3-D model for DGs?

Talk about your new mod or map here

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle

Co'yrtesia
level0

3-D model for DGs?

Postby Co'yrtesia » Thu Dec 14, 2006 11:20 pm

Hi, I'm thinking of a mod (if I ever have the time or resource) that will let me use a different model for the DGs. For instance, perhaps 3-D units shaped like something other than our usual flat DG sprites...is this practical or even possible?

I did give an earnest attempt to find the answer before posting this, including glancing through this forum, searching, and looking into the mod guides. I found these two topics relavent, but not quite answering my question.

http://forums.introversion.co.uk/darwin ... php?t=3564
(unfortunately none appear to be 3D)

http://forums.introversion.co.uk/darwin ... php?t=3356
(I'm not sure if the question is answered, and I don't know how to extract the .dat files)

Sorry if I overlooked anything...again, I did give an earnest attempt to find the answer first. I appreciate any feedback.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Thu Dec 14, 2006 11:54 pm

The DGs are sprites. They are 2D. There is nothing that you can do to change that.

xander
Co'yrtesia
level0

Postby Co'yrtesia » Fri Dec 15, 2006 12:12 am

If that is the case, if I were to use...say, any one of these sprites from this topic
http://forums.introversion.co.uk/darwin ... php?t=3564

then will the new DGs look the same from front and rear? Obviously there's only one picture per sprite (and not one for front, one for rear), but by looking at how the DGs move, they definitely act as if they have a front face and a back face (or "anterior" "posterior" if we use human anatomy terms), which keeps me in doubt.

Also, do I have to use 3D studio max or other 3D graphic design programs to make my own new DG sprites? If they are really 2D sprites, then I feel like something as simple as Microsoft Paint or Visioneer Professional will suffice.

Again, thanks for the replies. :)
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Fri Dec 15, 2006 1:03 am

Darwinia's sprites are .bmps . You can use any program that can edit .bmps to edit them. PhotoShop. GIMP. MS Paint. Whatever. And, while DGs have a front and a back, they are identical.

xander
KingAl
level5
level5

Postby KingAl » Mon Dec 18, 2006 12:46 am

I seem to recall a mod which used a 3D DG. It was a one-off though - an engineer with a different model, I believe.
Possibly in trickfred's 'Enemy Within'.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Mon Dec 18, 2006 1:07 am

KingAl wrote:I seem to recall a mod which used a 3D DG. It was a one-off though - an engineer with a different model, I believe.
Possibly in trickfred's 'Enemy Within'.

You can certainly create a shape that looks like a 3D DG.. In fact, that is what an officer is. However, you cannot create 3D DGs that fill the role of the 2D sprites in the game. DGs are 2D. Period.

xander

Return to “Mod Projects”