Darwinia Crashing When Running Mods

Talk about your new mod or map here

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle

Stratosphere
level0

Darwinia Crashing When Running Mods

Postby Stratosphere » Thu May 31, 2007 8:04 pm

Hello,

I wonder if anyone can help me. I bought and completed Darwinia over the weekend and very much enjoyed it. I was hoping to try some of the Mods I read about on this forum but they seem to have the effect of crashing Darwinia after about one minute.

I read the FAQ which stated the mod should go in the correct directory, in my case I'm playing Darwinia through Steam, so I put them in program files\steam\steam apps\username\darwinia\mods, but when I did this I had no option to load the mod within the game. I created my own blank mod to see where it created the mod directory and it was actually under My profile\saved games\darwinia\mods. When I added the mods to that directory they were available to load within the game.

I thought all should be ok, but then as reported above when playing both the mods I tried (Enemy Within Part 1 and Insurrection), after about a minute I'd get a windows message that Darwinia had stopped working, and crashes to desktop. When I try and relaunch I get the same message. It seemed to be when I was using an engineer to reprogram a building, but that may just be coincidence. If I go into the Darwinia\Users directory I will see a folder with the same name as the Mod (I presume a new profile), if I delete that I'm able to launch Darwinia again.

I have tried launching darwinia, loading the mod, creating a new profile and exiting the game. When I relaunch darwinia it will crash straight away so perhaps the problem is with a profile created when the mod is loaded.

I'm running version Darwinia via Steam v1.5.10, Windows Vista and tried Insurrection v1.1.6 and The Enemy Within Part 1 v1.43.

Has anyone got any ideas on what the problem may be, or ideas of what to try.

Many thanks.

* EDIT * I dug out my old XP laptop and installed Steam and Darwinia on that...and the mods mentioned above work fine, so I wonder if this is a Vista issue. I've searched the forums on Vista crashes but haven't seen anything about it playing fine in the original game and just crashing on mods. The mods folder is where the readme files state program files\steam\steam apps\username\darwinia\mods and not in my user profile like on Vista...perhaps that is the problem?

Return to “Mod Projects”