The demo is done! =D

Talk about your new mod or map here

Moderators: bert_the_turtle, jelco

combineguy
level1
level1

The demo is done! =D

Postby combineguy » Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:17 am

Ok, I'm really sorry about pestering you guys again, but the guide just doesn't explain this enough.

I'm trying to make my intro, it says to make a folder called strings_default.txt in your mods root folder right? I did that... only now what? I just says to make text, I tried making a text document and putting the commands there, but it doesn't work.

Again, I'm sorry about pestering you guys so much, but I would appreciate it if you could help me out once more.

EDIT: just so you guys know, the scripts are working fine, it's the string lines that aren't. When I get on the level, it says:
ERROR: (landing_intro_1)

and so on, so it knows it has to say landing_intro_1, it just doesn't know what that is... which is what the string lines are for. right?
Last edited by combineguy on Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Fri Feb 02, 2007 2:56 am

File. Not folder. File. A text document called strings_default.txt .

xander
KingAl
level5
level5

Postby KingAl » Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:42 am

For future reference, don't create threads unless you really need to. It probably would have been a better idea to post in your original thread, particularly since your thread titles were nonspecific as to the problem (something else you should probably remedy). Nevertheless, have fun modding!
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Fri Feb 02, 2007 2:54 pm

KingAl wrote:For future reference, don't create threads unless you really need to. It probably would have been a better idea to post in your original thread, particularly since your thread titles were nonspecific as to the problem (something else you should probably remedy). Nevertheless, have fun modding!

Or to bother someone on IRC. Now that I have the ability to join IRC at work, I am almost always there, though idle much of the time.

irc.uplinkcorp.net #darwinia

xander
combineguy
level1
level1

Postby combineguy » Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:27 pm

I've tried the text document but it didn't work. :cry: The guide says to put the following lines in:

landing_intro_1 *****
landing_intro_2 *****
landing_intro_3 *****

***** = you have to wait until you play the mod to find out what is really said here.

is that all I'm supposed to put? and oh yeah, YES I am putting the space at the end.

Thank you guys for all your help.

EDIT: Okay I looked at another topic, (why won't doctor sepevulda say the text I want him to?)
And I had the same problem as him, but I fixed it and it it still doesn't work! grrrr :x
The GoldFish
level5
level5

Re: What am I doing wrong??? (sorry to pester you guys again

Postby The GoldFish » Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:35 pm

combineguy wrote:Ok, I'm really sorry about pestering you guys again, but the guide just doesn't explain this enough.

I'm trying to make my intro, it says to make a folder called strings_default.txt in your mods root folder right? I did that... only now what? I just says to make text, I tried making a text document and putting the commands there, but it doesn't work.

Again, I'm sorry about pestering you guys so much, but I would appreciate it if you could help me out once more.

EDIT: just so you guys know, the scripts are working fine, it's the string lines that aren't. When I get on the level, it says:
ERROR: (landing_intro_1)

and so on, so it knows it has to say landing_intro_1, it just doesn't know what that is... which is what the string lines are for. right?

Hey

Did you download How To 1's bestmodever? It might be a very handy reference guide as I guess you could use a lot of it as a template.

Also, which 'the guide' are you referring to? How To 1 pretty clearly states make a new file, and that it be a text file for writing of the text in! strings_default.txt is like game.txt in that it's a) a text file and b) in your mod's root folder.

But yeah, you could just reply with a new post in your previous topic!
combineguy
level1
level1

Re: What am I doing wrong??? (sorry to pester you guys again

Postby combineguy » Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:38 pm

The GoldFish wrote:But yeah, you could just reply with a new post in your previous topic!

Yeah I know... or I should know that. sorry.

Anyway I'll take a look at how to 1 (the guide I was referring to was how to 2)
The GoldFish
level5
level5

Postby The GoldFish » Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:41 pm

Well, How To 2 is more about gluing levels together and assumes you have all this stuff and it works! I bet you were talking about number 1 instead :P

You could try putting best mod ever's strings_default in your mod folder and try calling those strings, and see if it still doesn't work; if it does work just move your strings over and see if they work then.
-- The GoldFish - member of former GIT and commander in chief of GALLAHAD. You could have done something, but it's been fixed. The end. Also, play bestgameever!
combineguy
level1
level1

Postby combineguy » Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:56 pm

yeah it was how to 1 that I was looking at... heh. anyway I looked at the string_default.txt for another mod, and it looked about the same. Mine SHOULD work, but it doesn't. I just don't get it...
The GoldFish
level5
level5

Postby The GoldFish » Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:13 pm

well COPY THE ONE YOU KNOW WORKS across and see if you can call strings out of it with your scripts.
-- The GoldFish - member of former GIT and commander in chief of GALLAHAD. You could have done something, but it's been fixed. The end. Also, play bestgameever!
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:26 pm

Just out of curiosity, are you hiding your file extensions? The file must be named "strings_default.txt", not "strings_default.txt.txt", as someone else managed.

xander
combineguy
level1
level1

Postby combineguy » Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:36 pm

I did have the extensions hidden but that wasn't the problem.

you are all gonna shoot me when you find out what the problem was.

I had the file as string_default.txt
it should have been strings_default.txt

*runs*
combineguy
level1
level1

Postby combineguy » Sat Feb 03, 2007 8:33 pm

hey guys, what's the deal on the laser fences being powered by a powerstation? The guide said they didn't work, but sometimes they work for me, anad others they don't... is it a certain thing that changes it or is it just random?
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Sat Feb 03, 2007 8:57 pm

combineguy wrote:hey guys, what's the deal on the laser fences being powered by a powerstation? The guide said they didn't work, but sometimes they work for me, anad others they don't... is it a certain thing that changes it or is it just random?

Try sending units through them. They are... unpredictable at best. Go ahead and use them in a mod, but they don't always work exactly as intended.

xander
The GoldFish
level5
level5

Postby The GoldFish » Sat Feb 03, 2007 9:00 pm

It's iffy and unreliable, I'd avoid using them for now.

However since the Vista version of the game has been released, I can tell you that that version of the game has all new things to make laser fences controllable properly, and that apparently those features will eventaully wind up in all versions of the game, so, I guess just wait a bit for now?

Return to “Mod Projects”