Insurrection 1.1.7

Talk about your new mod or map here

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle

AlexV
level0

I seem to be missing the squad - even after Discovery

Postby AlexV » Sat Sep 27, 2008 7:16 pm

I seem to be having some trouble here - after finally completing Discovery, and leaving the location, the chat text tells me that the Squad program is now available. I then left Darwinia (had spent far too long on Discovery already!). When I returned, I decided to try Station with a squad, but Squad does not appear in the task manager. I tried resetting the Station location, but that made no difference. Returning to Discovery doesn't help, as it is still completed (so I don't have the option to reset that one).

Did I misunderstand the text - am I actually going to get the Squad at some later time? Or has something gone wrong?

Thanks for a great mod, by the way, I'm only at the beginning, but I'm really enjoying it - Recruitment was fantastic.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Sat Sep 27, 2008 9:06 pm

The squad program is granted when (a) you get a squad to the SafeArea in Discovery (that is, you get a squaddie to the top of the last island) and (b) you are "NotInLocation" (which means that you are looking at the world map). If the script that grants you squads fired, you should have seen the text "<Greenbrae> Done! You should now be able to create squads." As soon as the text is done, squads should be granted. However, if you quit the game before the text finished, then you would not have been granted the squad research item, which could be your problem.

If the research was not granted, then you are going to either have to start over again, or manually give yourself the research. This can be done by decrypting your game.txt file (search the forums for "redshirt2" to get a decrypter), and alter the correct line so that it reads " Research Squad 0 1". You will not have to re-encrypt the file once you are done.

xander
AlexV
level0

Postby AlexV » Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:02 am

Ah, that must be it. I saw the text you mentioned, but exited as soon as I had read it, which was probably a little too soon. Thanks for the heads-up on the redshirt2 decrypting, I didn't much fancy doing Discovery for a second time.
Destillat
level0

Postby Destillat » Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:46 am

I seem to be having a problem that I can't find a remedy for.

I've reached the level secondary_core, and played a bit of it, then left the level and the game. When I tried to load back in, I can get to the map selection screen, click on secondary_core, and then poof, game crashes. I've tried unloading-reloading the mod, I've tried unloading-rebooting-reloading-rebooting the mod. I've tried looking in the .txt files for maybe a way to reset the level but I can't make heads or tails of it.

So outside of going into the level and choosing reset location, can I somehow reset it? Or even better, is there some way to make it not crash? Either way is fine by me.

Thus far I'm loving the mod though, the story and game play are stellar and in my head I'm treating Insurrection as an un-official sequel. Thanks a lot for making it!

Edit: It appears I was able to fix my problem by just pulling the original mission_secondary_core.txt file out of the mods zip file and putting in the user file. Please disregard :D
Last edited by Destillat on Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
The GoldFish
level5
level5

Postby The GoldFish » Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:03 am

Option 1; BACK IT UP and then delete (I assume) mission_secondary_core.txt from your profile directory - will reset the mission like resetting the mission from the menu would reset it. Fingers crossed, it was the right file :P.

Option 2; Post up the crazy encrypted contents of your mission_secondary_core.txt using the forum's code tags and I (or someone else maybe) will decrypt it for you and work out why on earth it's crashing, and probably post up a fix for you os you can carry on!
Destillat
level0

Postby Destillat » Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:26 am

The GoldFish wrote:Option 1; BACK IT UP and then delete (I assume) mission_secondary_core.txt from your profile directory - will reset the mission like resetting the mission from the menu would reset it. Fingers crossed, it was the right file :P.

Option 2; Post up the crazy encrypted contents of your mission_secondary_core.txt using the forum's code tags and I (or someone else maybe) will decrypt it for you and work out why on earth it's crashing, and probably post up a fix for you os you can carry on!
I fixed the problem before I rechecked the thread but thanks! I found redshirt2 and played around with it. I don't think it was the squaddies problem that many people have because I deleted them from my running program list and the game still crashed. At any rate, it works now so thanks!
The GoldFish
level5
level5

Postby The GoldFish » Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:27 pm

Squadie bug has nothing to do with running programs.
-- The GoldFish - member of former GIT and commander in chief of GALLAHAD. You could have done something, but it's been fixed. The end. Also, play bestgameever!
Culex
level1
level1

Postby Culex » Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:16 am

I played the mod as far as to Sanctuary, which I completed. I got told to go to Backdoor a second time, there I saw a short "dialog" about the modified rendering engine. After "There!" Darwinia segfaulted with a blackbox (http://nopaste.com/p/akLicay7D).

When I re-enter the mission the screen stays black and the mission is "ERROR (null)"

I'm running Darwinia 1.4.0b9 (latest version for Linux) on Arch Linux on a Pentium 4 3.0 GHz (32bit).
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Sat Nov 15, 2008 5:05 pm

Hrm...

The whole transition to the second Backdoor map is a bit of a hack. Once you complete a level in Darwinia, it is impossible to reset that level. Thus, after you beat Backdoor the first time, you never actually return to that location. Instead, when you try to enter Backdoor, a script triggers which takes you out of Backdoor, and into another identical level. It sounds like the correct mission file is not being set somewhere along the line. Can you post a copy of the game.txt file that can be found in your user profile directory?

xander
Culex
level1
level1

Postby Culex » Sat Nov 15, 2008 5:48 pm

http://nopaste.com/p/aUyHHWtPH

I hope this helps. I decrypted it for you already. I think something's wrong with the BuildingOnline events, but I have no clue.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:08 pm

Culex wrote:http://nopaste.com/p/aUyHHWtPH

I hope this helps. I decrypted it for you already. I think something's wrong with the BuildingOnline events, but I have no clue.

What version if Insurrection are you playing, and is there any chance that you upgraded from one version to another without starting a new profile? There is definitely something wrong with the building online section -- I think that all of those (null)s should be "backdoor_b"s. However, without knowing what version of the mod you have, I am not entirely sure (the behaviour of the Backdoor transition was changed in one of the later versions to prevent problems like what you are having).

xander
Culex
level1
level1

Postby Culex » Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:34 pm

I never upgraded and use 1.1.7. So I'm pretty new to the mod. I'll see if you trick helps.

No, it didn't. Still crashing and I don't really feel like replaying to get to the other story line.
briceman2
level2
level2

Postby briceman2 » Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:12 am

Hi Culex, I'm on 1.4.0b9 too and I happen to have a bunch of save game snapshots from 1.1.7 from a long time ago.

So if you want to upgrade your Insurrection and try my "bak7" just PM me your email and I'll attach a zip or tgz of the profile directory. Bak7 looks like it was saved just after (or during) backdoor_a but before sanctuary -- neither sanctuary nor backdoor_b are yet included in the saved mission files. I've got a save game "bak8" which has sanctuary, but also backdoor_b and a backdoor_b_warp1 mission... bak8 is timestamped an hour after bak7 so I doubt it is where you want to start replaying, but I'll send it too if you ask for it.

Note: I haven't loaded up any of these save games -- just going by their directory listings -- so caveat whatever applies ;)

EDIT: my _ReadMeFirst file says I was probably playing 1.1.6 ... xander would that make any difference wrt using save games with 1.1.7? The file was dated Jun or Jul 2006... maybe xander didn't update the file for 1.1.7? doesn't sound like xander, but IIRC 1.1.7 was out before that... or was it?
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Sun Nov 16, 2008 3:28 am

briceman2 wrote:Hi Culex, I'm on 1.4.0b9 too and I happen to have a bunch of save game snapshots from 1.1.7 from a long time ago.

So if you want to upgrade your Insurrection and try my "bak7" just PM me your email and I'll attach a zip or tgz of the profile directory. Bak7 looks like it was saved just after (or during) backdoor_a but before sanctuary -- neither sanctuary nor backdoor_b are yet included in the saved mission files. I've got a save game "bak8" which has sanctuary, but also backdoor_b and a backdoor_b_warp1 mission... bak8 is timestamped an hour after bak7 so I doubt it is where you want to start replaying, but I'll send it too if you ask for it.

Note: I haven't loaded up any of these save games -- just going by their directory listings -- so caveat whatever applies ;)

EDIT: my _ReadMeFirst file says I was probably playing 1.1.6 ... xander would that make any difference wrt using save games with 1.1.7? The file was dated Jun or Jul 2006... maybe xander didn't update the file for 1.1.7? doesn't sound like xander, but IIRC 1.1.7 was out before that... or was it?

I may not have actually updated the version number -- check the change log at the bottom of _ReadMeFirst.txt -- if there are changes for 1.1.7 noted, then you have 1.1.7. And the changes to that particular hack seem to have occurred at or around 1.1.4, so anything more recent than that really should be fine.

xander
briceman2
level2
level2

Postby briceman2 » Sun Nov 16, 2008 4:26 am

... yup, I have (and was playing) 1.1.7 -- only the version at the top of the file reads 1.1.6.

Return to “Mod Projects”