help, incubator doesn't work after leaving and coming back!

Talk about your new mod or map here

Moderators: bert_the_turtle, jelco

canteen
level0
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2006 3:00 am

help, incubator doesn't work after leaving and coming back!

Postby canteen » Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:25 am

Hi, If someone knows how I could fix the following that would be great:

I was playing Image and had activited the incubator and cleared out the left side of the map with the ants... I had to leave, and logged out, and when I later returned, the incubator had red lights on it and the "link terminal" that controlled it was green and it didn't work. i.e. engineers did not bring back darwinians to it and just idled around.

I tried resetting the level, but the buildings still remembered their "state" and i'm stuck. Is there some trick i can do with the files to at least let me continue from here somehow? thanks.
User avatar
xander
level5
level5
Posts: 16868
Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2004 11:41 pm
Location: Highland, CA, USA
Contact:

Postby xander » Wed Mar 08, 2006 4:25 pm

Hrm... what version of Darwinia on what OS are you playing?

I remember discussion about this kind of problem earlier, and believe it was tangentially related to the IsLinuxBust problem (a bug in the way that Mac and Linux boxes dealt with global, dynamic buildings). As the Incubator is both global and dynamic, that would be a candidate. I never really understood the error that well, so I hope that TGF might chime in.

Basically, as I understand it, dynamic buildings (i.e. those that change status at some point, and are stored in the mission file for the level, rather than the map file) are not given proper settings in game.txt. This means that if the building is used as an objective, it won't set off the objective. It also, I think, means that dynamic buildings will return to their original state when you exit the game (or possibly the level). Read through the IsLinuxBust thread, and try the mod. Let me know what happens.

If you are on a Mac, the 1.4 patch fixes the problem, but is not out yet. If you are running Linux, get the 1.4 beta patch -- it should fix the problem (though you may have to reset the level). If you are running the retail or Steam version for Windows, I don't know what is going wrong.

TGF: Is there something in the setup of Incubators that I am missing that will prevent this from happening? I seem to remember discussion of it a while back, but cannot find the topic...

xander
canteen
level0
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2006 3:00 am

Postby canteen » Thu Mar 09, 2006 1:11 am

Ok, I'm on linux, running darwinia 1.3.

first I tried out islinuxbust mod and indeed, the dynamic objectives cannot be completed.

Then I upgraded to the latest linux beta version 1.4.0b9.

Unfortunately, resetting or restarting doesn't help. The incubator still is in its funky state. Now, I did change a few things in game.txt and fooled around a bit to try to figure it out the night before, but I placed back the original game.txt before I tested with the new beta client. Maybe I messed it up hopelessly beyond game.txt?

So next I tried the Islinuxbust with the new beta version, but the objectives cannot be completed (don't know if there supposed to be able to).

:(
canteen
level0
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2006 3:00 am

Postby canteen » Thu Mar 09, 2006 1:22 am

btw, feel free to ask me to try anything or if you want me send any of my files. I'm a relative newbie to these mods.
canteen
level0
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2006 3:00 am

Postby canteen » Thu Mar 09, 2006 1:29 am

Ok, with a NEW profile Islinuxbust works!

However, resetting or restarting with an already "messed up" profile doesn't automagically "fix" the map.

Soooo, I guess I need to start over with Insurrection? :) I can unless someone offers a hint.

thanks xander.
User avatar
xander
level5
level5
Posts: 16868
Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2004 11:41 pm
Location: Highland, CA, USA
Contact:

Postby xander » Thu Mar 09, 2006 1:51 am

You need to edit your profile's game.txt file. This is not the game.txt file that came in the mod. As you play Darwinia, changes to game.txt are stored in your users/ directory, in a sub-directory with the name of your profile. Find game.txt in that directory (I believe it is ~/.darwinia/users/ , but I could be wrong -- I use a Mac, and the locations are not the same).

Now, you will notice that this version of game.txt is illegible except for the first word, "redshirt2". That is because the file has been encrypted using IV's redshirt2 algorithm. Search the forums for redshirt2, and you should find a very helpful topic to decrypt the file. Once you have it decrypted, make the necessary changes. Basically, set building 40 in location 7 to be team 2 (the player team). Once you make the changes, you do not need to reencrypt the file -- Darwinia will read unencrypted text without difficulty (you know, as long as it says the right things).

If you are having trouble decrypting the file, PM with your encrypted game.txt, and I will take care of it for you. If you are having trouble making the appropriate chages, PM with your decrypted game.txt file, and I will modifiy it appropriately.

xander
canteen
level0
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2006 3:00 am

Postby canteen » Thu Mar 09, 2006 3:13 am

Big thanks! I'm back in business. :D fyi, my profile was in ~/.darwinia/full/users/.

Return to “Mod Projects”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests