The_Particles_Within

Talk about your new mod or map here

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle

Lowell
level3
level3

FREE Copy of Bryce5

Postby Lowell » Wed Aug 23, 2006 4:33 am

I know many of you may not use 3D modeling software...however DAZ is offering a Free copy of Bryce5. I have had Bryce for many many years, it is a great product. You can make 3D objects, buildings you name it, then convert the files to the Darwinia shp format.
Bryce will run on Mac or Windows...however about the Mac=
NOTE: Bryce 5.0 does not run under Mac OS X Tiger (Mac OS 10.4 and above).

Here is the link to the page...good luck, have fun...

http://www.daz3d.com/program/bryce/bryce5free.php?

EDIT//guess I should have added this line from the page...
This DAZ special offer will absolutely end on September 6, 2006! So don't delay in picking up this gift of one of the finest landscaping and animation software applications available anywhere.
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:30 pm

Lowell wrote:I have several emails from people all over the globe that played it and can't wait for the second half.
...I guess you didn't see my remarks about emails I have recieved thanking me for the mod and can't wait till part two is done.[/quote]

Let me rephrase that then, "Not receiving emails about problems is not an indication that none exist etc. etc. etc."

Lowell wrote:Have you played my mod?

I gave it a go, simply because I wanted to see the problem mallow was experiencing first hand. Sadly, I grew bored by the second level.
Uplink help: Check out the Guide or FAQ.
Latest Uplink patch is v1.55.
Lowell
level3
level3

Postby Lowell » Wed Aug 30, 2006 5:35 am

xander wrote:As I said above, the problem is not the resolution of the screen. There are TWELVE objectives in Hadron. This is going to go off the bottom of the display. On my own laptop (a PowerBook), I tried it at a bunch of resolutions, including 1200x900, 800x600, 400x300 (which are 4:3), and 800x450 (which is 16:9). In all cases, the objectives go off the bottom of the screen. Furthermore, the entire windowed is scaled to the resolution, so I see exactly the same objectives at 1200x900 that I see at 400x300. THE PROBLEM IS NOT HIS RESOLUTION. There are more objectives than can be seen on the screen.

I'm sorry...I have tried every setting I can the game offers. I see all Twelve Objections just fine from 1600 X 1200 down to 800 X 600...and I need new bifocals. As a technician/engineer I would write up this trouble ticket as "No Trouble Found."

xander wrote:As to frame rates, Darwinia on Mac does not perform as well as Darwinia on Windows. Some of this has to do with the OpenGL implementation on the Mac (though that has been mostly cleared up), and some of it has to do with the AI implementation in Darwinia (more units slow down Darwinia very quickly).

It seems to me "any/all games" that spawn AI people/units will have the same effect on all machines. Some of this is due to ram memory speed and amount. A biggie is the amount of cache your processor has. There are several tweaks users can do to their machines to improve performance, sometimes just flashing the motherboards bios to the latest version for your board helps. My system data bus runs at 1066mhz with the 975 northbridge chipset, so the motherboard and double data rate ram play a big part in frame rates not just a graphics card. For an explaination of how a chipset talks to the system ram then passes info to the cpu...I would send people to this Macromedia Breeze movie from Corsair Memory's site... http://www.corsairmemory.com/memory_basics/153707/index.html
I would point Windows Op' users for tweaks to this thread from the ATARI Forums... http://www.ataricommunity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=426589
trickfred
level5
level5

Postby trickfred » Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:10 am

Quick question - why are there so many unmodified files in your mod? The mod size would be a lot smaller if you'd just include the modified files, and let the mod pick the rest up from the game's .dat files...

Edit: The entire Icons and Sprites directories appear to be untouched; they could be removed from the mod... Terrain seems to contain many unmodified files... Three unused cloud.bmps in textures, along with several others.

Edit2: Just because you don't see something, doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

http://stellarmatter.net/iv/hadronproblem.jpg - 1440x900

(I still have yet to actually play the mod... should get around to it one of these days...)
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Wed Aug 30, 2006 7:49 pm

After a quick test it becomes extremely obvious whats happened. Lowell created the mod on the patched version of Darwinia, which has a different way of listing objectives, thus managing to fit more on the screen. As for the screenshot trickfred posted, you'll notice its from a previous version of Darwinia, before the taskmanager change.

Lowell, there still seems to be a problem with Hadron since there are actually 13 things trying to fit on the screen, the last of which is detached from the others and mentions something about a trunkport.
Last edited by Montyphy on Wed Aug 30, 2006 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Wed Aug 30, 2006 7:57 pm

Montyphy wrote:After a quick test it becomes extremely obvious whats happened. Lowell created the mod on the patched version of Darwinia, which has a different way of listing objectives, thus managing to fit more on the screen. As for the screenshot trickfred posted, you'll notice its from a previous version of Darwinia before the taskmanager change.

Lowell, there still seems to be a problem with Hadron since there are actually 13 things trying to fit on the screen, the last of which is detached from the others. You can't see the last one because of the silver/gray bar along the bottom of the screen but on my crappy computer the screen bounced around and showed a extra something about a trunkport.

I have Darwinia 1.4.2 for Mac. That is the most up to date version available. The objectives go off of the screen in any configuration that I can come up with. Are you sure that patching really explains the issue?

xander
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Wed Aug 30, 2006 8:05 pm

It did for me on Windows. I forgot to apply the patch at first and experienced what trickfred posted. After the patch I got this (similar views on both a 4:3 and 16:10 monitor with a range of resolutions). Perhaps the Mac version didn't make any core graphics changes/opimisations that may have happened on the Windows version.

trickfred
level5
level5

Postby trickfred » Wed Aug 30, 2006 8:36 pm

Montyphy wrote:As for the screenshot trickfred posted, you'll notice its from a previous version of Darwinia, before the taskmanager change.

Uh, no, sorry. 1.4.2.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Wed Aug 30, 2006 8:41 pm

Montyphy wrote:It did for me on Windows. I forgot to apply the patch at first and experienced what trickfred posted. After the patch I got this (similar views on both a 4:3 and 16:10 monitor with a range of resolutions). Perhaps the Mac version didn't make any core graphics changes/opimisations that may have happened on the Windows version.

Aha! That is the difference between the icon control system and the gesture control system. Lowell, try the gesture system.

xander
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Wed Aug 30, 2006 8:45 pm

Ah, yes. I see now. I had forgotten you could change systems, guess Lowell had too. So are you able to view the 12 objectives if you change from the gesture system to the icon system?

xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Wed Aug 30, 2006 8:50 pm

Montyphy wrote:Ah, yes. I see now. I had forgotten you could change systems, guess Lowell had too. So are you able to view the 12 objectives if you change from the gesture system to the icon system?

Don't have my computer with me at the moment -- I will check when I get home.

xander
trickfred
level5
level5

Postby trickfred » Wed Aug 30, 2006 8:56 pm

Montyphy wrote:Ah, yes. I see now. I had forgotten you could change systems, guess Lowell had too. So are you able to view the 12 objectives if you change from the gesture system to the icon system?

It is indeed a problem with the Gesture system Task Manager. The overhead 'Objectives' title takes up more vertical real estate in the Gesture system (since the title is on the side in the Icon system), thus, there is less room to display all the objectives.

You can't expect people to play with the Icon system just so they can see all of their objectives though... I haven't used it since I tested the patch. Even seeing those annoying black circles on the screen makes me want to get a cloth and some Windex and try to wipe them off my monitor... :P

Edit: It would be nice if IV could make the Task Manager behave like the one in the Icon system for both systems - just replace the 'uncoordinated people, click here to spawn your unit' box with the Gesture circle. I have to admit, I do like the look of it more than the original side-to-side one, plus I dig the whoosing noise :D
Last edited by trickfred on Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Wed Aug 30, 2006 8:58 pm

Heh. The icon system is default when applying the patch on Windows and as you know I didn't realise you could change it back to the old version. :P

trickfred
level5
level5

Postby trickfred » Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:04 pm

Montyphy wrote:Heh. The icon system is default when applying the patch on Windows and as you know I didn't realise you could change it back to the old version. :P

I was just confirming that we had found the issue, since as xander said, he was not in front of the game. And please see the 'edit' to my above post - I posted before the thought had fully formed. :D
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:15 pm

trickfred wrote:I was just confirming that we had found the issue, since as xander said, he was not in front of the game. And please see the 'edit' to my above post - I posted before the thought had fully formed. :D

I understand you were confirming the issue and total agree with you about the icon system. My post was more of a tag along with your Windex comment and a reasoning as to why I wasn't using the gesture system. :)

Return to “Mod Projects”