Random Tinkering

Talk about your new mod or map here

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle

Shwart!!
level5
level5

Postby Shwart!! » Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:09 am

Okay, the Insurrection-killing bug is keeping me from effectively testing stuff, but what I have been able to break is as follows:

Spam beams are still white, aside from teams 4/5.

Darwinian transparency conflicts with centipedes when up close. Darwinians also often have draw order issues near officers.

Everything draws over trees.

Manually terminating squads crashes Darwinia.

The textbox for input of level names can overflow, and it still moves the camera when typing in that field.

Changing mods mid-game still does not reload resources, creating issues with many of the mods' resources.

When loading a map, for 1 frame is the text 'Client lag XXXX ms behind server.' visible.

When using default lights, lighting changes based on viewing angle. Most visible on sheer walls.

Running the Prologue crashes the game.

ChangeAvatar still does not work.

The set avatar in game.txt does not work; it will for some mods use an avatar other than the one specified.

Darwinia crashes when opening the first map of Insurrection. I am unable to determine the cause, but it is likely an issue that can strike elsewhere too.

Map editor issues:
The map editor crashes when opening a map containing a SpawnPointMaster linked to a SpawnPoint / Random.
Spamcube glows have their coordinates doubled.
Research glows are at 0,0. They also blink the color of their team in time with the blinking lights on buildings.
For land tiles, the 'method' value's arrows scroll it far too fast. Low land smooth scrolls far too slow. Many other fields have speed issues.
Most value fields can be set to absurd values. A cap should probably be put on the values to keep them from overflowing their boxes.
The movement of land tiles is done on the base of the map, but position changes according to the land under the cursor, not the bottom of the map itself.

Everything from my previous list that was not said to be 'fixed' is still broken, too.

Final requests:
Could the labels on light values be made clearer? 'Y0, R0, G0 and B0 aren't the most user-friendly.
And I'd ask that rockets be reverted to not misfire when striking ground, as that removes most of their usability. Their best use was to aim at the ground near something you want to kill; otherwise the rockets often go straight past their target.

Shwart!!
NeatNit
level5
level5

Postby NeatNit » Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:53 pm

Shwart!! wrote:For land tiles, the 'method' value's arrows scroll it far too fast. Low land smooth scrolls far too slow. Many other fields have speed issues.
Most value fields can be set to absurd values. A cap should probably be put on the values to keep them from overflowing their boxes.
These were always there...
(yeah, would be nice if they were fixed)
Major Cooke
level4
level4

Postby Major Cooke » Sat Jul 31, 2010 5:03 pm

You know, I don't encounter a lot of the bugs you do because I just found out that stormchild is using openGL for his build, whilst mine is Direct3D.

If you want to try out his build on direct3d instead, wait a moment while I compile a D3D release.

Just remember to back up your stuff, in case if it does that insta-crashing thing again, which we've resolved.
Shwart!!
level5
level5

Postby Shwart!! » Sat Jul 31, 2010 5:11 pm

How different are the OpenGL and Direct3D versions? Is it worth the time to keep two parallel versions up-to-date?

Shwart!!
Major Cooke
level4
level4

Postby Major Cooke » Sat Jul 31, 2010 5:22 pm

Well, I've never encountered:

Spam always being white on all teams except for 4 and 5

Souls disappearing after someone fires a subversion shot

Trees are rendered behind everything

Squaddies crashing

Light sheering present

Mostly graphical stuff, but some other entities like squaddies don't seem to crash me.

So here's what I'm going to do... Whenever stormchild releases another revision, every time afterwards I'll host a D3D edition for y'all to bug report as well.
Shwart!!
level5
level5

Postby Shwart!! » Sat Jul 31, 2010 5:26 pm

Alright... Maybe we can find some different crazy bugs to break everything.
EDIT: I've also gotten my brother to start helping me bugtest. He's not as good at it, but he's helping confirm stuff and track down exact reasons for things occuring.

Shwart!!
Major Cooke
level4
level4

Postby Major Cooke » Sat Jul 31, 2010 6:22 pm

Good. I'm working now to apply storm's newest revision (73) then I'll shoot one out here.
Stormchild
level2
level2

Postby Stormchild » Sat Jul 31, 2010 7:35 pm

Shwart!! wrote:ChangeAvatar still does not work.

The set avatar in game.txt does not work; it will for some mods use an avatar other than the one specified.

Darwinia crashes when opening the first map of Insurrection. I am unable to determine the cause, but it is likely an issue that can strike elsewhere too.

Downloaded Insurrection to test these.

The map crash seems to be related to you having no valid current research set. I've now modified the game to cope better with this instance - it also caused the game to crash when the engineer captured a control tower. Try setting current research to Officer (which is maxed anyway) and see if it still crashes for you.

I've run through the first mission, with a modified script where Sepulveda and Greenbrae talk, and ChangeAvatar worked fine to swap pictures between the two. You have to remember to WaitSay though, as say is put into a queue whereas ChangeAvatar fires instantly. Greenbrae was also happy using the avatar set in Game.txt. Any further info on which mods aren't working (with download links if possible) and what avatar gets used instead?

Edit: Zip file now includes a dx executable. Not sure why, but when I ran it locally all my trees were white. http://iridiaprime.co.uk/darwinia/mods/darwinia.r73.zip

Edit2:

Shwart!! wrote:Map editor issues:
Research glows are at 0,0. They also blink the color of their team in time with the blinking lights on buildings.

Not sure what you mean about the spam, or the research glow.

Is the blinking on ResearchItem or ResearchCrate? Neither blink in the editor for me, and the crates only blink when being manned by darwinians (they blink faster and faster until they become solid team-colour just before the capture is complete)
Shwart!!
level5
level5

Postby Shwart!! » Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:23 pm

ResearchItem, but I assume ResearchCrate works the same. Set it to a team (red is easy to see), then look at the corner of the map where the coordinates are 0,0,0. You should see your crate's glow, and it should be blinking. This was the case in 1.5.x, as well as earlier.
The glow effects on SpamCubes are twice as far from the origin as the cubes themselves. Every coordinate is doubled for the display of the team-colored glow thing.

Shwart!!
Major Cooke
level4
level4

Postby Major Cooke » Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:26 pm

Subversion for any other team is broken. Any research for the Controller is ONLY given to team 0 darwinians. Here is what I have:

Code: Select all

TeamResearch_StartDefinition
#   Header      Team   Type      Prg   Level
#   ========================================================
   Research   0   Darwinian   0   4
   Research   0   Laser      0   4
   Research   0   Grenade      0   4
   Research   0   Controller   0   4
   Research   1   Darwinian   0   4
   Research   1   Laser      0   4
   Research   1   Grenade      0   4
   Research   1   Controller   0   4
   Research   2   Darwinian   0   4
   Research   2   Laser      0   4
   Research   2   Grenade      0   4
   Research   2   Controller   0   4
   Research   3   Darwinian   0   4
   Research   3   Laser      0   4
   Research   3   Grenade      0   4
   Research   3   Controller   0   4
   Research   4   Darwinian   0   4
   Research   4   Laser      0   4
   Research   4   Grenade      0   4
   Research   4   Controller   0   4
   Research   5   Darwinian   0   4
   Research   5   Laser      0   4
   Research   5   Grenade      0   4
   Research   5   Controller   0   4
   Research   6   Darwinian   0   4
   Research   6   Laser      0   4
   Research   6   Grenade      0   4
   Research   6   Controller   0   4
   Research   7   Darwinian   0   4
   Research   7   Laser      0   4
   Research   7   Grenade      0   4
   Research   7   Controller   0   4
TeamResearch_EndDefinition
Shwart!!
level5
level5

Postby Shwart!! » Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:53 pm

Insurrection is still crashing, even having set CurrentResearch to Officer.
EDIT: And before the crash, it's using the 'greenbrae' avatar even when I set game.txt to use the 'computer' avatar. Or the 'sepulveda' avatar.
EDIT 2: Your DX version crashes loading maps: 'Failed to load texture textures/deform36c.bmp
EDIT 3: The DX version still crashes when terminating a squad.

Shwart!!
Major Cooke
level4
level4

Postby Major Cooke » Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:28 pm

Now I have the squaddie crashing issue as well...
Stormchild
level2
level2

Postby Stormchild » Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:41 am

Shwart!! wrote:Insurrection is still crashing, even having set CurrentResearch to Officer.
EDIT: And before the crash, it's using the 'greenbrae' avatar even when I set game.txt to use the 'computer' avatar. Or the 'sepulveda' avatar.
EDIT 2: Your DX version crashes loading maps: 'Failed to load texture textures/deform36c.bmp
EDIT 3: The DX version still crashes when terminating a squad.

Shwart!!

Apart from edit3 (which was known to be the case - dx73 is identical to gl73 :P), i can't replicate any of these issues.

New link (gl + dx): http://iridiaprime.co.uk/darwinia/mods/darwinia.r75.zip

FIXED
-----

Black virii are practically identical to white virii, and pink virii are nearly identical to both of the above. (all using default teamcolors)

In the editor, selecting a building does not display its team. When the button for the relevant team is highlighted, it then remains so as it is supposed to, but it should be lit up initially.

Several mods rely balance-wise on keeping laser research levels consistent between teams. If even possible, it is now quite difficult to get different teams to use the same level of research consistently.
- UseTeamResearch <team> <otherteam> in TeamResearch_StartDefinition now causes Team to use OtherTeams research if it is better than their own.

Map light color options. Basically, the ability to set the color a location appears as on the map, instead of always orange. Probably a part of locations.txt, or maybe game.txt;
- Set in Locations.txt - add R, G and B values as three new entries after the position

Ability to use the numpad to input values.

Spam beams are still white, aside from teams 4/5.

Manually terminating squads crashes Darwinia.

The map editor crashes when opening a map containing a SpawnPointMaster linked to a SpawnPoint / Random.

- Not experienced any blinking, so let me know if that still happens (ResearchCrates *do* blink in the editor, but thats a side-effect of how they work and wont be changed)

Subversion for any other team is broken. Any research for the Controller is ONLY given to team 0 darwinians. Here is what I have:

INTENTIONALLY NOT FIXED
-----------------------

- Fixed crash bug I can find, cannot duplicate any other crash bugs - more information needed

Changing mods mid-game still does not reload resources, creating issues with many of the mods' resources.
- To be looked at as a long-term issue. Some assets are loaded on game-load and these would need to be reloaded if we choose to clear loaded assests when the mod changes

ChangeAvatar still does not work.
- Cannot duplicate this bug. ChangeAvatar working correctly for me.

- Cannot duplicate this bug. Game.txt setting working correctly for me.

Running the Prologue crashes the game.
- Cannot duplicate this bug - testing however revealed that I hadn't updated game_demo.txt, so it didn't play properly anyway :P Does it crash on loading or part way through?

Mods wishing to replicate original game behaviour are now recommended to use the following TeamResearch:

Code: Select all

TeamResearch_StartDefinition
#   Header      Team   Type      Prg   Level
#   ========================================================
   Research   1   Darwinian   0   4
   Research   1   Grenade      0   4
   UseTeamResearch   0   2
   UseTeamResearch   1   2
TeamResearch_EndDefinition
Shwart!!
level5
level5

Postby Shwart!! » Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:17 am

Maybe I'm using the ChangeAvatar command wrong; some documentation or instruction on how to use it wouldn't hurt.
EDIT: No, it works between greenbrae and sepulveda, it just can't load the 'computer' set. Only functional difference is that it's 8 letters, not 9... but that shouldn't make a difference.
EDIT 2: My other mod loads the 'computer' set just fine, but Insurrection cannot seem to do so. Grr.

Check your textures folder; what is 'deform36c.bmp'? It's doesn't seem to be used, as I made my own and it doesn't show up anywhere in-game, but it needs it to run.

The prologue has been crashing on startup, and as it sets preferences.ini to run it every time, I cannot then run Darwinia without manually changing preferences.ini. I have yet to confirm this on r75.
EDIT: Prologue is fixed. I don't know what the problem before was.

Insurrection crashes while loading Rebellion if you enter manually. If you enter through the script, it works fine. It is also failing to load the titles for the objectives.

The DirectX version is displaying Virii as lines, not their normal segments. (texture failure) The OpenGL version displays correctly.

Spam beams randomly go invisible. They behave normally, and usually reappear a few seconds later.

Shwart!!
Stormchild
level2
level2

Postby Stormchild » Sun Aug 01, 2010 1:07 pm

Shwart!! wrote:Maybe I'm using the ChangeAvatar command wrong; some documentation or instruction on how to use it wouldn't hurt.
EDIT: No, it works between greenbrae and sepulveda, it just can't load the 'computer' set. Only functional difference is that it's 8 letters, not 9... but that shouldn't make a difference.
EDIT 2: My other mod loads the 'computer' set just fine, but Insurrection cannot seem to do so. Grr.

Heres all the new functions:

SetTeamColour <team> <r> <g> <b>
- Eg: SetTeamColour 2 255 255 50
- The change will be saved into the mission file, so is effectively permanent until either the level is reset or another call is made
- This *won't* carry over into subsequent missions

SetAlliance <id1> <id2> <allied?>
- Eg: SetAlliance 0 1 0
- id1 and id2 are the team numbers, allied is 0 for enemies, 1 for friends
- The game will ignore attempts to make a team an enemy of itself
- Again, this will be saved into the mission file and does not carry over into subsequent missions

ChangeFlag <team> <flag> <state>
- Eg: ChangeFlag 2 PlayerSpawnTeam 1
- Flag must be a named value from the list of valid flags
- State is 0 for off, 1 for on
- Again, this will be saved into the mission file and does not carry over into subsequent missions

Valid Flags: PlayerSpawnTeam, Eggwinians, SoulHarvest, SpawnPointIncubation, PatternCorruption, EvilTreeSpawnTeam, Soulless

ChangeAvatar <basename>
- eg: ChangeAvatar sepulveda
- Files need to be in /data/sepulveda/, /mods/mod/sepulveda/ or in the packed data. They need to be sequentially numbered starting at 1 (sepulveda1.bmp, sepulveda2.bmp etc) and it will load all of them until it comes across a missing file, so there can be anything from 1 image upwards. The technical limit depends on the size of an integer by default, but its at least 32,000 :P
- If it fails to load *any* images, next time it tries to render it will reload supulveda - this was added to stop a crash bug when 0 images were loaded

Shwart!! wrote:Check your textures folder; what is 'deform36c.bmp'? It's doesn't seem to be used, as I made my own and it doesn't show up anywhere in-game, but it needs it to run.

Its in my source data files, and I'm assuming its in my game install as well as the dx build runs fine there too. Since it appears codewise to be a directx only thing, I'm wondering if it only got added in the dx patch. Did you put my mod over the dx or gl patched version of darwinia?

Shwart!! wrote:It is also failing to load the titles for the objectives.

Not exactly. Piece of debugging code not taken out - its listing the name of the objective script rather than the objective name. I'll get that reverted!

Return to “Mod Projects”