mods?!?!?!?!

Talk about your new mod or map here

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle

GAMER1992
level1
level1

mods?!?!?!?!

Postby GAMER1992 » Sun Jul 02, 2006 9:41 am

Hi! i have a lot of mods but i don´t know how to use them. How do i do?
martin
level5
level5

Postby martin » Sun Jul 02, 2006 3:24 pm

ok,

1 first extract the zip/rar file to a folder.

2 look in the folder, it will either have a single folder in called *mod name* or a load of folders and files called stuff like game.txt etc. If there is a single folder do step 3 if there are lots of things do step 4.

3 drag the folder inside the original folder into a folder in the darwinia folders called mods (it will already be there).

4 drag the folder into the mods folder inside the darwinia folder.

If when you start the mod it is no different from the original game then it means that you have buried the game files too deep, look for darwinia.exe - it is in a folder, look around this folder for a folder called mods and go into it - look around mods for a folder called *mod name* look in the folder called *mod name* - if there is a single folder here move it up ione level and if there are lots of files here the mod is broken, report it on the mod thread.
GENERATION 22:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Sun Jul 02, 2006 4:43 pm

Once you have actually installed the mod, as martin describes above, you have to tell Darwinia that you are using a mod. There are two ways that you can do this:

1) From within the menus in Darwinia. From the world map, hit [ESC] to bring up the main menu, click on "Mods," then select the mod you wish to play. If the name of the mod that you wish to play does not show up on the list, make sure that it is in your mods directory. Once the mod has loaded, make sure you create a new profile. When you load a mod from within Darwinia, it starts you out with no profile. To play the mod, and have your progress saved you will have to hit [ESC] to bring up the main menu, click on "Profile," then click on "Create New Profile." You should not use the same profile for more than one mod, as it will cause all kinds of problems.

2) Locate your preferences.txt file. Change the values of the following two lines:

Code: Select all

UserProfile = [ProfileName]
Mod = [ModName]

"ProfileName" is the name of the profile that you wish to use -- this can be just about anything, as long as it is not the name of a profile used for another mod. "ModName" is the name of the directory of the mod you wish to play.

Note, preferences.txt and your mods/ directory should be in the same place, though that place varries from system to sytem:

Mac: ~/Library/Application Support/Darwinia/full/
Linux: ~/.darwinia/
Using the Steam version: \Valve\Steam\SteamApps\[user]\darwinia\
For Windows: \Program Files\Darwinia\

xander
GAMER1992
level1
level1

Postby GAMER1992 » Sun Jul 02, 2006 5:38 pm

I don´t really understand how i "dig up" the mod! I have taken the mod folders from my folder "unzipped" into the mod folder and in the mod folder there is a folder with the mod maps and a readme. i hope you can give me some more info! i thank thee for the help in the future.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Sun Jul 02, 2006 6:27 pm

Your directory structure should look like this:

mods/
 |- Insurrection/
 |   |- game.txt
 |   |- levels/
 |   |- scripts/
 |   |- [more files]
 |- EnemyWithin
     |- game.txt
     |- levels/
     |- scripts/
     |- [more files]

My guess is that you have something that looks like this:

mods/
 |- Insurrection Folder
     |- Insurrection
         |- game.txt
         |- levels/
         |- scripts/
         |- [more files]

Notice how, in the second case, the "important" files are burried one level deeper? For instance, Darwinia is looking for a file called "game.txt." It expects to find that file in "mods/[ModName]/." However, in the second example, the file is in mods/Insurrection Folder/Insurrection/ . You would have to move the folder "Insurrection/" out of "Insurrection Folder/," and into "mods/."

xander
GAMER1992
level1
level1

Postby GAMER1992 » Mon Jul 03, 2006 11:45 am

I made it work and now i have played a few of my mods but now i have another problem! When i played my mods then i wanted to play the original game the characters looked the same as in the mods they even had the same name!!!!! What shall i do now?
TheShifter
level1
level1

Postby TheShifter » Mon Jul 03, 2006 3:01 pm

how did you fix the first problem?

also, if you made a new profile for the mod which i presume you did, did you load your old profile back up wen u tryed to play the normal games again?

tom
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Mon Jul 03, 2006 3:55 pm

Generally speaking, it is a good idea to restart Darwinia every time you load a different mod, including the original scenerio. Some shapes, the english.txt file, and a few other things do not load properly. Load a mod (or unload it to play the original scenerio), and restart Darwinia.

xander

Return to “Mod Projects”