Insurrection 1.1.7

Talk about your new mod or map here

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle

ShepFan
level2
level2

Postby ShepFan » Sun Jun 18, 2006 4:33 am

skull13 wrote:I cant figure out this story. It just gets boring. I know that you won't fix this, but on 'discovery' I cant seem to find the squad when I try to cheat with the map editor. You may not know that if I don't cheat... well, i'm pretty much a quitter.

Did you read the PDF file that comes with the mod? It isn't optional-you must read it to understand the story.

I enjoyed the mod quite a lot. I did cheat on Discovery the first time through, by maxing out their Lasers and Grenades.

-ShepFan
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Tue Jun 20, 2006 12:15 am

skull13 wrote:I cant figure out this story. It just gets boring. I know that you won't fix this, but on 'discovery' I cant seem to find the squad when I try to cheat with the map editor. You may not know that if I don't cheat... well, i'm pretty much a quitter.

You have basically said the following:
skull13 wrote:I want to cheat at your mod, but I can't figure out how to do it. That must be a bug.

1) No, you won't see the squad in the editor. It is not a bug.
2) Why do you think that I am going to help you cheat. If you are smart enough to figure it out on your own, good for you. If not, I have no incentive to help you. Play the game as it was meant to be played.

xander
IgD
level1
level1

Nasty crash

Postby IgD » Wed Jun 21, 2006 2:59 am

Hi I'm pretty far in this mod. I got to the level with 2 soul destroyers that are guarding two portals: backdoor and core(?). Anyways I killed the soul destroyer and unlocked the portal. When I got taken to the next level I experienced a Windows error that exited me out of the game. I was asked if I wanted to send a bug report to Microsoft. If I try to restart the game when I enter the next map the same problem happens again. Does anyone have any advice on how to fix this problem? Thanks!
xander
level5
level5

Re: Nasty crash

Postby xander » Wed Jun 21, 2006 3:05 am

IgD wrote:Hi I'm pretty far in this mod. I got to the level with 2 soul destroyers that are guarding two portals: backdoor and core(?). Anyways I killed the soul destroyer and unlocked the portal. When I got taken to the next level I experienced a Windows error that exited me out of the game. I was asked if I wanted to send a bug report to Microsoft. If I try to restart the game when I enter the next map the same problem happens again. Does anyone have any advice on how to fix this problem? Thanks!

Which trunkport did you open? The one to Backdoor, or the one to Primary_Core? If you use Darwinia 1.3, does the crash also occur? Was a blackbox file created? Does it crash if you use the AccessAllAreas profile?

I believe that there is a bug in Darwinia that will cause Insurrection to crash on Windows machines when Primary_Core begins, but I have not been able to get enough information to track it down, and, as I am on a Mac, can reproduce the error. While it is a bit late for this now, it would probably be best to avoid the level on a Windows machine, until the bug is fixed, or until I figure out what the problem is. On the bright side, Primary_Core is the last level, so you are not missing out on that much. Sorry.

xander
IgD
level1
level1

Postby IgD » Wed Jun 21, 2006 4:05 am

Xander, thanks for the reply. I opened the port to Primary_Core. I don't have Darwinia 1.3 I'm using 1.42. The game crashes every time I try to enter Primary_Core and is 100% reproducable. I'm not familiar with any error or log files for the game. Can you tell me what file you need? If I copy you the save game files will that allow you to reproduce the error?

Thanks.
IgD
level1
level1

Postby IgD » Wed Jun 21, 2006 4:07 am

Xander, I archived my save game files if you want to try it that reproduces the crash every time on Windows as described above. PM me your e-mail address and I will send it over.
trickfred
level5
level5

Postby trickfred » Wed Jun 21, 2006 4:11 am

I'm on Windows; I'll try it out too, copy me on the save files - unless xander has objections. Email's in my profile.

Edit: Looks like the ole Red DG/AI Turret bug. Read back a few pages in this thread, you'll see it talked about.
btp
level0

Discovery Level - Squad?

Postby btp » Tue Jun 27, 2006 3:34 pm

Hi there - it's my first post so if I ask a particularly common and/or moronic question here please be gentle with me... :wink:

Downloaded Insurrection the other day and am thoroughly enjoying it - great work xander. :D

However I'm having a problem, and either it's just me doing the wrong thing or there's something wrong with my game. I've been trying and trying to find a solution to this, and either I've not found it yet (which would just be my own fault), or I'm wasting my time looking as there actually is something wrong.

Now I definitely don't want to be one of these annoying newbie types that comes on and complains and asks for help/solutions/cheats/etc when he hasn't put in the effort to try and solve the issue himself.
So all I wanted was to ask this question and get a yes or no answer and then deal with it myself:

Is it normal (having completed Rebellion, Database and Recruitment) that there is no squad beneath the trees when I first go into Discovery?

Muchas gracias in advance... :D
xander
level5
level5

Re: Discovery Level - Squad?

Postby xander » Tue Jun 27, 2006 5:45 pm

btp wrote:Is it normal (having completed Rebellion, Database and Recruitment) that there is no squad beneath the trees when I first go into Discovery?

No, that is decidedly abnormal. Is there any chance that you started the level, got your squad killed, then left? If you reset the level, is the squad in place? Also, check the top of the first island, or the base of the third island, near the radar dish. If any of these things work out, please let me know. Also, can you tell me exactly what you did, in as much detail as possible? If you never entered Discovery, and there is no squad there, that is a problem I would like to track down...

xander
btp
level0

Re: Discovery Level - Squad?

Postby btp » Tue Jun 27, 2006 6:04 pm

xander wrote:
btp wrote:Is it normal (having completed Rebellion, Database and Recruitment) that there is no squad beneath the trees when I first go into Discovery?

No, that is decidedly abnormal. Is there any chance that you started the level, got your squad killed, then left? If you reset the level, is the squad in place? Also, check the top of the first island, or the base of the third island, near the radar dish. If any of these things work out, please let me know. Also, can you tell me exactly what you did, in as much detail as possible? If you never entered Discovery, and there is no squad there, that is a problem I would like to track down...

Hi there, cheers for the reply :D

Re getting the squad killed, I don't think so - I entered the level as normal, let the intro script run (why the lifeforms were created and how some became predators etc...) and the camera panned over the islands until it reached the trees. The obvious implication was that the squad should have been standing there (and reading on here has confirmed that), but there was nothing.

Reseting the level doesn't work - just does the same thing. Have tried reseting, playing it, and quickly 'entering' through the intro in case they were maybe being killed while I read it, but they're definitely not there.

Top of the 1st island has the officer and the 5-6 green darwinians, but no squad.

Base of the third has nothing but the dish.

I've moved all over the island looking and can't see any sign of them, and I was beginning to think I needed to do something else in a different level so they'd appear, but couldn't find anything.

One thing which occurred to me (but which I think is unlikely to be relevant) was a wee thing I spotted in your Read Me First:

"1.1.0 Squad in Discovery moved from InstantUnits to RunningUnits"

Could this have had any effect? To be honest, I don't really understand the technical side of the game at all well, I just like playing it! :wink: Maybe the above is totally irrelevant to this issue.

As I said I'm not looking for any unfair help as I want to play it properly, but I was pretty sure this wasn't meant to happen.

Anyway, not complaining too much - if nothing else I can always try and edit the level myself and pop a squad in there fairly easily (how many members should there be in that squad by the way?), but if there's another solution that'd be great.

Thanks once again for a great bit of work and for any assistance that you can think of. :D
ShepFan
level2
level2

Postby ShepFan » Tue Jun 27, 2006 7:12 pm

Just to lob in an idea or two from the peanut gallery... I'm not the expert, so take it with a grain of salt...

When you're in Discovery, do you see a squad in the Task Manager? There should be 6 in the squad. (Dumb question, but covering all the bases...)

If so, type a "1" (number one, not a lowercase "L"), to select the squad, and see if you can find the squad by following yellow arrows, one (if the squad's offscreen) to four (if onscreen).

It's strange that the Reset Level didn't help...

Also, I'm pretty sure you won't be able to add the squad with the editor. At least, I know they're not in the editor to be changed--they're created programmatically at runtime. (I believe that's what the "1.1.0 Squad..." comment in the readme refers to.)

From the long shot dept: Is it possible you didn't really truly complete Rebellion, Database and/or Recruitment? Maybe some objective remained uncompleted, so some presumed "Acquired Squad" flag didn't get set?

Where did you DL the mod from? (making sure you have the latest version). I've read, and I think I stumbled on, an old link on this board that went to an old version.

That's all I can think of. I'm a huge fan of Insurrection, so I hope you don't give up.

-ShepFan
btp
level0

Postby btp » Tue Jun 27, 2006 8:09 pm

ShepFan wrote:Just to lob in an idea or two from the peanut gallery... I'm not the expert, so take it with a grain of salt...

When you're in Discovery, do you see a squad in the Task Manager? There should be 6 in the squad. (Dumb question, but covering all the bases...)

If so, type a "1" (number one, not a lowercase "L"), to select the squad, and see if you can find the squad by following yellow arrows, one (if the squad's offscreen) to four (if onscreen).

It's strange that the Reset Level didn't help...

Also, I'm pretty sure you won't be able to add the squad with the editor. At least, I know they're not in the editor to be changed--they're created programmatically at runtime. (I believe that's what the "1.1.0 Squad..." comment in the readme refers to.)

From the long shot dept: Is it possible you didn't really truly complete Rebellion, Database and/or Recruitment? Maybe some objective remained uncompleted, so some presumed "Acquired Squad" flag didn't get set?

Where did you DL the mod from? (making sure you have the latest version). I've read, and I think I stumbled on, an old link on this board that went to an old version.

That's all I can think of. I'm a huge fan of Insurrection, so I hope you don't give up.

-ShepFan

Cheers ShepFan - to answer your questions:

Nope, no squad in Task Manager unfortunately.

Will have a go with the editor, but if you don't think it'll work that's maybe not a good sign... oh well.

I was pretty sure I had completed those other 3 levels, and going over them again last night and this morning, I couldn't see a single thing left to do (unless you need to wipe out every last red darwinian on Recruitment - have got it down to 1 but just can't find him!). I was thinking much the same thing though, that perhaps there was something left to do, but after a LOT of searching I was beginning to think I was wasting my time...

Downloaded 1.1.6 from here - The Next Game, and it seems to have been updated on the 14th of June this year, so it's fairly up to date (unless there's maybe an even more recent version out there?).

Ah well, never mind - I'll see if I can do anything with the editor for now and check back later in case anything else comes up.

Thanks very much for the advice. Certainly won't give up - what I've seen of the mod so far has been great! :D
trickfred
level5
level5

Postby trickfred » Tue Jun 27, 2006 8:28 pm

...Here's a potentially silly question...

...Could you confirm what version of Darwinia are you using? If you're not playing with v1.3 or higher, then the RunningPrograms feature won't be understood, and you won't see any Squadies in that level. Current Darwinia patch version is v1.42 for PC and Mac, and 1.3 for linux (with 1.4x in beta IIRC).
btp
level0

Postby btp » Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:37 pm

...Here's a potentially silly question...

...Could you confirm what version of Darwinia are you using? If you're not playing with v1.3 or higher, then the RunningPrograms feature won't be understood, and you won't see any Squadies in that level. Current Darwinia patch version is v1.42 for PC and Mac, and 1.3 for linux (with 1.4x in beta IIRC).

Trickfred you may have it - I never even thought to check that, and I think I might be on 1.21 (I know, I know, I should watch out for the updates...). D'oh!!! :oops:

Will go get a later version now and see if that helps.

FWIW I tried editing some squadies in - it actually worked initially (once I reset the level) and I was able to get them up to the top of the hill. As soon as I got there though, a Dr G script started running, and when it was over they had disappeared. I think when I edited it it was only applicable to discovery mission 2, and after the script I was in mission 3 (does this sound right?).

Anyway I tried the same trick and this time the edited level crashed completely every time I entered Discovery. I kept backups of the levels though and have reinstated them, so I'll now try getting a newer version as that sounds quite promising.

Thanks very much :D
btp
level0

Postby btp » Wed Jun 28, 2006 12:21 am

Well, guess what - that was it. Quelle shock. :D

Downloaded and extracted version 1.42, reset the level and bingo! A squad appears... Thanks very much Trickfred!

And look - a load of new features... a new control system... you can play in German...(!)

MUST. CHECK. FOR. UPDATES. REGULARLY.

Feel free to all sigh, shake your heads, and mutter, "Bloody newbies..." under your breath... :wink:

Thanks very much to all who helped, and apologies for missing (and then bothering you guys and gals with) such an obvious problem.

Return to “Mod Projects”