New building types 1.5.11

Talk about your new mod or map here

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle

Cyberdyne Systems
level1
level1

New building types 1.5.11

Postby Cyberdyne Systems » Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:50 pm

Has anyone used the new building types in 1.5.11?

DynamicHub
DynamicNode
FenceSwitch

I've used the fenceswitch and its working well. I assigned it to the yellow team and I can control the fence only when my darwinians are manning it. If a red dg gets in there, I can no longer control it. Works quite well.

Any instructions/examples of how to use DynamicHub and DynamicNode?

Thanks.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:10 pm

To the best of my knowledge, very few people around here have 1.5.11 (which requires either Vista, or XP with DX 11 (10?--the most recent version, comes with Vista), as I recall), and even fewer of those people are active modders. At one point, I played around a little with some of the new script commands, but I am a Mac user, so I didn't spend a lot of time with it. If you figure anything out, it might be worthwhile for you to write up your findings in the form of a guide.

That being said, I seem to recall someone working with FenceSwitches a while back, but I don't remember if anyone did anything with the other two buildings you mention. You might search the forums (Google the terms you want plus "site:fourms.introversion.co.uk" if the built-in search doesn't come up with anything. Other than that, I'm sorry, but I am afraid that I can't offer any advice on either. TGF may know more. ;)

xander
NeatNit
level5
level5

Postby NeatNit » Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:37 pm

How can XP have DX11 if it doesn't even let me download DX10?

/me asks any answerer to ignore the fact that he is using XP Home, which he DID NOT choose.*

Edit: Heh. I'll bet that'd be practically invisible on crappy old monitors.
Cyberdyne Systems
level1
level1

Postby Cyberdyne Systems » Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:05 pm

Well I have XP Home, and DX 9.0c. I didn't realise that it was only supposed to be for Vista. I just thought it added Vista Compatibility by changing from OpenGL to DirectX.

It runs perfect. Much better performance with 1.5.11 than before.

I'll have a fiddle with the new Dynamic Hub and Node, if I figure it out, I'll post a quick 'how to'.

Thanks.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:10 pm

NeatNit wrote:How can XP have DX11 if it doesn't even let me download DX10?

/me asks any answerer to ignore the fact that he is using XP Home, which he DID NOT choose.*

Edit: Heh. I'll bet that'd be practically invisible on crappy old monitors.

At the time that the 1.5 patch was being tested, there was a download of the newest version of DX (the one that was supposed to come with Vista---I honestly don't remember if it was 10 or 11---being a Mac person most of the time, I don't keep track of what the latest-and-greatest DX version is) that could be installed on XP. My recollection is that it was a developer tool style thingy, and not available to the general public, but I could be wrong on that. At any rate, it was possible to run Darwinia 1.5.x under XP if you had the right version of DX installed (probably still is).

xander
Cyberdyne Systems
level1
level1

Postby Cyberdyne Systems » Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:01 am

@NeatNit

It says in great big letters above the download button on the support page, Patch v1.5.11 (Direct X 9c).

So why would you try installing DX10 or 11?
NeatNit
level5
level5

Postby NeatNit » Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:25 pm

Eh, whatever. I guess it's not vista-only then.

My only way to ever download a patch is for Steam to do it for me, so even if it would work if it doesn't install for XP on Steam then this is a senseless discussion.

I'll go check if Steam updates Darwinia to 1.5.whatever for XP.

I'm assuming it does, which would make the "Download the latest patch for Vista" very misleading.

Edit from in-game community: win32-full-steam-1.5.10
Someone get that "for Vista" change to "for Windows".
eos
level2
level2

Postby eos » Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:23 pm

These buildings of which you speak, they sound very interesting. I would like to know what they do. Reggretably, I cannot use them-macs only go up to 1.4
My other account is Steve Jobs!
Cyberdyne Systems
level1
level1

Postby Cyberdyne Systems » Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:13 pm

Yes, I agree its very misleading.

Not sure what the differences are between 1.5.11 and 1.5.10.

These are the advertised changes for 1.5.11.

Code: Select all

==================
VERSION 1.5.11
==================
- Ported graphical engine from OpenGL to DirectX
- Graphical improvements:
   - Reflective Water
   - Ripple effect on explosions
   - Lensing effect on souls
- Supports Microsoft XBOX 360 Controller
- All language translations updated, we now support
  English, French, German, Italian and Spanish
- Fixes
   - Control towers now set their global online status to true when reprogrammed
   - AISpawnPoints can now be given a limit to the number of times they spawn

Pics of the menu for DynamicHub and DynamicNode. I'd like to know what they do too. I think they need to be used both together maybe. Any shape can be used for either. Would the Hub be the main building and the Node be like marker ports for dg's?

I haven't been in the mood for trying to guess how to use them. So I have just left them alone.
NeatNit
level5
level5

Postby NeatNit » Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:48 pm

Cyberdyne Systems wrote:Yes, I agree its very misleading.

Not sure what the differences are between 1.5.11 and 1.5.10.

These are the advertised changes for 1.5.11.

Code: Select all

==================
VERSION 1.5.11
==================
- Ported graphical engine from OpenGL to DirectX
- Graphical improvements:
   - Reflective Water
   - Ripple effect on explosions
   - Lensing effect on souls
- Supports Microsoft XBOX 360 Controller
- All language translations updated, we now support
  English, French, German, Italian and Spanish
- Fixes
   - Control towers now set their global online status to true when reprogrammed
   - AISpawnPoints can now be given a limit to the number of times they spawn
Well, I know that the reflecting water and lensing effect on souls exists in my Darwinia, so I don't think there really is any difference between 1.5.10 and 1.5.11. If there is then it's probably tiny unimportant stuff.
The GoldFish
level5
level5

Postby The GoldFish » Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:05 am

I do indeed know more.

IV seemed to get in the habit of making their games check for the very very latest directX for no real reason around that time; 1.5.x just insisted you got the absolute latest directX build that you could. I don't think it really needed 10, or even 9.0c or whatever.

As for DynamicHubs/Nodes, they're basically supposed to be a dynamic version of eg the pattern buffer system - you put DGs on the nodes and they link up with the hub and slowly score you points, and you can set up the hub to determine how many points you need to score before the hub building comes online. There was an example mod with the vista version of the game which included an implimentation of pretty much all of new stuff, but I don't think it was ever released to everyone else.

Also you didn't include the building called FeedingTube - this is simply a building that fired radar link style beams. You might however not have the shape to be able to add them into your level.
-- The GoldFish - member of former GIT and commander in chief of GALLAHAD. You could have done something, but it's been fixed. The end. Also, play bestgameever!
Cyberdyne Systems
level1
level1

Postby Cyberdyne Systems » Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:23 am

I've started to make a page of all the buildings in 1.5.11.

The description (from thenextgame), pops up when you hover over the building name.
I've only done 2 descriptions so far, just wanted to ask first, if this was worthwhile doing.

Building Types Page

Edit:
All descriptions done except some of the new buildings.

Made a nicer layout/colour scheme.
Cyberdyne Systems
level1
level1

Postby Cyberdyne Systems » Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:21 am

I've added the shapes I made years ago, to my Buildings Page.

Recogniser, Ufo, Bridge and Skycraper.

Return to “Mod Projects”