New Modding Features

Talk about your new mod or map here

Moderators: bert_the_turtle, jelco

martin
level5
level5

Postby martin » Wed Dec 27, 2006 7:46 pm

Icepick wrote:Please stop with all these 'seconded' posts. They aren't doing anything but bloating the thread and making it harder to follow.

seconded... um - sorry.

*sits in corner quietly*

no, I did have a suggestion - how about a way to make a script run every X seconds?
GENERATION 22:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
skull13
level3
level3

Postby skull13 » Thu Dec 28, 2006 12:00 am

I honestly don't know much about this and I couldn't do text coding if it was the difference between life and death. Would it be possible for those who are newer at this to have a chance with the coding elements because I have tons of ideas in my head and can't code so if I can't do that, I can't mod.
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Thu Dec 28, 2006 12:25 am

skull13 wrote:I honestly don't know much about this and I couldn't do text coding if it was the difference between life and death. Would it be possible for those who are newer at this to have a chance with the coding elements because I have tons of ideas in my head and can't code so if I can't do that, I can't mod.

You can't code but you want to be able to change the coding elements(?) as that is the only way to implement your ideas?...

It would be a lot more helpful if you were more concise and informative. Perhaps give examples of what ideas you have.
Uplink help: Check out the Guide or FAQ.
Latest Uplink patch is v1.55.
sirvoks
level3
level3

Postby sirvoks » Thu Dec 28, 2006 12:38 am

Well, I have an idea. Make it possible to turn off/on AISpawnPoints dynamically from scripts
martin
level5
level5

Postby martin » Thu Dec 28, 2006 9:12 am

Montyphy wrote:
skull13 wrote:I honestly don't know much about this and I couldn't do text coding if it was the difference between life and death. Would it be possible for those who are newer at this to have a chance with the coding elements because I have tons of ideas in my head and can't code so if I can't do that, I can't mod.

You can't code but you want to be able to change the coding elements(?) as that is the only way to implement your ideas?...

It would be a lot more helpful if you were more concise and informative. Perhaps give examples of what ideas you have.

why not have some kind of in game drag and drop/flowchart script generator?
GENERATION 22:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
The GoldFish
level5
level5

Postby The GoldFish » Thu Dec 28, 2006 12:19 pm

Because that's 1000 times more complicated to code than the existing system and gives no additional advancement to the scope of modding darwinia? Go and make an out-of-game one (in C++) to see how easy it is(n't)

Basically, I'd say it's a waste of (valuable) time. Especially when you consider that they'll still have to go outside of the game to do so many other things anyway. I can understand that scripting can look daunting at first and this might help new modders get into their stride, but it's really, really easy to use once you take that first little step.

In fact, it might be easier for 'someone' to make a syntax file for ConText which'd do half the job of simplifying the process anyway...
shinygerbil
level5
level5
Location: Out, finding my own food. Also, doing the shinyBonsai Manoeuvre(tm)

Postby shinygerbil » Thu Dec 28, 2006 4:53 pm

The GoldFish wrote:StaticSprite building - just creates a flat plane with the supplied image on it, with scaling options ideally

That would be incredible. For me, at least. So long as we could change the size and orientation sufficiently. :D

Still, I don't have the time for modding anymore, and I lost the mod I was working on (no big loss really, most of my ideas became unoriginal/obsolete with the release of all the good ones out there)!
The GoldFish
level5
level5

Postby The GoldFish » Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:53 pm

Oh yeah, one other possibly helpful thing was a key which randomly rotated the selected building, since manually and randomly rotating a few dozen buildings gets old fast.

re static sprite - if it was flat on the ground or vertical wasn't originally even considered - I suppose having the option would be important since both are useful!
martin
level5
level5

Postby martin » Thu Jan 04, 2007 2:06 pm

how about a thing where you can set which teams you can control with officers and with controller grenades?
sirvoks
level3
level3

Postby sirvoks » Thu Jan 04, 2007 3:22 pm

I forgot if it's already suggested, but, scripted explosions.
Shwart!!
level5
level5

Postby Shwart!! » Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:18 am

Question (teamsettings):
If a team2 incubator makes team0 DGs, what happens if teams 0 and 2 aren't allied? Can you change the team that they're made on?
Tricycle21
level2
level2

Postby Tricycle21 » Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:44 pm

And as well as officers. A team0 DG turns into team2, but a team2 DG turns into neither team0 nor team2. What will it be?
Edit: Team0/2 spams don't work very well, too.
Icepick
level5
level5

Postby Icepick » Sun Jan 07, 2007 11:49 am

martin wrote:how about a thing where you can set which teams you can control with officers and with controller grenades?

You can do that depending on which teams you are allied with. I've not tested it with controller's yet but I can't see any reason why the same wouldn't be true.

As for these specific unit/team issues, they'll just have to be fixed as I go along.

The current things I'm planning are:
Scripted unit stat changes (direct altering of the values from stats.txt)
Large Screen Messages - like the 'Program Terminated' text that will appear.

Using these 2 things, you will be able to fake your own research. e.g., Squad firing speed increased.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Sun Jan 07, 2007 5:33 pm

Icepick wrote:Scripted unit stat changes (direct altering of the values from stats.txt)

One more thought, which was kicked off by the above: would it be possible to allow scripts to remove research from the player. For instance, to drop the squad level from 4 to 1, or to completely remove airstrike research?

xander
Icepick
level5
level5

Postby Icepick » Mon Jan 08, 2007 2:46 pm

Its on my list, yes.

Return to “Mod Projects”