Fuel Things- Genaraters, stations the lot

Talk about your new mod or map here

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle

TomasCokis
level0

Fuel Things- Genaraters, stations the lot

Postby TomasCokis » Thu Aug 02, 2007 2:33 pm

I'll cut to the point, if anyone knows anything about how to use fuel genarators "please" post here
Last edited by TomasCokis on Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Thu Aug 02, 2007 4:49 pm

FuelGenerators were added to Darwinia as part of the 1.4.0 patch, and Demo2. In the "official" game, they only appear in Demo2. The FuelGeneration system is much like any of the other linked systems, i.e. power systems, receiver systems, spawn systems, &c. At one end of the system, you have a FuelGenerator. Through a series of FuelPipes, the FuelGenerator is linked to a FuelStation, which provides fuel to a Rocket. FuelGenerators come online when they are pumping a certain amount of fuel, which they will do when they are receiving power from three or four SolarPanels, which are linked to the FuelGenerator by Pylons. So, a complete fuel system might look like this:

Code: Select all

SolarPanel \
            \
SolarPanel --> Pylon --> ... --> Pylon --> Fuel Generator --> FuelPipe --> ... -> FuelPipe --> FuelStation \
            /                                                                                               \
SolarPanel /                                                                                                 \
                                                                                                              \
                                                                                                               \
SolarPanel \                                                                                                    \
            \                                                                                                    \
SolarPanel --> Pylon --> ... --> Pylon --> Fuel Generator --> FuelPipe --> ... -> FuelPipe --> FuelStation -------> Rocket
            /                                                                                                    /
SolarPanel /                                                                                                    /
                                                                                                               /
                                                                                                              /
SolarPanel \                                                                                                 /
            \                                                                                               /
SolarPanel --> Pylon --> ... --> Pylon --> Fuel Generator --> FuelPipe --> ... -> FuelPipe --> FuelStation /
            /
SolarPanel /

FuelGenerators will start pumping fuel the second they start getting power. They will come online once they are pumping a certain capacity. If you want to use them for mission objectives, they can be used in the same way that any other building can be, i.e. with a line in the mission file that requires that the FuelGenerator be online to complete an objective.

Other than that, your question was really vague, and I don't know exactly what you want. If you have further questions, please ask, but try to be more specific. Also, a please would have been nice. :(

xander
brice
level2
level2

Postby brice » Sat Aug 04, 2007 7:21 am

IIRC the last Pylon before the FuelGenerator must be a PylonEnd, not a regular Pylon. You'll know if the editor crashes when you link to the generator. So save your level often while tinkering.

You can download Demo2 from IV and extract the levels from the .dat rar archives (just like you can for the main game). Then pull apart the demo level in the editor (or a text editor). Or you can pull apart the final level of xander's mod Insurrection -- it has a rocket and fuel systems. Play Demo2 if you haven't already. And definitely play Insurrection.

Also, you will need to copy all the sound files from the Demo2 sounds directory into your mod. And all the shapes too. Without the extra shapes and sounds the game will crash or freeze when it tries to activate the Rocket and Fuel system buildings. I think there's also a bitmap or a texture that needs to be copied "fuel.bmp". Basically any extra stuff Demo2 provides in the /sounds, /shapes, /sprites, or /textures subdirectories will have to be copied into your mod directory for these new buildings to work. Look at the files in Insurrection.

If you install Demo2 in the normal place the game may automatically find all the new stuff. I think xander copied everything in case people didn't have Demo2 installed.

-brice
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Sun Aug 05, 2007 5:17 am

brice wrote:IIRC the last Pylon before the FuelGenerator must be a PylonEnd, not a regular Pylon. You'll know if the editor crashes when you link to the generator. So save your level often while tinkering.

Ah, yes. I forgot about that. You are correct.

Code: Select all

SolarPanel --> Pylon --> ... --> Pylon --> PylonEnd --> FuelPump

xander
TomasCokis
level0

Postby TomasCokis » Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:46 am

xander wrote:

Other than that, your question was really vague, and I don't know exactly what you want. If you have further questions, please ask, but try to be more specific. Also, a please would have been nice. :(

xander

it wasn't a question, this is just something of a record for what fuel genarators do, so a somebody new to darwinia can look back and find out what it does and how to use it

Return to “Mod Projects”