Objectives

Talk about your new mod or map here

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle

LittleGreenGuy357
level0

Objectives

Postby LittleGreenGuy357 » Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:12 pm

Just got into the level editor, and it is GREAT!!! One thing has been bothering me though, and that is how to make objectives! Currently I only know how to make one objective, and thats turn on the trunk port... (zzzz..zzzz, I know) So, is there anywhere where you can learn how to make cool objectives like eliminate the virus completely, bring enough darwinians to a safe area, and stuff like that? Thanks! :D
LittleGreenGuy357, protector of darwinians everywhere
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:14 pm

http://www.thenextgame.co.uk/guide.php

There is a lot of information there, as modding Darwinia is not easy (though it isn't exactly rocket science, either). Read it all, and keep it handy as you mod. Everything you need to know (almost) is there.

xander
The GoldFish
level5
level5

Postby The GoldFish » Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:27 pm

How To 1 has a couple of objectives;
Turn on a trunk port
and
Kill a load of virii

That might be a good place to start.

There's a list of 'events' somewhere in Icepick's general reference guide, I think in scripting, and these basically carry over for objectives.
-- The GoldFish - member of former GIT and commander in chief of GALLAHAD. You could have done something, but it's been fixed. The end. Also, play bestgameever!
LittleGreenGuy357
level0

Postby LittleGreenGuy357 » Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:14 am

Ok, I know I may be dragging this through the mud, but I still don't quite understand it...
I put the buildingonline :sandbox,0 (and that building is a safearea, set to ten darwinians, set to global, set to green team) into the objectives section, but I don't know what to put after it. When I play the level, it shows an error (null) message and the counter, but I can't complete the mission!

Help :?:
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Wed Feb 21, 2007 4:24 am

LittleGreenGuy357 wrote:Ok, I know I may be dragging this through the mud, but I still don't quite understand it...
I put the buildingonline :sandbox,0 (and that building is a safearea, set to ten darwinians, set to global, set to green team) into the objectives section, but I don't know what to put after it. When I play the level, it shows an error (null) message and the counter, but I can't complete the mission!

Help :?:

The two variables that come after it are, more or less optional. The first is the identifier for a string in strings_default.txt . That string will be displayed in the objectives screen, as the name of the objective. For instance, if you had this in string_default.txt:

Code: Select all

StringName     Get 10 DGs to the SafeArea
and this in your mission file:

Code: Select all

BuildingOnline:sandbox,0     StringName     Script.txt
the string "Get 10 DGs to the SafeArea" will be displayed in the objectives screen. The is less optional. Darwinia won't crash if you don't use it, but it looks ugly. Thus, you should put something there, and make sure that it refers to a line in strings_default.txt .

The second variable is a script to run when the player clicks on the objective in the objectives screen. The script will need to be stored in ModName/scripts/ .

xander

Return to “Mod Projects”