grenades. They don't convert anything---just kill it---but I am pretty certain that I have seen that happen in Multiwinia. How else are they going to take out spiders?

They can't fire grenades, and they are actually defenseless against beasts such as spore generators, spiders, soul destroyers, etc. They can't fire grenades/rockets whatsoever. Trust me, I've played around with multiwinia long enough before the source code came out that they don't fire grenades for ordinary circumstances whatsoever.

...Now... There is a way to "glitch" them into firing grenades. If there's a literal ton of futurewinians in the center capture point on Field of Unending Dawn KOTH, and you happen to spam dark forest retribution in the center, or possibly get an ants nest which they destroy (by killing all the ants)... They may treat the dead center of the area on occasion as if it held an entity (like an escape rocket) that drives one of the little shits crazy enough to launch grenades towards the old location of the ants nest, but only if they're at the dead center. And, mind you, this is a one in several thousand darwinians that do this. I've seen this behavior happen with every other team, too.

xander wrote:Of course, who am I to argue with those that have seen the source? ;)

Heh, I've known about this stuff loooong before I got the source code.

Return to “Mod Projects”