To Edit the original Darwinia, click here.

Talk about your new mod or map here

Moderators: bert_the_turtle, jelco

Major Cooke
level4
level4

To Edit the original Darwinia, click here.

Postby Major Cooke » Thu Apr 06, 2006 5:31 pm

[quote=xander]
1) Extract main.dat . It is a .rar file, so change the extension and extract.
2) Create a sub-directory in your mod directory, and call it something useful (i.e. MyModOfDoom/)
3) Copy game.txt, levels/, and locations.txt to MyModOfDoom/
4) By either changing preferences.txt, or mucking about with the menus in Darwinia, load MyModOfDoom
5) Add whichever bits and bobbles that you want. [/quote]

This is for all those who want to modify the maps of darwinia, or simply add some more after the Temple level, or before Garden, etc etc... I just thought this would be useful, and i was just curious... Could you mods sticky this for all who want to find out how to do this?
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:34 pm

The directions that I gave you in the other thread, and that you have quoted here, do one, very simple thing: they create a mod that contains all of the levels from the original Darwinia. By copying levels/ over, you get the maps, missions, and level names; locations gives you the points to place the levels on the world map; and game.txt sets up the game to run the original scenerio. Any other file that the game needs should be pulled from main.dat (this may also be true of the levels and locations, assuming that you copy game.txt over, but I haven't played with that at all). You could then add your own levels to that, thus creating a mod that, for all intents and purposes, would be the original game plus a couple of levels.

xander
Major Cooke
level4
level4

Postby Major Cooke » Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:17 pm

...oh...SNAP!

I guess you would have to modify Sepulveda scripts to make him avoid talking when you start the map i guess? (and the same with having certain maps available?)
Lowell
level3
level3

Postby Lowell » Fri Apr 07, 2006 2:49 am

Major Cooke wrote:...oh...SNAP!

I guess you would have to modify Sepulveda scripts to make him avoid talking when you start the map i guess? (and the same with having certain maps available?)

I'm afraid there is a tad more to it than that. The speech scripts for the Darwinia game you will not find in the main or patch game files, I think the file must be in the exe file. For mods you create a (strings default) file that all your speech scripts go into. You may need redshirt 2 to build or add onto the old game files. But it might be a tad hard to alter the ready made game scripts because of the speech file built into the game, to remove them might be the answer and rebuild them in the newly made strings default file you will need to make.

I'm not too sure, but I have been digging into the game files and scripts for some time and the scripts are there but the speech files are hidden somewhere.

The Help system can be turned off.

having certian maps available is in the game.txt, you can make them available or Null for the game to play maps in order and write the mission file as the player moves through the levels.

You had asked about the track links, Junctions, mines and such...I have a test map posted from when we were testing the Power Station and Laser Fences. Next to the test station is a fully setup Yard building, power for it, tracklinks and trackjunctions with mines. It is fully functional. Look closely at the sections where the tracks for the mine carts split. Click on one, "move" it and then click on it again...move the second tracklink...then look at the arrows from the tracklinks and the junction, it will all come to you on how to set them up. Also my Mod has working mines The_Particles_Within ... but the test is what you were looking for, it has your answer. http://www.crimsonsun.cc/testIslands3.rar
When you pop into the Mod the camera is set for the viewer to watch the fence test...just swing around you will see all the mines and so forth, I think AirStrikes are set for 100 so be careful. :D
Major Cooke
level4
level4

Postby Major Cooke » Fri Apr 07, 2006 3:54 am

yeah your map seams to be just the... well... normal Darwinia maps...
Lowell
level3
level3

Postby Lowell » Fri Apr 07, 2006 3:58 am

Major Cooke wrote:yeah your map seams to be just the... well... normal Darwinia maps...

well the map doesn't matter, even though it's most likely larger than most all others...I thought you were asking "how" the tracklinks worked. You can take it apart and see.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:03 pm

Lowell wrote:I'm afraid there is a tad more to it than that. The speech scripts for the Darwinia game you will not find in the main or patch game files, I think the file must be in the exe file. For mods you create a (strings default) file that all your speech scripts go into. You may need redshirt 2 to build or add onto the old game files. But it might be a tad hard to alter the ready made game scripts because of the speech file built into the game, to remove them might be the answer and rebuild them in the newly made strings default file you will need to make.

¿Qué? To the best of my knowledge, all of the speech scripts are in the game files, and can be removed, with the exception of the help text, which is triggered by in the .exe. Even there, however, the content can be changed by monkeying with english.txt or strings_default.txt. Open up main.dat, language.dat, and sounds.dat. All of the files are there. There is basically nothing that you cannot copy to a mod, then alter (for instance, the modifications to the firsttime intro that were made in Insurrection.

Darwinia looks for files in the following manner:
1) the mod folder
2) the .dat files

So, if you have something in your mod folder with the same name or tag as something in one of the .dat files, it will override the .dat file. The only exception to this that I know about is english.txt, but that can be overridden with strings_default.txt. If you were to copy the original scenario wholesale, you could prevent scripts from triggering by excluding them from game.txt or the particular mission file.

In short, I don't know what you are talking about here. Perhaps some concrete examples?

Lowell wrote:I'm not too sure, but I have been digging into the game files and scripts for some time and the scripts are there but the speech files are hidden somewhere.

In main.dat, in the folder called "scripts/". Also, you can run a script in which there is nothing but talking by doing the following:
1) Set up several strings in strings_default.txt that look like this:

Code: Select all

String1     foo
String2     bar
String3     foobar

2) Call the script "String" from a mission file or game.txt (not "String.txt")

This will cause the Sepulveda avatar to say the three strings.

Lowell wrote:having certian maps available is in the game.txt, you can make them available or Null for the game to play maps in order and write the mission file as the player moves through the levels.

I would suggest not using the MakeAvailable command. It does not seem to work properly. A map is "Available" when it shows up on the world map. A map can be played when it has a mission set for it. Maps are made available when a connecting trunkport is openned, but cannot be played until a mission is set. Thus, thoughout the original game, the player opens up trunkports, but cannot actually play the levels until certain other requirements are acheived.

xander
Lowell
level3
level3

Postby Lowell » Fri Apr 07, 2006 8:07 pm

I found the speech lines inside the Language.dat file that were used throughout the game. I know where the scripts file is. So I guess those plus the help menu could be tweaked.

Lowell wrote:
having certian maps available is in the game.txt, you can make them available or Null for the game to play maps in order and write the mission file as the player moves through the levels.

I would suggest not using the MakeAvailable command. It does not seem to work properly. A map is "Available" when it shows up on the world map. A map can be played when it has a mission set for it. Maps are made available when a connecting trunkport is openned, but cannot be played until a mission is set. Thus, thoughout the original game, the player opens up trunkports, but cannot actually play the levels until certain other requirements are acheived.

xander

I wasn't talking about the text commands, I was refering to making maps available in the game text at the top.
Major Cooke
level4
level4

Postby Major Cooke » Fri Apr 07, 2006 10:33 pm

Thanks for the info guys... I am still working on the tracklinks and ends, I'll let you know if I run into any more problems... and I'll worry bout the objectives and scriptlines later.
Major Cooke
level4
level4

Postby Major Cooke » Fri Apr 07, 2006 11:33 pm

Actualy i have a new request...
How do you shorten reload periods (reloading grenades, rockets, airstrikes, controllers)?
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Sat Apr 08, 2006 1:12 am

Major Cooke wrote:Actualy i have a new request...
How do you shorten reload periods (reloading grenades, rockets, airstrikes, controllers)?

AFAIK, you don't. You could try editing stats.txt, but I think that changes the laser fire rate only. Explosives are fired, and cannot be refired until you have exploded.

xander
Major Cooke
level4
level4

Postby Major Cooke » Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:12 am

Is there a way to ignore slope speeds when going up certain slopes? like the engineer maintaining his same speed when going up or down a slope?
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Sat Apr 08, 2006 6:04 am

Major Cooke wrote:Is there a way to ignore slope speeds when going up certain slopes? like the engineer maintaining his same speed when going up or down a slope?

Not as far as I know.

xander
Major Cooke
level4
level4

Postby Major Cooke » Mon Apr 10, 2006 5:31 pm

Do you think it would have to involve unpacking the .exe to try to fix it? (kinda like modifying the colors of darwinians)
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Mon Apr 10, 2006 5:36 pm

Major Cooke wrote:Do you think it would have to involve unpacking the .exe to try to fix it? (kinda like modifying the colors of darwinians)

What do you mean "fix it?" Are you talking about units moving faster downhill than up? I don't see that as a problem... I go slower uphill than down...

You could probably hack the .exe to "fix" the problem, but you would have to have a lot of talent and knowledge about ASM, and a fair number of tools to do it. I think that nihil is the only person who has really dissected Darwinia in that fasion. Also, any changes that you made could not be included in a mod without distributing the modified .exe, which would probably be illegal, and would be single platform (i.e. would support only Windows, not Mac or Linux). Given your other postings, I am inclined to believe that you do not have the knowledge or tools to pull it off (as I said, I think nihil is the only person who could, at this point, aside from those intimately involved in the production of Darwinia).

xander

Return to “Mod Projects”