Fluffwinia

Talk about your new mod or map here

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle

shadow_archmagi
level1
level1

Postby shadow_archmagi » Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:50 am

Letsee... how much is that in dollars? I don't have conversation rates memorized. Also, the how much is it to ship it all the way out to michigan? Why do you call your money "pounds"? Don't you get it confused with pounds the measurement of weight? Or do you use a different system of measuring, because I'm told us foreigners have a totally silly and illogical one? Why am I asking so many questions?

I bet you weren't expecting the Spanish Inquisition!!
The GoldFish
level5
level5

Re: Fluffwinia

Postby The GoldFish » Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:13 am

The GoldFish wrote:Cost to US is $20, cost to EU is €16, provisional multibuys set at $37.50 and respectively €29
-- The GoldFish - member of former GIT and commander in chief of GALLAHAD. You could have done something, but it's been fixed. The end. Also, play bestgameever!
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:36 am

shadow_archmagi wrote:Letsee... how much is that in dollars? I don't have conversation rates memorized.

Google

shadow_archmagi wrote:Why do you call your money "pounds"?

A 'pound' was originally the same value as a pound of sterling silver, hence 'pound sterling'.

shadow_archmagi wrote:Don't you get it confused with pounds the measurement of weight?

No, because we tend to use the metric system for weight rather than imperial, meaning we use grams rather pounds. Plus, the context in which it is used will usually make it obvious, especially when it comes to the punchline of a joke. ;)

shadow_archmagi wrote:I bet you weren't expecting the Spanish Inquisition!!

I always expect the Spanish Inquisition
Uplink help: Check out the Guide or FAQ.
Latest Uplink patch is v1.55.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:48 am

Montyphy wrote:No, because we tend to use the metric system for weight rather than imperial, meaning we use grams rather pounds. Plus, the context in which it is used will usually make it obvious, especially when it comes to the punchline of a joke. ;)

A pound is a measure of weight. A gram isn't a measure of weight. A gram is a measure of mass. Weight = Mass * Acceleration = Force (more or less). If you want to measure weight using the metric system, use Newtons, or some such.

xander
KingAl
level5
level5

Postby KingAl » Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:09 am

Montyphy wrote:I always expect the Spanish Inquisition

You'd damn well better.
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Fri Mar 02, 2007 12:36 pm

xander wrote:
Montyphy wrote:No, because we tend to use the metric system for weight rather than imperial, meaning we use grams rather pounds. Plus, the context in which it is used will usually make it obvious, especially when it comes to the punchline of a joke. ;)

A pound is a measure of weight. A gram isn't a measure of weight. A gram is a measure of mass. Weight = Mass * Acceleration = Force (more or less). If you want to measure weight using the metric system, use Newtons, or some such.

xander

Indeed, but people love to confuse matters, and thus, "weight" is used as a synonym for "mass". Although, thinking about it, I guess it would have been clearer if I said we measure things based on mass rather weight.
Uplink help: Check out the Guide or FAQ.

Latest Uplink patch is v1.55.
shadow_archmagi
level1
level1

Postby shadow_archmagi » Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:43 am

Lol. I know more or less. I just had to cram in a few more questions so I could show the fact that I love Monty Python. Best... group.. ever. Its on at 11 every saturday night on PBS these days, and I'll also go to youtube and watch more when I'm bored. I like the matress skit.
Kadayi
level1
level1

Postby Kadayi » Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:58 pm

Heh, mine turned up at the beginning of the week and they officially Rule. :P
The GoldFish
level5
level5

Postby The GoldFish » Thu Jul 26, 2007 1:27 am

(pardon the dust sheet - also this is still a work in progress, hence the loose thread you can see...)

Yes, that's right ladies and gents, Fluffwinia is back, and fluffier than ever.

Those of you who've previously requested a fluffwinian and I informed it might take a while cause of my whole degree thing, should be getting contacted soon I guess...

Hopefully I shall be able to offer (edit) make Officers.

The spore generator pictured above may well be a one off project, and probably won't be for sale, but please post your comments.
martin
level5
level5

Postby martin » Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:13 am

I love it, I'm really going to have to get around to actually buying a fluffwinian ><

Be sure to bring some to the next release party and I'll be sure to bring lots of money :D:D

I guess that you won't be selling spiders anytime soon? since a spore generator is so difficult I imagine spiders would be too :s

Also, what's you degree in?
GENERATION 22:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
The GoldFish
level5
level5

Postby The GoldFish » Thu Jul 26, 2007 1:55 pm

Really, spore generators aren't that hard to make, they just use a lot of cloth, stuffing, and the tentacles are like 4 pounds.

RE Officers and Spiders, I can now easily make the cloth flags I'd always wanted to as I now have access to a seweing machine, however, they're so heavy that pipecleaners can't hold them up, so really both spiders and officers are pending me find a suitable (and safe) way of having a strongish fluffy stick, ideally with a bit of give.

I've had some form of gauze suggested to me, so I'm gonna check that out in the mean time.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Thu Jul 26, 2007 3:36 pm

Could 1/8" wooden dowel rods be used as flag poles? Rather than pipe cleaners?

xander
The GoldFish
level5
level5

Postby The GoldFish » Fri Jul 27, 2007 11:58 am

Yes, it could be, but ideally I want something which is still playfully wobbly, and isn't excessively heavy.
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:22 pm

The GoldFish wrote:Yes, it could be, but ideally I want something which is still playfully wobbly, and isn't excessively heavy.

What about a cloth tube (or surgical tube) filled with rice (or some other compactable item)? It would have a bit of give, enough to flex a bit, but would be stiff enough to support the flag weight.
brice
level2
level2

Postby brice » Sat Jul 28, 2007 12:37 am

The GoldFish wrote:...however, they're so heavy that pipecleaners can't hold them up, so really both spiders and officers are pending me find a suitable (and safe) way of having a strongish fluffy stick, ideally with a bit of give.

You might try braiding a few pipecleaners together ...depending on how much the flag exceeds the capacity of one pipecleaner. Or sew a fluffy tube (like Jellyfish legs) and stuff it with some of that coiled plastic tubing which is used to wrap messy cable bundles. Then the flag would have some "snap" instead of being docile in it's bendiness. And those cable wraps are dirt cheap, durable, light weight, etc... except they tend to come in coils, not straights. If you can find fuzzy rope (or ribbon), you could stiffen it with a length of coat hanger wire ...skewer. Most ropes could be made somewhat fuzzy with some abusive combing. And nylon cable ties might work just as well as wires for stiffeners -- the larger ones are fairly stiff for their size, but still bendy and springy.

Just some ideas.

Return to “Mod Projects”