Map Bug, not in tutorial!

Talk about your new mod or map here

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle

Puzzlemaker
level2
level2

Postby Puzzlemaker » Sun Feb 05, 2006 5:53 pm

I found that putting a turret that starts there helps stop it from crashing as much for some reason.

I dont know.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Sun Feb 05, 2006 9:40 pm

Lowell wrote:In Electrons there are five small islands one big and one medium. When you first enter the scene you are soooooo far out in the ocean on a small island. Let the camera swing you real fast and you will swing out into the ocean then the lights fade in as you swing fast to the big island. You'll see what I mean. It won't crash but you may have been too far out between islands and all you saw was Black.

However, by banging on enter over and over and over again, you can skip through the intro. I did as much, and the camera never worked. Then, as I said above, I exited the level and the camera was wonky. I have played enough with the editor to realize that this is not what was supposed to happen.

As to not crashing, remember, I am using a Mac. There are differences. Case in point, Database in Insurrection, which has given many people trouble, but has never bothered me.

xander
Lowell
level3
level3

Postby Lowell » Sun Feb 05, 2006 11:06 pm

[quote="xander"
However, by banging on enter over and over and over again, you can skip through the intro. I did as much, and the camera never worked. Then, as I said above, I exited the level and the camera was wonky. I have played enough with the editor to realize that this is not what was supposed to happen.

xander[/quote]

It's because you went in there without a "Profile" The ScriptTrigger that is set for "CamEnter" is set for Global "And" Dynamic, so when you "re-enter" the level the intro won't play over and over. However I did notice that the last cam6 is suposed to be at the "start" island NOT the finish! I will change that right away for the next post tonight, I will also add Gluons and Quarks.

Could you try making a quicky profile and go back and try that again? When I went in to Electrons like you without a profile but in game mode hit enter a bunch went out then in, it went bonkers ... way out of control, but when I went back in with a profile and did the same thing, the scritptrigger worked perfect, like it was intended to... played the intro the first time any others release, camera worked fine, you can hit enter at the electrons intro anytime, the first entry or mid stream, you can still see your way around then, and you you will have control right away. Please let me know right away, because I can script the intros different. But I feel that everyone will have a profile and I like that feature of the ScriptTrigger, although I do see a limitation from going into a game without a profile, say just as we for editing. I will have to watch it myself because I am guilty of going in real quick off and on without a profile.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Sun Feb 05, 2006 11:12 pm

Lowell wrote:It's because you went in there without a "Profile" The ScriptTrigger that is set for "CamEnter" is set for Global "And" Dynamic, so when you "re-enter" the level the intro won't play over and over. However I did notice that the last cam6 is suposed to be at the "start" island NOT the finish! I will change that right away for the next post tonight, I will also add Gluons and Quarks.

Actually, that was done with a profile. Sorry.

xander

EDIT: Also, it is 100% reproducible, whether or not I try to skip the cutscene. I enter the level, I see the first island, and after a couple of seconds the screen goes black except for Dr. S talking. Once he finishes, I can wait and wait and wait, and the screen remains black. I cannot move the camera in any way to see anything. If I leave the level and return, the camera points up the the sky and spins. I can fix the problem by quitting Darwinia and restarting it.

Also, the "CamCut start" at the beginning of ele_intro.txt is redundant. The camera starts at that position. Personally, I would rename that camera mount, put the camera mount named "start" near the already captured trunkport to Protons, and put a camcut to the newly renamed camera at the beginning. That way, if a player leaves the level and reenters it, they will be in a useful place.

Finally, by replacing all of the CamMoves with CamCuts, the problem goes away. The problem is that start and cam1 are in the same place, only pointing in different directions. For some reason, this causes Darwinia to behave strangely on my box. If I comment out line 11 of ele_intro.txt, the rest of the script runs fine.
Last edited by xander on Sun Feb 05, 2006 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lowell
level3
level3

Postby Lowell » Sun Feb 05, 2006 11:46 pm

Wow... that only did that if I went in without one. Man that is bad.

Okay I know a different way to do them...I was lazy and it seemed fast when I saw that on the Script Trigger had a feature for "CamEnter," if you watch the intro and then the camera releases will it work then? Just wondering. I liked that feature...would you mind sometime trying that on a test map? I wounder if we could get that feature fixed? It's real simple to setup, just make the bubble big enough or place the camera in the script triggers area like normal, set the drop down list and you will see the script triggers camera settings. And... weren't script triggers used for cameras in the game or was that just units? I wounder if it would have done that in there? As a film nut I always want to see the intros and credits...

Okay I will redo all the level intros; I can't have it do that anywhere else. Thanks a bunch for finding that. I can still have everything ready by late evening. I don't have any appointments Monday anyway... I'm the boss, I own the company.

Edit//you can fix that real quick...open up the ele_intro.txt " ### " out everything except cam2 and camreset. It will dump you off at the big island.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Sun Feb 05, 2006 11:52 pm

As I said my previous post, which you probably have not read, because you posted while I was editing, the problem is with the CamMove from start to cam1. They are in the same place, only rotated, which causes Darwinia to misbehave. Move cam1, and you should be okay.

Also, you are probably better off by not using the CamEnter script trigger on intro scripts. You want the script to run when the player enters the level, and only once. Make them non-global (because making them global doesn't help any), and make them dynamic (they will be run once and only once). This will probably save you some headaches.

xander

EDIT: irc.uplinkcorp.net #darwinia
I am there right now. Rather than cross posting and confusing the hell out of eachother, it might help you to meet me there.
Lowell
level3
level3

Postby Lowell » Sun Feb 05, 2006 11:57 pm

Ahhh...

Fixed... interesting, I wounder if the camera annimation has a rotation.

But your sure if I just move cam1 it will run okay?

Edit// knew I should have bought a Mac. I almost bought one a year ago. I have a couple 3D art programs I want to run but they only run on Mac. But they just aren't as powerful anymore. Although you wouldn't know it from their prices around here.
Last edited by Lowell on Mon Feb 06, 2006 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Mon Feb 06, 2006 12:00 am

Lowell wrote:Ahhh...

Fixed... interesting, I wounder if the camera annimation has a rotation.

But your sure if I just move cam1 it will run okay?

It should, yes.

I openned up mission_electrons.txt and changed the following lines:

Code: Select all

start           5956.44  150.91 6517.34 -0.68 -0.08 0.73 -0.06 1.00 0.06
   cam1            5956.44  110.91 6517.34 -0.28 0.06 -0.96 0.02 1.00 0.06

Basically, I moved start up 20 units, and cam1 down 20 units. It seems to look about the same, but does not cause problems. Also, as I said before, you should probably put start near the trunkport to Protons, rename the current start to something like cam0, and change the first lines of ele_intro.txt to read something like:

Code: Select all

ShutUp
TriggerSound Cutscene3
CamCut cam0
WaitFade
Wait 2
Say ele_intro

xander
Lowell
level3
level3

Postby Lowell » Mon Feb 06, 2006 12:06 am

great thanks I pasted them in. Say I went to the IRC darwinia channel and it is always empty. I am not sure if I setup the browser server right, is there a certian server... or just get to the #darwinia channel and you are there?

I'm sure alot of map test questions can be answered there quick.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Mon Feb 06, 2006 12:11 am

Lowell wrote:great thanks I pasted them in. Say I went to the IRC darwinia channel and it is always empty. I am not sure if I setup the browser server right, is there a certian server... or just get to the #darwinia channel and you are there?

I'm sure a lot of map test questions can be answered there quick.

What server are you connecting to? You should be trying to connect to irc.uplinkcorp.net (port 6667). I am generally online on the weekends (work does not permit me to be on during the week that much). If I am not there, NeoThermic or TGF or Icepick will probably be around, either to answer your questions or tell you to get bent. #darwinia is almost never empty... my guess is that you are not configuring your IRC client properly.

xander
Lowell
level3
level3

Postby Lowell » Mon Feb 06, 2006 12:22 am

thanks that was it... newbie to irc.
The GoldFish
level5
level5

Postby The GoldFish » Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:33 am

I keep forgetting no one but me is aware of the 'camera will go black if you cammove to a camera you're already at' (except apparently with a move speed of 0, which is no good for rotation) - I first encountered it AAAAAAAAAAAAAAGES ago when making Stricken... really should have told someone, hehe.

(it's in the :OOO secret etc.txt)
-- The GoldFish - member of former GIT and commander in chief of GALLAHAD. You could have done something, but it's been fixed. The end. Also, play bestgameever!
Lowell
level3
level3

Postby Lowell » Mon Feb 06, 2006 7:31 pm

well, it sinks in better this way :D you know, hand on stove kind of thing...

I was wanting a rotation, what is werd is it worked fine on my windows. Oh well, I am going to play with the camera animations stuff on my next level. All I have found for camera commands ( from the standard ones ) is swoop, cut, move, I guess they are like the regular CamMove command but I was looking for more FadeIn FadeOut Rotate...

I can still get a rotate, just move it off spot a bit I guess. Xander moved the camera to a tad up and to the left and it worked for him, so I pasted his coordinates in.

What I really wanted was the camera to start with the intro looking at the last island's gate which is the last primary objective to do on the level. Sweep over the walkthrough stuff and stop at the player start island which is far away. Then because the script trigger is (global/dynamic "CamEnter") the intro won't play a second time if the player leaves and comes back. But this time on the second entry I wanted the camera to start at a different spot at the player start island. ... I kind of got stuck there LoL...I will think about that again when I get back from a couple workorders.
The GoldFish
level5
level5

Postby The GoldFish » Tue Feb 07, 2006 5:44 pm

was putting the start camera on the player start island, and using a camcut at the start of the script not good enough?

Presuming you're using always script triggers, that should work fine, I don't know what you're using camera entry stuff for, IIRC that was to make it trigger when you looked at the Sepheads in Biosphere.
-- The GoldFish - member of former GIT and commander in chief of GALLAHAD. You could have done something, but it's been fixed. The end. Also, play bestgameever!
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Tue Feb 07, 2006 6:03 pm

The GoldFish wrote:Presuming you're using always script triggers, that should work fine, I don't know what you're using camera entry stuff for, IIRC that was to make it trigger when you looked at the Sepheads in Biosphere.

He was using the camera entry script trigger to start his intro script. He will be better off with "Always" triggers. And I have never had any trouble with camera entry script triggers -- there are one or two in the original scenerio, and a couple more in Insurrection. I think that was a bit of a red herring. Sorry if I caused any confusion.

xander

Return to “Mod Projects”