Future Modding Features Revived

Talk about your new mod or map here

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle

Stormchild
level2
level2

Postby Stormchild » Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:28 pm

Shape files have colours specified in the model itself. There is probably a way to tint them depending on the owner of the unit, but its more complex than simply altering the colour of a sprite rendering, especially as a model may have more than one colour and we need to keep these distinct when team-colouring.
= Registered Uplink Agent =
Major Cooke
level4
level4

Postby Major Cooke » Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:04 am

You just embarrassed the shit outta my code, I'm going to have to admit that now. I've been trying for the past few days just to get that to work and then you come along and sweep it off your feet? Good god, give me some of what you're smoking because that's just fucking awesome!
Major Cooke
level4
level4

Postby Major Cooke » Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:43 am

Also I plan on adding a few new entities that will allow you to "shower" a dynamic radius with bombardments of say... grenades, air strikes, rockets, etc etc.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:01 pm

Stormchild wrote:Shape files have colours specified in the model itself. There is probably a way to tint them depending on the owner of the unit, but its more complex than simply altering the colour of a sprite rendering, especially as a model may have more than one colour and we need to keep these distinct when team-colouring.

Given that I do not have access to the source code (hopefully I will be able to spend $45 soonish), the only suggestions that I can make come from playing with shape files (by hand, I might add). In the shape file, there is a section where colors are defined. Each color is defined on one line, with the following format:

Code: Select all

c: r g b

where c is a number from 0 to n-1 (where there are n colors used) which will be used to assign colors to vertices, and r, g, and b are numbers from 0 to 255 assigning a red, green, and blue value to each color. Would it be possible to simply add a fifth column, which controls team coloring? For instance, make it a boolean: 0 means that the color is to remain constant, regardless of team, and 1 means that it is to change depending upon team. Then the color can be altered in the same way that DG sprites are altered.

Alternatively, there must be some method for coloring units in the Multiwinia code, given that many units (such as ants) can change color, depending on team, but the shape files in Multiwinia seem to be identical to the shape files in Darwinia. How hard would it be to extract that method?

xander
Major Cooke
level4
level4

Postby Major Cooke » Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:16 pm

I believe Multiwinia's edition they were recolored black so one could easily change their colors.

I believe importing the shapes from there to Darwinia might work... I'll have to try.
RabidZombie
level5
level5

Postby RabidZombie » Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:38 pm

xander wrote:
Stormchild wrote:Shape files have colours specified in the model itself. There is probably a way to tint them depending on the owner of the unit, but its more complex than simply altering the colour of a sprite rendering, especially as a model may have more than one colour and we need to keep these distinct when team-colouring.

Given that I do not have access to the source code (hopefully I will be able to spend $45 soonish), the only suggestions that I can make come from playing with shape files (by hand, I might add). In the shape file, there is a section where colors are defined. Each color is defined on one line, with the following format:

Code: Select all

c: r g b

where c is a number from 0 to n-1 (where there are n colors used) which will be used to assign colors to vertices, and r, g, and b are numbers from 0 to 255 assigning a red, green, and blue value to each color. Would it be possible to simply add a fifth column, which controls team coloring? For instance, make it a boolean: 0 means that the color is to remain constant, regardless of team, and 1 means that it is to change depending upon team. Then the color can be altered in the same way that DG sprites are altered.

Alternatively, there must be some method for coloring units in the Multiwinia code, given that many units (such as ants) can change color, depending on team, but the shape files in Multiwinia seem to be identical to the shape files in Darwinia. How hard would it be to extract that method?

xander

Very easy, considering we have that source code too. This was exactly what I was going to look at, but I haven't had the time.
AlexanderRM
level0

Postby AlexanderRM » Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:05 pm

Shwart!! wrote:Engineer research mostly worked well, I think. Granted, balance is of little concern in this case, but I think a progression of (10,15,25,40) is fine. I know the first 3 are as Darwinia had it, IDK about the last one. But I do think that +10 per level, above level 4, would be a good value.

Wait, programs can go above level 4? Is that a mod feature or somesuch?

It'd also be nice if you could list reasons for the changes, if possible- I sort of afree with Shwart that a lot of these don't seem necessary. Though it would be nice to have Darwinians and Officers with 4 research levels- do they start out at level 2 normally? I wonder if officers could be given the Formation command from Multiwinia for v3 or v4... though I'm under the impression that wouldn't be very useful if Darwinians could get rockets. Might also be somewhat redundant with the Absorb command, since it would tend to keep the Officer safe.

Oh yeah, and as noted these features should come with on/off buttons... perhaps the creators of mods could choose to put some of these into their mods? A lot of these would seem weird for that purpose, though. The rockets would certainly be interesting, maybe those could be v5 Darwinians or something like that.
Major Cooke
level4
level4

Postby Major Cooke » Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:12 am

There's no way you can just "turn on/off" with these. I can guarantee you, the current version by Stormchild is as retail as it can get, though you can use more modding features now. I.e. I've remade the Biosphere map so it's... what, 8 different allies versus the white virus? *snickers*

Last time I checked, the only thing that wasn't working properly was ant color changing and strings acting retarded. I'd have to ask Stormchild again if he would be willing to look into it once more... at least, the ant colors anyway.

Return to “Mod Projects”