The_Particles_Within

Talk about your new mod or map here

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle

martin
level5
level5

Postby martin » Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:15 pm

I'll give you a hand with storyline if you like, I don't have much time for making TheBigMod story anymore :(
GENERATION 22:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Lowell
level3
level3

Postby Lowell » Tue Jan 02, 2007 6:32 am

I have completed several changes on Hadron for part one.

Update 0.16 will be posted later this week.

http://www.CrimsonSun.cc/The_Particles_Within_0.15.rar

----------------------------1-25-2007-----------------------------
EDIT// The Hadron map will stay constructed as is. The objectives list has been modified however level play is the same with a couple "timing issues" resolved.
=A forum has been built for the mod... http://forum.moddb.com/the_partic/=

The update will have a different map and mission file for Hadron. Using your old profile, you will have to delete the old map and mission files, replaying Hadron and Lepton. I will have instructions posted as well as a readme inside when the update is posted.

----------------------------6-4-2007-----------------------------
EDIT//EDIT// Part two is well underway. At this time I am working on storyline changes and new models. A "slight" diversion had been made as a couple train mods popped in.
Lowell
level3
level3

Vista and Darwinia...

Postby Lowell » Sun Jun 10, 2007 4:00 am

<<<<<<<<<<<UPDATE POSTED BELOW>>>>>>>>>>>

I have received several emails about vista from players with the Particles mod. While I am still editing part two, other mods I am working on have also run into questions about vista. I have built two vista machines so far and had to make many "adjustments" along the way. My main workstation is still xp as of date, however this fix is for both.

At this time I am also three quarters done with building a new mod for a Railroad game. At the Railroad Forum some have discovered using the LARGEADDRESSAWARE flag inside their games executable stops CTD troubles. It will work and well...I have yet to try this with Darwinia, however if access to more memory can help then this fix may be just the thing. Here is the link to the page that I have quoted below...it's the third post on the page... http://hookedforums.com/forwarder.html?http://hookedforums.com/a/viewtopic.php?p=18613#18613

...Instead of Railroads you would just rename and follow the file flow for Darwinia...this is the same fix for SupremeCommander...

Zorander wrote:Quote:
Here is the fix. Hours of web trolling helped me find this. You actually have to manually patch your own damn software. Whichever primary executable you are using is the one to fix. So if you patch then simply fix the patched main exe. Now I never crash. Not randomly.. not trying.. not when I save.. nothing.. works perfect. This method actually patches you main executable with the LARGEADDRESSAWARE flag so it will address more memory. WHY 2k Games did not see this as a problem I have no idea.

Just download that:
http://files.filefront.com/3GB_enabler2 ... einfo.html

In this zip file, you should find editbin

Don't forget to backup your original Railroads.exe file (for future patch compatibility)

FOR VISTA 32 and 64 "Vista 32 users may have to apply second step as well."
1. Copy your Railroads.exe from C:\Program Files\2K Games\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Railroads!\ to your editbin "3gb_enabler2 unzipped" directory.

2. Open an Elevated Command Prompt with Administrator Privileges " See below if you're not sure how"
3. Change to your unzipped 3gb directiory where you have editbin.exe.
4. type "editbin.exe /LARGEADDRESSAWARE Railroads.exe" no quotes

EXTRA STEP VISTA 32: x64 users do not have to do this at all as x64 has no problems giving 4gb+ ram to 32 bit apps.. however.. Vista 32 users may.

5. type "BCDEDIT /set increaseuserva 2900" no quotes. NOTE: System boards vary. if 2900 does not work try 3072

6. Copy the patched Railroads.exe back to your C:\Program Files\2K Games\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Railroads!\ directory.

How to Open Elevated Command Prompt with Administrator Privileges in Windows Vista.
1.Click on Vista Start button.
2.Locate the Command Prompt menu item (buried deep inside Accessories under All Programs or appear on program access history).
3.Right click on Command Prompt.
4.On the pop-up right click context menu, select “Run as Administrator”.
Details:
http://www.mydigitallife.info/2007/02/1 ... ows-vista/

editbin.exe works with securom protected Railroads.exe or with nodvd version. Don't work with starforce protected russian version.

Other Notes:
The clue is 32-bit application without LARGEADDRESSAWARE can't see and use more then 2 GB on any Microsoft OS (32 or 64 bit). Not depend on how many GB you have installed. Stalker on max settings use more then 1,5 GB memory. Vista after start use about 500 MB. 1,5 GB + 500 MB = 2 GB - max memory limit reached and cause application crash when Railroads! tries to use more memory. With LARGEADDRESSAWARE flag 32-bit application can use 3 GB on 32 bit Windows and 4 GB on 64 bit Windows. It is more then enough for Railroads! max settings handle.
BTW the same issue is true for Gothic 3 with max settings and Vista.

Oh...and I will have a few screenshots on part two in a couple days...
Thanks

________________________________________________________________________________________
..........UPDATE NEWS..........9-6-'07

Due to sudden illnesses in our families...Molly and myself have been very very busy. Part two is near completion. A story re-write has taken place. Some changes to Part One were made and a couple "fixes" along the way as well. The storyline follows the String Theory and Particles of matter as before. I hope to release a working copy soon...sorry for the long delay.
Toastmeister
level1
level1

Postby Toastmeister » Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:51 am

* BUMP *

Any progress Lowell ?

You mentioned on the moddb forum you setup, that the PylonStart issue was fixed. Really?!!

( BTW: The topics are 'closed' on that forum... :roll: )

Is part 1 finished ? How's the story line coming?

Cheers!
Toast
Lowell
level3
level3

Postby Lowell » Mon Jan 14, 2008 3:29 am

I am working in Blender now.
The storyline has expanded some. Several new levels are ready for the new models.
I am still working on the Start Pylons on a couple levels. I'm going to try what xander had said he did on the naming bit for the couple levels that are affected.
Should be back in full swing to finish out this one real soon.

That Moddb site always will turn them off, I think there is some type of timmer that if there isn't a post within a certian amount of time they close...or I just missed something.
Da Red Baron 55
level0

Postby Da Red Baron 55 » Sat May 24, 2008 9:54 pm

I just read this thread and I find it intriguing. When do you think you'll get this done?
Lowell
level3
level3

Postby Lowell » Sun May 25, 2008 4:33 am

Thanks...this mod hit a bump on the Start Pylons...then anouther mod or two kicked-in. Right now I have started to build the last two levels for part two. Some slight storyline changes and additions to part one as well are being made.

I'm a bit rusty...being away from the game for awhile, so over the next couple months I will begin work that will complete this scenario.
Derekristow
level1
level1

Postby Derekristow » Wed May 28, 2008 5:41 am

I played through the whole mod a thought it was pretty fun. I can't wait for part 2.

P.S. Why is it version 0.15? Is it still technically in beta? When I played I didn't spot any bugs.
Lowell
level3
level3

Postby Lowell » Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:19 am

The thought was after part two is complete it would go to version 1.0

The earlier versions were as it developed and changed etc. ...I added a new update version. So to this point it has gotten to version 0.15
It has been some time I know, my Father passed away and had been sick with cancer and was in and out of the hospital till the end. Plus I made a side track and made a few mods for a couple railroad games and a couple for some other games.

I had to drag out my notes I printed out and am studying the layout for the mods completion. Also I have upgraded to much larger machines etc. I also was trying to rewrite a couple levels because of that dreded Start Pylon. The answer to getting it to work was a naming thing again...I hate that because I cannot rename several levels with the same darn name. So I may just leave the earlier levels as is for the most part.

When you played through the Hadron level...what was you frame rate like? That map was a tricky one to get set correct. It spawns reds as you start the map...so the longer you wait to get to the outer islands the more reds that get spawned.

Part 2 will pickup with the large map of Heavy Leptons. The storyline has had a rework as well. So it should have more to follow as far as a story to it. It will take me a couple months to pound this out and get it running. I will be looking for beta testers as well soon, so I will post something here for that. I know most everyone has most likely moved on to other games by now I am sure...but I will still come back and complete this mod. A small snapshot of a test for a new idea used on heavy leptons. A force field fence that really works and they cannot get through...only trouble is you have to take it back from the reds then hold it...

briceman2
level2
level2

Postby briceman2 » Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:15 am

Very sorry to hear about your father! Hope he didn't suffer too much, but I know that's asking a lot.

Lowell wrote:I also was trying to rewrite a couple levels because of that dreded Start Pylon. The answer to getting it to work was a naming thing again...I hate that because I cannot rename several levels with the same darn name. So I may just leave the earlier levels as is for the most part.

You're probably making this harder that it needs to be. You only need one hidden generator level for the whole mod. Then each level that needs a working start pylon needs a trunkport that links back to a working trunkport on the generator level. (I'm doing this from memory so you may have to experiment a little bit here.) The gen level will need one trunklport per pylon level since trunkport links come in pairs. You'll have to add lines to game.txt to make these (and the generator) all online from the start (or somehow make the story bring them all online before needed).

The names of the start pylon levels don't matter. It's the online trunkport back to the online generator level that enables the attached pylons. Multiple pylons can be attached to a single trunkport in your target levels. Simple! ;) Free power anywhere & everywhere!

Lowell wrote:When you played through the Hadron level...what was you frame rate like? That map was a tricky one to get set correct. It spawns reds as you start the map...so the longer you wait to get to the outer islands the more reds that get spawned.

Ummm... why aren't you using spawnpop locks? They do work, even though TGF didn't like them. They have some hidden global rules which cause overpops in one lock to shut down other poplock areas which are not in overpop. Basically, the amount of any overpop is subtracted from the limits of all other poplocks and this lowers their thresholds to shut down the spawners covered before expected.

Also, there are what I call "undergod rules". I mean "underdog rules". :) When red vs green fights are covered by a single poplock, the pop limit becomes flexible to ensure a lively fight. So if your lock is set to 100 total DGs, and there are 100 reds already spawned, the green spawner is *still* active even though it will exceed the lock. When several mutual-enemy spawners are under the same lock, the limit floats somewhere between 150-200% of what you set (maybe up to 300%, I never pinned it down). If your lock covers only same-team spawners, then the lock limit is a hard number. You can get a feel for this by using an officer to guide a large group of DGs into an active lock area -- to see if that overpop condition shuts things down or not.

Lowell wrote:A force field fence that really works and they cannot get through...

A few hints about fences in 1.4x engines. They are very sensitive to nearby buildings (includes trees) and other nearby fences. If you separate fences by a fair distance then you can twiddle their positions and get them to behave as expected. You can use water areas (low flatten areas) to cover the spaces between fence poles -- it's the proximity of the poles (or the real fence intersections) that cause the overlap problems = holes.

I've noticed that on grids of overlapping fences (tic tac toe style grids), one set of fences (horiz or vert) will all be impermeable, while the other set will all be full of holes. This has to do with the order the fences appear in the map file. IIRC, the first set listed will work, but the second set will fail (or vice versa). There is no way around this, except to break up long fences into short segmants, place water holes around the posts, and separate the neighbor posts by a fair distance of water.

The size of the internal laserfence coord grid is independent of the map cellsize, so there are really no guidlines as to where to place the posts for best results. :( Trial and error. :( Perfectly orthogonal fence segments seems to have a better chance of working along their whole length. You have to hand edit the coords to match in a text editor to accomplish this.
Jazz Ad
level1
level1

Postby Jazz Ad » Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:22 pm

I'm having a problem in Gluons. I can't finish it, whatever happens there always are 12 RDs left, n more no less.
I tried restarting the game, resetting the level, it still does it. I thought they were hiding somewhere but they don't seem to be.
ANyone had this kind of issue ?
Jazz Ad
level1
level1

Postby Jazz Ad » Sun Aug 31, 2008 9:52 pm

I went through gluons but only with editing. I don't know what was wrong.
Anyway, I liked this mod, expecially graphically.
Lowell
level3
level3

Postby Lowell » Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:57 pm

Interesting about the Gluon level. I have never had a problem with it. You had trouble finding the last couple reds I take it. They might have been in the water.
I am getting part two underway. Expanding the storyline as well. I still have a few things to workout. The fences work just fine in this case...the reds can't slip through.
The idea is, the reds control the fenced in area. However, the power station is placed close to one side of the fenced in area. The player needs to shoot grenades at the reds standing at the stations, thus droping the fence grid and then rush in and take control. It isn't that easy though as a red spawn point keeps them comming at the player...plus once the greens step inside a grid area, spiders also start up. That is just a small part of that level. I wanted it to be one big battle after anouther on this level and a couple others in part two.

As to the spawnlocks refered before...there are five or six spawn locks on Hadron...depends which island you are on. What I ment was, if the player stays around the center island too long messing around, the outer islands will reach their max number and make it harder to get a hold on the first island. The Hadron level has allot of units on the board. It has had trouble with frame rates in the past. I had to edit that level many times to get it just right and have the large numbers I wanted.
I will add a hidden generator level as well.
As to the fences I found that the reds can go through the fence posts. They walk right through them as if they weren't solid. So, I place the fence posts off to the sides where no unit can reach them. The fences need to be placed on a flat level space for them to work right. Worms can still go under fences. In this case I place three layers of fences real close to each other, so when the fences drop...there is three layers that drop. I haven't tried to "cross" the beams...I just place them side by side, so close they look like a single beam.

EDIT// Just got through playing through several levels...Gluon is a strange level. There are three main battle locations for the most part aside from the scattered stuff. One would be the hidden spams in the mountain and the pods that throw eggs. Next there are two main base areas would be the hard part. You must take over the first base where the large tower is with the cannons and spawnpoints. When you step into that area, the spawnpoint for the base at the far end of the island is triggered and turned on as it were. You have to clean out everything as you sweep around the "U" shaped island. Your green Darwinians will transport through the gate when your squads reach a certian distance through the level. Gluons is a good level, I like the fight on that level. I played through it without a hitch.

Tell me what you had to edit in order to complete the level. Maybe your plans of attack order needs changed some...it's not a hard level, however some areas may burn-up several squads before getting through. You need to use the Armor and the Darwinians as backup or you will never make it for sure. Using the Armor and Darwinians, squeeze a squad through and use the Air bombers to take out the red cannons.

EDIT// 12-18-2008...

Okay...after playing Gluons and Quarks a couple times in a row, I found that the triffids could throw eggs that bounce into the surrounding waterway. I am going to edit the strength of the throw the triffids have and maybe the direction as well. That should stop that from happening. Also level quarks has some "extra" parts in it that need to go. I had eight safe areas from previous objectives that got molded into others. They are causing some trouble with that level and I am removing those tonight. The same objective conditions will still be in place. Quarks is the level with the green tripods. Some minor changes might be made in part one, as the story line has progressed. Right now I am also designing the last few levels for part two.
I will have an update for those changes after a few test runs. Then concentrate on part two.
Toastmeister
level1
level1

Postby Toastmeister » Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:41 am

It's been a while since I've been here. I'm wondering if this is finished? :)

Toast
Lowell
level3
level3

Postby Lowell » Sun Sep 13, 2009 9:58 pm

Close...about three quarters through part 2.

I had a stroke a few months back and that has slowed me down...getting back to normal now.

Part One has had a couple levels that needed edited. So part one is now up to update version 16 which I will post maybe tonight. Leptons had a couple lame issues that I corrected/made harder etc. So too with Hadron (which has always been a touchy level,) Quarks, Protons for a stubern triffid, and a few addons/fixs over-all.

Lately I have been doing work in Trainz 2009 WBE. I have for the past two weeks wanted to get back and finish part 2, so looks like now is the time. Should be asking for testers soon. I will come back later and post some screen shots.

Thanks

Return to “Mod Projects”