Sound Converters

Talk about your new mod or map here

Moderators: bert_the_turtle, jelco

Major Cooke
level4
level4

Sound Converters

Postby Major Cooke » Fri May 19, 2006 5:08 pm

I need some good sound converters to change all extension formats (or as many as possible) into .ogg files so I can replace normal Darwinian sound, virii sound, etc etc with my sounds that I want for my upcoming mod... It's going to be so holarious you will be laughing your ass off... fully of stupidity such as Ace Ventura's "ALLLLLLRIGHTY then!", a couple of belching sounds, farts, the most famous "Run away! RUN AWWWWAAAAAAYYY!" from Monty Python and the Holy Grail (not to forget their "Charge! CHAAARGE!" sounds), and soo much more.

Can someone help me out with this?
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Fri May 19, 2006 6:13 pm

Have you tried this new fangled thing called Google? I hear it has all kinds of stuff from the internets on it. You should really try it out.

xander
Major Cooke
level4
level4

Postby Major Cooke » Fri May 19, 2006 7:40 pm

arrr, too complex! I CANT FIND IT!!!
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Fri May 19, 2006 8:09 pm

First, let me say that I really know nothing about .ogg, other than the fact that it is an open format. However, a very quick Google search for .ogg encoder brought up a bunch of results that look promising. The first result takes us to the .ogg FAQ. While interesting, it doesn't really get the job done. However, the next several results all look like they might offer downloads. Again, Google is your friend.

xander
trickfred
level5
level5

Postby trickfred » Fri May 19, 2006 8:17 pm

You could also try googling for 'audio editor .ogg'. Now how is that too complex? We know you know how to find the keyboard, and use a web browser. (Sometimes we wish you didn't! 8D )

The one I use is the sixth link down (Not counting the sub-link of the first link). It's Canadian! :D
Major Cooke
level4
level4

Postby Major Cooke » Fri May 19, 2006 9:40 pm

Are ya KIDDING ME!!!

Their all friggin shareware! Cripes, I aint paying no friggin $25 dollars for a converter! I'll just hafta find it somewhere else... hmmm...
nihilesthetics2
level2
level2

Postby nihilesthetics2 » Fri May 19, 2006 11:26 pm

Major Cooke wrote: Are ya KIDDING ME!!!

Their all friggin shareware! Cripes, I aint paying no friggin $25 dollars for a converter! I'll just hafta find it somewhere else... hmmm...

tsk, the Audacity.
trickfred
level5
level5

Postby trickfred » Fri May 19, 2006 11:36 pm

nihilesthetics2 wrote:

tsk, the Audacity.

Heh. Indeed. ;D
Major Cooke
level4
level4

Postby Major Cooke » Sat May 20, 2006 5:16 am

well, until i find a free one... *shits himself*

But once I do, you'll be rolling on the floor or sitting there giong "wtfzomgthismodisfullofgaysounds"... one or the other, but I love jim carrey from ACE VENTURA!!!!

High hoe Silver! AWAAAAAAAYYYY!!!
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Sat May 20, 2006 6:03 am

nihilesthetics2 wrote:

tsk, the Audacity.

Wow! Search Google for Audacity, like nihil suggested, and look at what your get!

A question for nihil, if you are familier with the program: I have tried using it to encode .ogg, but every time I do, the sounds seem to play at half speed in Darwinia. This is why there is not music in Insurrection at the moment -- I can't seem to figure out how to make things play at the proper speed. I don't really care that much, so I haven't bothered asking here, or on the Audacity forums (if such a thing exists), but if you have a quick, easy answer, I'm all ears.

xander
nihilesthetics2
level2
level2

Postby nihilesthetics2 » Sat May 20, 2006 10:51 am

xander wrote:the sounds seem to play at half speed in Darwinia.

Its not the frequency parameter in the sounds.txt file, is it? For your particular event and soundname, the frequency should be ( if you want the sound to play as normal ) :

Code: Select all

FREQUENCY          PARAMETER TypeFixedValue        1  UpdateConstantly

Now, it may be that Audacity is somehow encoding it to play at low speed for some very strange reason, but even if it is then try increasing the frequency value in the sounds.txt file to a value greater than 1 ( 1 = normal speed ).

As an added bonus, while testing this, I discovered that tresk_-_excuses on frequency 2 has an official groovy rating of 2.6 tresfunkydoodles.

N2
trickfred
level5
level5

Postby trickfred » Sat May 20, 2006 4:04 pm

xander wrote:Wow! Search Google for Audacity, like nihil suggested, and look at what your get!

...Way to take the fun out of the subtle insult, xander. :wink:

xander wrote:I have tried using it to encode .ogg, but every time I do, the sounds seem to play at half speed in Darwinia.

...I've offered before to help you out, just rar up the sounds and email them to me, and I'll convert them for you, if you can't figure out what hte issue is. I've had no such issues with the software I use.

nihilesthetics2 wrote:I discovered that tresk_-_excuses on frequency 2 has an official groovy rating of 2.6 tresfunkydoodles.

Is 'tresfunkydoodle' an official technical term? :D
nihilesthetics2
level2
level2

Postby nihilesthetics2 » Sat May 20, 2006 4:40 pm

trickfred wrote:[Is 'tresfunkydoodle' an official technical term? :D

Heh. Yes it actually is an official technical term, believe it or not. But the only official musical body who recognizes it at the moment is me, despite my heavy lobbying of the Eurovision song contest authorities. The problem, apparently, is that the scale doesnt go low enough for Britains entry, "Daz" ( hey, I wonder if he blasted Vince), although it does go almost high enough for Finlands entry ever since I included a 'freaky wierdo' factor to the calculation to accomodate GWAR. But, for your information, the tresfunkydoodle value is mainly a function of those two well known musical qualities 'sweet sweet groove' and 'flows with the rhythm in your soul'.

Now, Im not one to post a load of rubbish just to bump my post count up ... :D ... , but I felt that there was such a lot of confusion out there about the tresfunydodle scale, that it was time to clarify.

N2
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Sat May 20, 2006 5:02 pm

trickfred wrote:...I've offered before to help you out, just rar up the sounds and email them to me, and I'll convert them for you, if you can't figure out what hte issue is. I've had no such issues with the software I use.

I know, and I may take you up on it at some point. But I would like to figure out what is going wrong on this end. If it is as simple as changing the frequency, then I will have Insurrection up over 10 MB by next week :)

xander
nihilesthetics2
level2
level2

Postby nihilesthetics2 » Sat May 20, 2006 6:20 pm

It could also be the sample rate. On win32 Audacity it defaults to 44100 ( CD quality ), which is also the mix frequency set in preferences.txt, at least for the windows version of Darwinia. However, if you played a 22050 frequency ogg file with the player expecting 44100, it would play half speed. Now, dsound on win32 seems to correct for this, presumably by reading the correct sample rate in the file header, but setting the soundlibrary to software produces the effect. So, depending on which soundlibrary Mac uses, and whether it corrects, this could explain your problem. So chack the sample rate of your file.

10Mb !!! <chokes>

Edit :Well it seems a lot of this isnt borne out when I investigated further, so dont go believing any without qualifying it for yourself first. But I think Im getting a half speed track with the following parameters
File Frequency : 22050
Darwinia mix frequency : 44100
SoundLibrary : software

But it could equally just be my ears playing tricks, or my computer balking at my attempts to trick it and going into a performance sulk.

N2

Return to “Mod Projects”