Talk about your new mod or map here

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle

BrianBlessed
level4
level4

Vaguewinia

Postby BrianBlessed » Sat Dec 24, 2005 9:46 pm

Greetings fellow darwinites.

To cut a short story long I never really properly made any mods, made a few populated levels and shot things and then got baffled by trunkports. Yes I am a naive man. Anyway, I decided to essentially just make a mod, but not being the scripting man I would just alter all the design type files. Several hours of editing coordinates later I have altered pretty much all of the living things in the darwinia world. I have tried to vaguely keep it round some kind of theme. The theme would be Maths....or evolution....or pirates...whatever.

Anyway, have some images. Only a few because essentially everything is crap and I am doing this purely so someone can download it and then laugh and possibly out of sympathy build a campaign mod out of it....or urinate on it. Anyway I digress, PICTURE!

http://www.calabrese.f2s.com/samies.jpg
http://www.calabrese.f2s.com/PI.jpg
Hence the reference to pirates, the darwinia world will become one large mathematical pun....the best kind of pun!
prophile
level5
level5

Re: Vaguewinia

Postby prophile » Sat Dec 24, 2005 9:48 pm

BrianBlessed wrote:Darwinites.

Darwinians! Darwinites = unreleased
BrianBlessed
level4
level4

Postby BrianBlessed » Sat Dec 24, 2005 9:50 pm

I presumed you all just really like darwin, my apologies.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Sat Dec 24, 2005 10:48 pm

BrianBlessed wrote:I presumed you all just really like darwin, my apologies.

No, prophile is working on an uber-mod with Miah. The mod is called Darwinite, thus he objected to your use of the term. He then offered the prefered term, which is Darwinian.

xander
BrianBlessed
level4
level4

Postby BrianBlessed » Sat Dec 24, 2005 11:13 pm

But I don't want to be 2d, I want depth I tells ye.

DEPTH!

On another note, I believe it was The Goldfish's mod which had altered the items on the research menu to Ghostwinians and 'nades etc. I was wondering if anyone could endow me with the knowledge such that I can achieve such a task.

I just need to change all the coordinates so I can turn the armour into a boat now.

PICTURE!
http://www.calabrese.f2s.com/capn.jpg
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Sat Dec 24, 2005 11:19 pm

BrianBlessed wrote:On another note, I believe it was The Goldfish's mod which had altered the items on the research menu to Ghostwinians and 'nades etc. I was wondering if anyone could endow me with the knowledge such that I can achieve such a task.

Have you extracted language.dat yet? If not, do so (it is a .rar archive, just change the extension and let 'er rip). Look for a file called english.txt. Don't do anything to it, just look at it. You will have to create a similar file in your mod directory called "strings_default.txt". If you name a string the same thing as something in english.txt, it will override that string in the game. Otherwise, you can call any string using a script.

xander

EDIT: TGF if correct... the file is in language.dat, not main.dat. Sorry for the confusion.
Last edited by xander on Sun Dec 25, 2005 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BrianBlessed
level4
level4

Postby BrianBlessed » Sat Dec 24, 2005 11:58 pm

Awthangu, although I can't actually read the english.txt as it seems to be encrypted...well jumbled and illegible anyway. So I just yoinked the research bit out of Stricken Souls and found the bit I wanted.

Presumably from what you wrote I am supposed to be able to read english.txt, go computer power!
The GoldFish
level5
level5

Postby The GoldFish » Sun Dec 25, 2005 1:44 am

look in language.dat, an unencrypted and up to date copy is in there
-- The GoldFish - member of former GIT and commander in chief of GALLAHAD. You could have done something, but it's been fixed. The end. Also, play bestgameever!
BrianBlessed
level4
level4

Postby BrianBlessed » Mon Jan 02, 2006 7:40 pm

Currently trying to get radar dishes to link at the start of the level and to be useable by squads, but not so the radar dish can not be moved and pointed at other dishes.

Is this possible as so far I can't even work out how to get links inbetween dishes without doing it manually in the game.
andrewas
level4
level4

Postby andrewas » Mon Jan 02, 2006 9:50 pm

In the editor, each building can be linked to another. With Radar Dishes, if you link them to another Radar Dish and you have Line of Sight between them, then the dish will lock onto its target dish at the beginning of the level. You can link the target back to the original dish the same way, for a two-way link.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Mon Jan 02, 2006 10:01 pm

To link a radar dish to another without user intervention requires a line in game.txt. It should look something like this:

Code: Select all

# Id  teamId  locId   type   link  online
   # =======================================
         8    2     11      3      9      1

Id = building ID of the radar dish (you can find that in the editor, or in the map file)
teamId = the team that controls the radar dish*
locId = the location ID number, i.e. what location the radar dish is in (you can find this at the top of game.txt
type = they building type; trunkports are 11, spam is 31, radar dishes are 3
link = the building ID of another radar dish that you want to align to
online = 1 for online, 0 for offline -- you probably want to set this to online

* Team IDs:
-1 = grey, unaligned
0 = green, the good guys team
1 = red, the bad guys team
2 = yellow the player team
I think that you can set the radar dish to any team, and as long as it is aligned, you can use it. Thus, you could make the radar team -1 and align it using the above lines of game.txt. However, because the radar is set to team -1 (you should set it in game.txt and in the map file), the player will not be able to aim it. I am not sure, however, that you can use non-team 2 radar dishes, so you might want to test it, first.

xander

EDIT: andrewas got there first...
The GoldFish
level5
level5

Postby The GoldFish » Tue Jan 03, 2006 5:39 am

Last time I checked, if the radar dish wasn't on your team (team 2), the changes to them in 1.2 make is almost impossible to get your squad etc to go into them - the entry cursor etc wouldn't appear, and they'd try and walk inside the building.

But trying it is the way to go.
BrianBlessed
level4
level4

Postby BrianBlessed » Tue Jan 03, 2006 3:07 pm

Awthangu very much, putting them on team 1 seemed to make them untamperable but also you can walk into them with sqauds. Although the move icon doesn't appear on the radardish as it usually does when you click move on it, but the squad walk in nonetheless.

Still having a few problems with getting objectives to work, but the most bizaare is the water in one of my levels. Which randomly at some point started doing this.

I really don't know why...
BrianBlessed
level4
level4

Postby BrianBlessed » Tue Jan 03, 2006 3:50 pm

Nevermind, I just realised I had been using a water file in the place of a wave file, hence why the result are so strange.
hitm4n
level3
level3

Postby hitm4n » Tue Jan 03, 2006 4:38 pm

Hey, its great you are having a go at modding. How far along do you think you might be ? And what do you plan for this mod ??

Return to “Mod Projects”