which mods work with OSX?

Talk about your new mod or map here

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle

mellowvision2
level1
level1

which mods work with OSX?

Postby mellowvision2 » Wed Feb 22, 2006 2:48 am

I've had Darwinia now for 4 days, and have completed the original game and started playing some mods. I downloaded 3 or 4, and the only one that seems to launch is Insurrection, which Xander claims doesn't work on the mac... The only problem I've had with that so far is that the squad doesn't appear on Discovery. But the rest of the mod is great.

ArcadeRemix and Stricken Souls give me an invalid map error on start up. I would love to play some more mods, and would especially like to finish Insurrection. Anyone have any tips?

I tried rewriting the preferences file using Xander's instructions for the other mods I've downloaded, with no luck.
prophile
level5
level5

Postby prophile » Wed Feb 22, 2006 3:01 am

I never had any problems playing Stricken on my Mac. I haven't tried Insurrection but Xander made it on a Mac so I can't see why it wouldn't work.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Wed Feb 22, 2006 3:55 am

prophile wrote:I never had any problems playing Stricken on my Mac. I haven't tried Insurrection but Xander made it on a Mac so I can't see why it wouldn't work.

For the most part, Insurrection will run on the Mac. However, I used features from the 1.4 patch to make portions of the mod. Those features are not available to the general Mac community, as 1.4 is still in beta, and seems to be in closed beta, now. Discovery won't work, because the squad is stored in the RunningPrograms section of the mission file (so that a user can leave the level and come back without resetting); Aftermath won't work because of the EscapeRocket; and various other small issues. So, Insurrection runs on the Mac perfectly well, assuming that you have 1.4, which most Mac users do not...

xander
mellowvision2
level1
level1

Postby mellowvision2 » Wed Feb 22, 2006 7:33 am

thanks for the info. it's really too bad I cant play it... when is 1.4 for mac going to be released? is there a way to edit the prefs so it appears I finished discovery? I did, for all intents and purposes...

and WHOA, stricken souls is crazy. my mouse hand is killing me! really turns it into a first person shooter for a bit there. gladiator is killing me right now.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Wed Feb 22, 2006 3:52 pm

mellowvision2 wrote:thanks for the info. it's really too bad I cant play it... when is 1.4 for mac going to be released?

Soon, I hope.

mellowvision2 wrote:is there a way to edit the prefs so it appears I finished discovery? I did, for all intents and purposes...

You could hack your game.txt file and give yourself squads, but I would advise against it. Other sections of the game use the RunningPrograms section, and use buildings that just don't exist prior to 1.4. I would suggest waiting.

xander
trickfred
level5
level5

Re: which mods work with OSX?

Postby trickfred » Fri Mar 10, 2006 3:49 am

mellowvision2 wrote:ArcadeRemix and Stricken Souls give me an invalid map error on start up.

What version of ArcadeRemix, and does it say which map is causing the error? I'm pretty sure xander played that mod without issue, and he runs 10.4.something or other (not a mac geek).
xander
level5
level5

Re: which mods work with OSX?

Postby xander » Sat Mar 11, 2006 12:48 am

trickfred wrote:
mellowvision2 wrote:ArcadeRemix and Stricken Souls give me an invalid map error on start up.

What version of ArcadeRemix, and does it say which map is causing the error? I'm pretty sure xander played that mod without issue, and he runs 10.4.something or other (not a mac geek).

I have played ArcadeRemix, but, honestly, I never finished it. I should really get back to it...

xander
trickfred
level5
level5

Postby trickfred » Sat Mar 11, 2006 1:08 am

...But it ran, that's my point.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Sat Mar 11, 2006 3:24 pm

trickfred wrote:...But it ran, that's my point.

It ran, and I assume that there was nothing later on that would cause it to crash, but, as I said before, I never got past level 6 or so... So, if there is a level specific Mac crash, I might not know about it. On the other hand, I think it works fine. No problems.

xander

Return to “Mod Projects”