Talk about your new mod or map here

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle

The GoldFish
level5
level5

Retrowinia

Postby The GoldFish » Sun Dec 24, 2006 6:14 pm

Hey all.

Following some conversations and blahdeblah and suchlike, a long with the recent possibility of new modding potential being unleashed into Darwinia, I've been thinking about stoking up a project I nearly started quite a long time ago - over a year a go, in fact. That project's name is Retrowinia, and below is a basic outline for my plans.

Basic premise - mod based on restoring Darwinia's look to that of the early graphics shown in the production diary

Will require;
Darwinia special modding edition created by Icepick, assuming this sees the light of day. I'm expecting to wait a month or 2+ for this to show up.

Basic gameplay - probably will play the same way Stricken worked, but with a larger and less uber squaddy unit. It will be less about insane feats of Squad-fu, and more about making a nice mod that people can enjoy, with fun effects.

This will basically be Stricken 1 and 1 half, and will feature Sparky, and be narrated by Shadowy Figure (Striker will not be presant)

Release targets - probably work on at the same time as Stricken Remastered (I plan to go back and retool Stricken with better narration/storytelling and effects to make it feel a little less like the first ever grand Darwinia mod)

Basic Story overview;

The time is near the end of Stricken, just after Sparky, the renegade engineer, activates a control tower far in the outer-reaches of Darwinia, making the server think Daylight savings time has just ticked over, resulting in it setting it's clock back one hour, giving Striker the additional time he needs in order to re-arm the Ghostwinians and defeat Revelation.

However, as well as thwarting Revelation's countdown timer, the hack has had some untoward effects. As the change ticked over, many parts of Darwinia were backed up before the new data was injected (a mechanism implimented 'just in case') - many of darwinia's entities, harlequins, ghostwinians, random viral and revelationspawn units, etc, as well as a copy of Revelation's countdown timer device, were also backed up into the new databanks. Then, they began spreading, and Revelation hatched a final gambit.

If his device was reconfigured, and placed in the right location, all of Darwinia could be reset to the very earliest data, added in from Dr Sepulveda's original data disks, before there were any Darwinians to speak of, and then it could be populated purely with Revelation's spawn.

There is one ray of hope however, those few transported back have unleased a fury like no other - the very first squad program. They're not perfect, but they're ready and willing. Unfortunately, they're still somewhat based on the original template Dr Sepulveda used, before he drummed out their attitude a little bit into the mindless empty shell that we know as Squaddies from Darwinia. In fact, they even have names... Jools, Jops, Stoo and RJ!; And they'll occasionally have small discussions/arguements within their group. Sparky, a bunch of Ghostwinias, nonagonians, original viral units, neo-native units (Harlequins, bugs), and Revelationspawn must duke it out across the history of Darwinia to stop the giant time thumper device that will send Darwinia back to the dark ages, but this time with extra dark!

As usual, you may be waiting a while to see anything come from this. However, please enjoy this image. I have no plans to work with anyone else in the production of this mod, unless you want to supply me with awesome music.
- TGF
Shwart!!
level5
level5

Postby Shwart!! » Mon Dec 25, 2006 1:12 am

For music, try http://www.trash80.net/mp3s .

Shwart!!
KingAl
level5
level5

Postby KingAl » Mon Dec 25, 2006 1:38 am

Trash80 for Darwinia music? Sounds risky...
sirvoks
level3
level3

Postby sirvoks » Mon Dec 25, 2006 1:51 am

KingAl wrote:Trash80 for Darwinia music? Sounds risky...

You realise that most of the Darwinia music comes from Trash80, right ?
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Mon Dec 25, 2006 2:18 am

sirvoks wrote:
KingAl wrote:Trash80 for Darwinia music? Sounds risky...

You realise that most of the Darwinia music comes from Trash80, right ?

You fail humour
Uplink help: Check out the Guide or FAQ.
Latest Uplink patch is v1.55.
Shwart!!
level5
level5

Postby Shwart!! » Mon Dec 25, 2006 2:21 am

Straight truth. No humor involved.

Trash80 also is my new playlist.

Shwart!!
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Mon Dec 25, 2006 2:34 am

Shwart!! wrote:Straight truth. No humor involved.

Trash80 also is my new playlist.

I know you weren't being homourous, KingAl was... :roll:

Shwart!!
level5
level5

Postby Shwart!! » Mon Dec 25, 2006 2:41 am

Maybe, maybe not. HOWever ( I HATE THE MAC CAPSLOCK) I see his point- assuming that he was being serious. they have some music that would be good and some that would not be good for Darwinia. I enjoy it all, but some peeps might not.

Shwart!!
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Mon Dec 25, 2006 2:44 am

Shwart!! wrote:Maybe, maybe not. HOWever ( I HATE THE MAC CAPSLOCK) I see his point- assuming that he was being serious. they have some music that would be good and some that would not be good for Darwinia. I enjoy it all, but some peeps might not.

Shwart!!

To quote sirvoks, "You realise that most of the Darwinia music comes from Trash80, right ?"

Shwart!!
level5
level5

Postby Shwart!! » Mon Dec 25, 2006 3:47 am

Yes, but most Trash80 music is not Darwinia music, and for good reason.
sirvoks
level3
level3

Postby sirvoks » Mon Dec 25, 2006 1:57 pm

I like there music.. :)

Random quote: How good bad music and bad reasons sound when we march against an enemy!

Anders
The GoldFish
level5
level5

Postby The GoldFish » Mon Dec 25, 2006 2:47 pm

When this mod is released, I'm going to make NeoThermic delete all your posts.
(And I don't just mean the ones in this thread! :P)

Not being funny, but this thread isn't really for talking about 'I like Trash80 blah blah blah'. Yes, I'm aware that Trash80 have done other music, and I'm aware Trickfred asked DMA SC if he could use other tracks of his in Arcade Remix mod and was permitted to do so. That isn't new information to me.

However, most of the music in Darwinia (Trash80's Tresk style) fits well with the playstyle and cutscenes it had, rarely being heard outside of cutscenes in fact - and those who're familiar with my mods are probably going to note that I don't exactly subscribe to that style. I also don't really like the 'sitting in silence' observed in pretty much the rest of the game. Really, the options are, use no music and let the player supply their own, or get a bunch of awesome stuff together to use, and if I can, I'm going to try and opt for the latter.

I am, however, going to give sequencing a go, and see if I can come up with anything myself. And I don't actually suck that much at music, so it might be ok.

And how about some comments like 'that sounds like a nice plot' and that sort of stuff! I'm quite famous for actually *making* the mods I talk about rather than not, unlike many of the graveyard of ideas which circulate this forum, so you can at least expect to see this.
sirvoks
level3
level3

Postby sirvoks » Mon Dec 25, 2006 2:51 pm

I see your point TGF. Everyone just went offtopic :)

Anyways, it's a nice idea.
Shwart!!
level5
level5

Postby Shwart!! » Tue Dec 26, 2006 4:54 pm

Sorry.

I do look forward to seeing this in action- it should be impressive.

Shwart!!

Return to “Mod Projects”