New Modding Features

Talk about your new mod or map here

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle

Testrie
level3
level3

Postby Testrie » Wed Jan 10, 2007 5:50 pm

xander wrote:Where's that CTR+ALT+DEL comic when I need it...?

Ah... yes!

xander

/me bookmarks image for future use. (I actually had that comic in mind while writing that post :P )

elyea
Testrie
level3
level3

Postby Testrie » Mon Jan 15, 2007 6:08 pm

how about two extra arguments for the scripted explosions... size and damage... I would love to destroy an entire island... hey! we can finally make a "serve crash last year" mod !

and when do these things get implemented?

elyea
KingAl
level5
level5

Postby KingAl » Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:28 am

Testrie wrote:how about two extra arguments for the scripted explosions... size and damage... I would love to destroy an entire island...

This sounds like a craftily placed request to turn Darwinia into Magic Carpet.
Testrie
level3
level3

Postby Testrie » Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:39 am

KingAl wrote:
Testrie wrote:how about two extra arguments for the scripted explosions... size and damage... I would love to destroy an entire island...

This sounds like a craftily placed request to turn Darwinia into Magic Carpet.

what's magic carpet?

elyea
KingAl
level5
level5

Postby KingAl » Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:45 am

Old Molyneux game. Whole thing about 'destructible environments'. Never mind.
sirvoks
level3
level3

Postby sirvoks » Fri Jan 19, 2007 7:57 am

I'd like to see adjustable spam cubes. How often they fire, how meny beams and what the beams turn souls into.
Testrie
level3
level3

Postby Testrie » Fri Jan 19, 2007 8:19 am

how about the ability to link stuff to static shapes? so that pylons could have their line go to the shape, minecarts could ship carts into the shape, spawnlinks could send souls into the link... and *********** could send the ***** that look like ****** into the shape?

elyea

if you feel that this post reveals *** ****** about ************, then sorry. please delete it as soon as possible in that case.
skull13
level3
level3

Postby skull13 » Sun Jan 21, 2007 9:18 pm

Montyphy wrote:
skull13 wrote:I honestly don't know much about this and I couldn't do text coding if it was the difference between life and death. Would it be possible for those who are newer at this to have a chance with the coding elements because I have tons of ideas in my head and can't code so if I can't do that, I can't mod.

You can't code but you want to be able to change the coding elements(?) as that is the only way to implement your ideas?...

It would be a lot more helpful if you were more concise and informative. Perhaps give examples of what ideas you have.

Well, all I am saying is, coding is tons of work. While I really don't have a problem with making maps, I can't really keep at text coding for a long time. I tend not to stick to projects that I want to do like modding. Now, if I could mod with a partner, that would go away but since I am not well known and can't text code for my life, I seriously think something like a scriptwriter in editor or otherthings that cut down text coding.
Testrie
level3
level3

Postby Testrie » Sun Jan 21, 2007 9:23 pm

skull13 wrote:
Montyphy wrote:
skull13 wrote:I honestly don't know much about this and I couldn't do text coding if it was the difference between life and death. Would it be possible for those who are newer at this to have a chance with the coding elements because I have tons of ideas in my head and can't code so if I can't do that, I can't mod.

You can't code but you want to be able to change the coding elements(?) as that is the only way to implement your ideas?...

It would be a lot more helpful if you were more concise and informative. Perhaps give examples of what ideas you have.

Well, all I am saying is, coding is tons of work. While I really don't have a problem with making maps, I can't really keep at text coding for a long time. I tend not to stick to projects that I want to do like modding. Now, if I could mod with a partner, that would go away but since I am not well known and can't text code for my life, I seriously think something like a scriptwriter in editor or otherthings that cut down text coding.
]

My projects also tend to die unless I'm working with someone else... I wonder why...

elyea
The GoldFish
level5
level5

Postby The GoldFish » Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:26 pm

We uh, tend to reserve 'coding' for coding (like, writing an actual program in C or assembly or *shudder* Java etc)

'Scripting' is usually for script languages, like Perl, Python, Ruby, PHP, Darwiniascript (or whatever it's actually called and etc)

and 'Writing some strings for my mod' is usually used for writing strings for your mod.

Since I can script to save my life, I seriously think that a scriptwriter in the editor would be, in essance, a waste of time, and wouldn't really cut down time spent on scripting at all; if anything it would be slower since you'd have to go into the editor to edit scripts. However, I assume the problem people have is not knowing what commands are there and how to just create a script - it's actually really quite easy but it feels like jumping in at the deep end - maybe there's something easier in between the two that'll help.

Apparently even martin got his head around scripting eventually, so you can too! :P
martin
level5
level5

Postby martin » Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:59 pm

The GoldFish wrote:Apparently even martin got his head around scripting eventually, so you can too! :P

hmm, insult? compliment?... and besides, I learnt all the scripting stuff for TheDeserts, hacked some crappy scripts and released the worst part of TheBigMod (scripting wise). Now I've forgotten it all and need elyea to do it for me :P
GENERATION 22:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Shwart!!
level5
level5

Postby Shwart!! » Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:03 pm

She can script well? Hmm... *makes note*

Shwart!!
martin
level5
level5

Postby martin » Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:32 pm

Shwart!! wrote:She can script well? Hmm... *makes note*

Shwart!!

No! She can't...

o k . . . was that convincing enough?... oh, is this thing still on?... there, of *silence*
GENERATION 22:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Shwart!!
level5
level5

Postby Shwart!! » Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:23 am

Eh?

Shwart!!
martin
level5
level5

Postby martin » Tue Jan 23, 2007 5:09 pm

Shwart!! wrote:Eh?

Shwart!!

good, that worked well :)

Return to “Mod Projects”