New Mod:Hacker Retrtibution (well, when I get it done)

Talk about your new mod or map here

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle

Rampage Starfire
level1
level1
Location: Simultaneously existing in Canada and a much better place than this world

Postby Rampage Starfire » Thu Mar 09, 2006 9:24 am

Update time.

Ok going a little slower then I'd like but I can only squeeze soo much creativity out of my brain at any one time.

Got some new screen shots though just to tease peeps.

IV sure reused a lot of the textures, the Glow.bmp alone is used in so many places: the repository on the world map, an active trunk port, the fuzzy aura around virii and the refined polygons too. as a result my virii glow green and so do the minerals from the refinery

I wanted my laserfences to look like they were electrified so I drew on some electricity, well turns out that the Laserfence.bmp is also used in the Trunk ports and the radar transmission. fortunately for me it looks good so I don't need to change anything

Unfortunatly my track links are crooked since they also used the Laser.bmp for the suspension wires

Green Glowing Virii

Radioactive Polygons

Funky Green Trunk Port.

Entrance to second area

looking out into second area, chock full of radars

Mine type area

Given the inital storyline I created it isn't suprising to see how much my mod is developing in quite parallell lines to the original campaign. ah well it is longer and I would like to think more difficult in places. With luck I'll get some more originality as I go.
hitm4n
level3
level3

Postby hitm4n » Thu Mar 09, 2006 9:33 am

Its looking cool. Keep on it !!
Rampage Starfire
level1
level1
Location: Simultaneously existing in Canada and a much better place than this world

Postby Rampage Starfire » Thu Mar 09, 2006 9:46 am

OI!!! hitm4n can you

a.) add my mod to the in progress section of the Modlist Thread
b.) update all the links in the Mod List, Inssurection seems to be out of date (goes to a non-existant file)

and Thanks 8)
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Thu Mar 09, 2006 3:17 pm

Just a quick (hopefully constructive) criticism:

The large, square mountains (assumably constructed by creating grid guided terrain units, and setting every grid to the maximum possible value) look really artificial, and really odd. Now, I assume that you have a story driven reason for such odd looking creations, and I am not going to question that. However, if you do not have a story driven reason, I would suggest trying to make the landscape look a bit more natural -- either set the grid guide to zero, and change the seed until you find something that you like, or spend some time crafting more interesting landscapes.

xander
Rampage Starfire
level1
level1

Postby Rampage Starfire » Fri Mar 10, 2006 6:08 am

xander wrote:Just a quick (hopefully constructive) criticism:

The large, square mountains (assumably constructed by creating grid guided terrain units, and setting every grid to the maximum possible value) look really artificial, and really odd. Now, I assume that you have a story driven reason for such odd looking creations, and I am not going to question that. However, if you do not have a story driven reason, I would suggest trying to make the landscape look a bit more natural -- either set the grid guide to zero, and change the seed until you find something that you like, or spend some time crafting more interesting landscapes.

xander

I have a counter question:

Why does a completely computerized enviroment have to have terrain that matches up with the way the real world works? Is there Rain or rivers in Darwinia to wear down the mountains into shapes like we have in the real world? If there is I must've missed that.

Besides there is a story based explanation for the way they look. However I do admit that you have a point, they do look a little odd, perhaps a little tweaking is in order.

an I will always welcome constructive criticism, especially from an experienced Darwinia vetran such as yourself
bigburpco
level1
level1

Postby bigburpco » Fri Mar 10, 2006 6:22 am

Funky lighting.
martin
level5
level5

Postby martin » Fri Mar 10, 2006 2:40 pm

Rampage Starfire wrote:Why does a completely computerized enviroment have to have terrain that matches up with the way the real world works? Is there Rain or rivers in Darwinia to wear down the mountains into shapes like we have in the real world? If there is I must've missed that.

this is something I've often said but most people seem to agree with xander.
GENERATION 22:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
hitm4n
level3
level3

Postby hitm4n » Fri Mar 10, 2006 5:33 pm

Well i don't. Unique odd looking landscapes will make your mod stand out.
martin
level5
level5

Postby martin » Fri Mar 10, 2006 9:01 pm

Thankyou hitm4n, Yaah Boo xander and The_goldfish!
GENERATION 22:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Sat Mar 11, 2006 12:38 am

Again, I stated that if you had a good, story driven reason for it, go with it. I honestly see nothing particularly wrong with squares, esp considering the artificial world of Darwinia. On the other hand, they can be a pain in the ass for manuvering units (i.e. units that get stuck on the sides), and I, personally, think they are ugly. However, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and if you like the squares, there is nothing that I can do to stop you, even if I wanted to.

xander
Lowell
level3
level3

Postby Lowell » Sat Mar 11, 2006 5:26 pm

I like the effect...I had the same trouble, the clouds are reused on all maps too.
hitm4n
level3
level3

Postby hitm4n » Wed Jun 28, 2006 9:32 am

any news on this ?
hitm4n
level3
level3

Postby hitm4n » Fri Jul 14, 2006 3:37 pm

another big promise and dead mod. sigh.....
martin
level5
level5

Postby martin » Fri Jul 14, 2006 3:56 pm

Maybe it's just going slowly? the first bit seemed to take ages to make. So maybe part 2 does aswell
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Fri Jul 14, 2006 3:59 pm

martin wrote:Maybe it's just going slowly? the first bit seemed to take ages to make. So maybe part 2 does as well

What do you mean "part 2"? As of yet, nothing has been released, except for some screenshots.

xander

Return to “Mod Projects”