Insurrection 1.1.7

Talk about your new mod or map here

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle

xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:55 pm

Sigh... yet another example of something that is different between versions. There is no crash on the Mac version.

xander
Shwart!!
level5
level5

Postby Shwart!! » Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:54 am

And no crash on Windows XP. Even though it's the same executable, running in a similar OS. It is illogical that it should crash on 7, if it doesn't elsewhere...
Anyone have a clue why this happens?

Shwart!!
The GoldFish
level5
level5

Postby The GoldFish » Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:54 am

xander wrote:Sigh... yet another example of something that is different between versions. There is no crash on the Mac version.

xander

Well it's actually just another example of what's already on page 36 of this thread, where the bug was originally discovered and a fix suggested. I don't think this one in particular is really IV's fault since it's probably a consequence of how the memory is set up when requested from the OS.
-- The GoldFish - member of former GIT and commander in chief of GALLAHAD. You could have done something, but it's been fixed. The end. Also, play bestgameever!
Shwart!!
level5
level5

Postby Shwart!! » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:15 am

This is true... I should have noticed the previous example earlier. Still, there's no reason why it should be crashing in the first place... I mean, how would it ever have worked if it's allocating research to a nonexistent setting? It should either work regardless, or not work at all.
But... if, you know, IV was ever to make another patch for Darwinia (coughmodtoolscough), they might be able to fix it... or maybe include a selectable 'no research' option. That would be nice, I think...

Shwart!!
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:46 pm

The GoldFish wrote:
xander wrote:Sigh... yet another example of something that is different between versions. There is no crash on the Mac version.

xander

Well it's actually just another example of what's already on page 36 of this thread, where the bug was originally discovered and a fix suggested. I don't think this one in particular is really IV's fault since it's probably a consequence of how the memory is set up when requested from the OS.

This was not a complaint directed at IV (or Ambrosia). Just general frustration at the lack of interoperability from one system to another. It is difficult for me to debug something that I can't reproduce myself (which, among other things, has lead to my loss of interest in maintaining this project).

xander
The GoldFish
level5
level5

Postby The GoldFish » Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:32 pm

Now now, no being decietful! We all know that, as a mac whore, you find that anyone who develops primarily for windows, and now their satan box, the 360, is always at fault no matter what they do (even if they didn't do it), especially if they're not repenting!

To be fair, though, I don't think what you were doing ever really worked - it just failed to crash and produced some of the right results, on some of the implimentations. You certainly weren't appropriating blame either way - I mentioned it since I just assumed that blaming IV is what people did nowerdays and was discouraging it (since many bugs actually were created due to insignificant changes IV makes to the way the game worked) and was trying to make clear what the cause of it was likely to be.

Fortunately, now that D+ is on the horizon, us Darwinia modders can rejoice that the PC version of the game and it's ability to play mods in the first place will soon be a forgotton memory, an after-thought to the 16*4 man-month main menu toting identical version of the game we've been playing for 5 years, so we won't have to worry about helping people fix bugs we never could have imagined were silently fermenting! \o/

Seriously though, I'd wager it's actually impossible in every way to play stricken on the 360. Also this post follows the ABAB, not-serious/serious post formatting structure. It's like a rhyming couplet, except for paragraphs. No, really.
Descore
level0

Re: Insurrection 1.1.7

Postby Descore » Mon Feb 06, 2023 7:56 pm

I know it's an old thread but so is everything in here except for the Beta thread ;) So forgive me for reopening.
The link in the OP doesn't work any more, and I didn't find 1.1.7 anywhere. So if someone knows where I can download it, please let me know.

In the mean time, I've played through 1.1.6 several times and I must say, apart from a few glitches in my second playthrough that were by no means showstoppers, I simply loved this mod, the storyline and mission design is at least on par with the original levels and completely renewed the game. Well done and thank you, even though it's many years ago.

And thanks to Introversion for making only games I like (the jury's still out on Scanner Sombre since I've only played about 45 minutes), but even more for supporting and updating one of my favourite indie classics of all times with a brand new remastered version, and still doing betas etc. I hope this becomes a cult classic revived, because it's really a unique and awesome game!

Return to “Mod Projects”