Rocket model?

Talk about your new mod or map here

Moderators: bert_the_turtle, jelco

Sharpshot123
level1
level1

Rocket model?

Postby Sharpshot123 » Tue Dec 20, 2005 9:15 am

i am working on my own mod and id like a model of the rocket from the demo. also, if anyone can help me. id like to make a crash cutseen of that. but im new at this and dunno how to make any of that happen (moving it, making the flames come out, changing the terrian from before to after crash, ect.) so if anyone can help me with that, it would make my mod alot better looking :D .
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Tue Dec 20, 2005 4:59 pm

What you are asking to do is actually a lot of work. First, terrain is stored in the map file. Level names are based on the name of the map file (map file = map_LevelName.txt). This means that you have to have two seperate maps for one location -- they cannot share a name, so you will have to come up with a trick for making them look like the same place when they are not (see Droughtwinia for an example).

Second, building models are static. You place a building on the terrain, and it stays there without moving. There are exceptions (i.e. Refineries, Spam, Triffids, &c.), but they move only within very strict guidlines. I am not sure that you could actually animate a crashing Rocket Ship.

So, I think that your mod would have to do something like this:

First, you will need two maps. I am going to call them "map_NotCrashed.txt", "map_Crashed.txt".

map_NotCrashed.txt -- contains the uncrashed rocket and terrain
map_Crashed.txt -- contains the crashed rocket and terrain

Because you are swapping the map out for the terrain, you will not need a seperate mission file to swap buildings about -- you should be able to do that in map. That will make things a bit easier.

Then, you will need a script to run things together -- it will probably look something like this:

Code: Select all

#  in map_NotCrashed.txt
[Camera Movements, Strings, &c.]

ExitLocation
MakeAvailable map_Crashed.txt
MakeUnavalable map_NotCrashed.txt
EnterLocation map_Crashed.txt

# in map_Crashed.txt
[more Camera Movements, Strings, &c.]

xander
Sharpshot123
level1
level1

Postby Sharpshot123 » Tue Dec 20, 2005 7:24 pm

thx for the info. but i still need the rocket static. i cant find that in my buildings menu. if u can post that static and where to ectract it to, that would get things going for me. i have no idea how to use code :( . so if u can explain a little more on that and how i can get the Dr.(cant remember his name) picture and how to make him chat would also help. i dont think it will be more then copy and changing the text, cause he dosnt exactly do any.. feats of movement.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Tue Dec 20, 2005 7:30 pm

http://thenextgame.co.uk/guide.php
^^ Read through this before posting any more questions -- it will help you a lot.

Sharpshot123 wrote:thx for the info. but i still need the rocket static. i cant find that in my buildings menu.

Static shapes will not appear in the menu -- you have to type them in manually after placing a StaticShape building. The rocket shape should be in data/shapes (data/ is the directory created when you un-rar main.dat).

xander
Sharpshot123
level1
level1

Postby Sharpshot123 » Tue Dec 20, 2005 11:14 pm

ok. i read most of the guide. but it dosnt say much of something i was looking for, i have line for souls that run through some of my maps (they are line a giant pipe line for oil no end. no begining.) and i need a way for it to show souls being sent through the lines.
also, thank you xander for helping me with this. and being helpful even when i am new to this. i have to start somewhere and im glad that you were kind enough to help me.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Tue Dec 20, 2005 11:21 pm

Sharpshot123 wrote:ok. i read most of the guide. but it dosnt say much of something i was looking for, i have line for souls that run through some of my maps (they are line a giant pipe line for oil no end. no begining.) and i need a way for it to show souls being sent through the lines.
also, thank you xander for helping me with this. and being helpful even when i am new to this. i have to start somewhere and im glad that you were kind enough to help me.

If you are talking about pipe lines to feed a rocket with fuel, I have know idea how to make that work. It was added for the new demo, and is part of version 1.3. I am a Mac person, and we are still stuck with 1.22. So, anything to do with the rocket system is beyond my ken.

Sorry.

xander
Sharpshot123
level1
level1

Postby Sharpshot123 » Tue Dec 20, 2005 11:31 pm

not the pipelines. its the lines that move souls. it need it to work without any soul collecters connected.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Tue Dec 20, 2005 11:40 pm

SpiritSpawner -> ReceiverLinks

To expand upon that, put a SpiritSpawner at the origin of the "soul chain" (not to be confused with a soul train), and link that to a ReceiverLink. That should put you in business.

xander
Sharpshot123
level1
level1

Postby Sharpshot123 » Tue Dec 20, 2005 11:56 pm

i was trying to get it to work without a spirit spawner or the receiverlink. because im not useing any custom lighting (i didnt do anything with the lighting, its all default) and that shows any building. if i could black it out so u cant see it. then i can add the buildings, otherwise i gota do 1 of the 2 options, either balck out the buildings. or get scripting to make them spawn at a poll.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Wed Dec 21, 2005 12:00 am

Sharpshot123 wrote:i was trying to get it to work without a spirit spawner or the receiverlink. because im not useing any custom lighting (i didnt do anything with the lighting, its all default) and that shows any building. if i could black it out so u cant see it. then i can add the buildings, otherwise i gota do 1 of the 2 options, either balck out the buildings. or get scripting to make them spawn at a poll.

I'm not very smart, so you are going to have to break this down for me: what does lighting have to do with a Receiver system? Maybe you should explain what you are trying to do in more detail...

xander
andrewas
level4
level4

Postby andrewas » Wed Dec 21, 2005 12:06 am

Use a spirit spawner - it looks like a regular reciever link but spontaneously generates souls and passes them to the next link in the chain. I suppose you could do this with one links across across the entire map and hide the actual links inside terrain or another structure if thats the effect your after. Do not connect it to an actual spawning system , the spirit spawner and links conencted to it are for cosmetic use only.
Sharpshot123
level1
level1

Postby Sharpshot123 » Wed Dec 21, 2005 12:19 am

ok. well then ill tell you about the area that this is all in.. storyline helps understand it better.
the souls of darwinians was too much data with all the progaming of giving them freewill. so trunkports couldnt take their souls very far at all. not with the mass amounts coming through at once. so to get them from the receiver to the biosphere he use what he called "the soul line" a line that leads from the receiver areas to the biosphere, because this line ment everything to the generation of darwinians. he never let them near it. so he made it look like they where being directly sent from the receiver areas to the biosphere. the island where my mod begins is where he explains this and he shows you a line of souls going across the island on the line.
with that said. i need the line to make it Look like it has no start or end, that it continues to go without a soul spawner or a receiver. it only needs to look like that. if the soul spawner and the receiver where compltly black, then nobody can see them. creating the effect that there are no soul spawners, or a receiver.
Sharpshot123
level1
level1

Postby Sharpshot123 » Wed Dec 21, 2005 12:42 am

ok. i have a problem. i tried making a soul spawner and when i linked it to the soul link building i got this error.. im tring to fiddle with this. ut if you guys got any answers i would be alot happier.
AppName: darwinia.exe AppVer: 1.0.0.1 ModName: darwinia.exe
ModVer: 1.0.0.1 Offset: 00047767
C:\DOCUME~1\SHARPS~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\5b7a_appcompat.txt
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Wed Dec 21, 2005 12:46 am

It would help if you used the names given in the editor. It makes a difference. SpiritSpawners can only be linked to ReceiverLinks, SpiritReceivers, and SpiritProcessors. If you try to link it to anything else, Darwinia will crash. I assume to tried to link a SpiritSpawner to a SpawnLink, da?

xander
Sharpshot123
level1
level1

Postby Sharpshot123 » Wed Dec 21, 2005 1:06 am

well.. i only got.
spawn link
spawn point
spawn point master
spawn population lock
spirit processer
spirit receiver
spirit spawner

i am trying to get the spawnlink to have souls go along it. without there being a spirit processer or reveiver. i think i tried linking a spirit spawner to a spawn link.

Return to “Mod Projects”