Insurrection 1.1.7

Talk about your new mod or map here

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle

xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Wed Dec 28, 2005 6:41 am

thefrogger wrote:When I got to processor, I noticed that I hadn't yet acquired the Airstrike program. Going back into Repository revealed that I had exited the level before all of the operating ports on the machine were full of DGs. My bad, however letting the rest of the ports fill still didn't trigger the grant_airstrike script. (In fact, every time leaving and reentering this level a few ports are again unfilled). I manually gave myself the Airstrike research in game.txt and proceeded. This may or may not be related to the next problem.

AirStrike is granted when a SafeArea that surrounds the Yard building in Station goes online (in addition to a couple of other buildings -- they are all objectives in one place or another). There is a ten second delay in the middle of the script -- I may get rid of that, I am still considering it. In terms of plot, it makes sense for there to be a delay (probably on the order of several minutes, but that is asking a lot of the player); however, these delays seem to be causing problems. I will give it more consideration when I sober up in the morning.

thefrogger wrote:When I completed Processor, nothing happened to open up the access to Annihilation. The level was visible, but not accessible. One possible reason is that I opened the trunk port last. (Kind of missed it earlier). The soul throughput dropped to 0 after the trunk port opened, even though it had already been >50 to complete the other objective. Seems something wiggy was going on there. In any case, I'm stuck now without being able to begin Annihilation.

Have you completed Image? Annihilation is available after the trunkport is open, but there is no mission set until Image is complete. It is much the same in the original scenario with Yard. You must complete Generator and Mine before you can actually play Yard. Let me know on that one.

With regards to the Squad script, I removed the delay in that one. I like it, but couldn't really come up with an alternative (I may throw in some other script triggers a bit later, but am undecided at the moment, and just a little drunk -- I will give it further thought tomorrow).

xander
thefrogger
level2
level2

Postby thefrogger » Wed Dec 28, 2005 6:48 am

xander wrote:AirStrike is granted... There is a ten second delay in the middle of the script

If I leave the level before that time elapses, (but don't leave the game), does that cause abortion of the script? I definitely didn't leave the game, but could have left the level early.

xander wrote:Have you completed Image?

Ahh, I don't even *see* Image. That's the same problem reported by others, and now I'm having it too. Looks like your recent fix did not work. (This session was started with a new profile and the 1.0.1 update).
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Wed Dec 28, 2005 6:52 am

thefrogger wrote:
xander wrote:AirStrike is granted... There is a ten second delay in the middle of the script

If I leave the level before that time elapses, (but don't leave the game), does that cause abortion of the script? I definitely didn't leave the game, but could have left the level early.

In my experience, it does not, but that could be the root of the problem.

thefrogger wrote:
xander wrote:Have you completed Image?

Ahh, I don't even *see* Image. That's the same problem reported by others, and now I'm having it too. Looks like your recent fix did not work. (This session was started with a new profile and the 1.0.1 update).

WTF? Looking at the files again: when you finish Processor (i.e. building 2 is online (the trunkport to Annihilation) and building 20 is online (the SpritProcessro)), and you leave the location, a script should run... This script should make Image available, and give you an intro to Image. Have you seen the Image intro at all?

xander

EDIT: Son of a ----. Okay, I think I just figured out what the problem is. The script image_in.txt needs an EnterLocation line at the beginning. That still does not explain why Image is not becoming availible, though, as that should be done in game.txt.
thefrogger
level2
level2

Postby thefrogger » Wed Dec 28, 2005 8:43 am

xander wrote:Have you seen the Image intro at all?

I did not see the Image intro this time. It worked in an early version, but I probably haven't played this section since many version updates ago.

I saved a backup after Discovery, so I can probably get back to this point in not too much time if you get a new version to try out.

- John
Icepick
level5
level5

Postby Icepick » Wed Dec 28, 2005 10:39 am

http://thenextgame.co.uk/mods.php?mid=23

Theres no description because your readme is in PDF, and PDF fucking sucks, and your actual readme (ie, the only one anyone is ever going to read) didn't have one in. If you want to send me one, feel free.
halyavin
level0

Postby halyavin » Wed Dec 28, 2005 7:44 pm

xander
Your fix solve my problem - now there is 1 mm between radar line and ground but this 1mm is enough to bring this route online. 8)
Icepick
I like PDF, it is definitely better than ".doc" format :wink: .
The GoldFish
level5
level5

Postby The GoldFish » Wed Dec 28, 2005 9:02 pm

I dislike PDF because;

it's a sod to actually copy/paste anything out of it
-- The GoldFish - member of former GIT and commander in chief of GALLAHAD. You could have done something, but it's been fixed. The end. Also, play bestgameever!
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Thu Dec 29, 2005 1:47 am

For those that dislike PDF, what do you suggest? I don't really see a problem with it, and it is really the only way that I know of to release a document that can be read by just about anyone, and will look the same to everyone. I suppose that I could create a bitmap image, but I think that would be worse -- copy/paste would be even more difficult, and the file size would be huge. Honestly, I don't see what the problem is.

As for a description:

"Nearly a year has passed since the Great Viral War. In that time, prophets have risen, the People have been split, and war has engulfed Darwinia. In these dark days, there is hope. A small group of Darwinians have broken the sacred taboos, and contacted an outsider. Their goal: to free Darwinia from the iron grip of Church of Sepulveda."

Also, feel free to post my email -- xhenderson@gmail.com .

xander
NeoThermic
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby NeoThermic » Thu Dec 29, 2005 4:59 am

xander wrote:For those that dislike PDF, what do you suggest?

RTF. There's nothing better for cross platform compatable documents.

NeoThermic
thefrogger
level2
level2

Postby thefrogger » Thu Dec 29, 2005 5:03 am

xander wrote:AirStrike is granted when a SafeArea that surrounds the Yard building in Station goes online

In one more play thru from Discovery, I once again never received Airstrike. And disregard what I said earlier about possibly leaving Repository too early before all building ports were occupied by DGs. This time that building was definitely filled before leaving, and it still shows empty slots when I return.

I hung out in all levels an extra 30 seconds after seeing the "all completed" message, so whatever is going wrong with grant_airstrike doesn't seem to be timer related after all.
andrewas
level4
level4

Postby andrewas » Thu Dec 29, 2005 1:26 pm

The GoldFish wrote:I dislike PDF because;

it's a sod to actually copy/paste anything out of it

In Acrobat, Press V to get into text select mode. Which will let you select and copy text. Press H to get back into hand mode, which will let you move around with the mouse. Its annoying only in that its unconventional. On the other hand, none of this is dictated by the format as such, so I'd bet on there being a reader available which provides a more standard navigiation and selection mechanism.
hitm4n
level3
level3

Postby hitm4n » Thu Dec 29, 2005 2:15 pm

WTF's wrong with plain old .txt ?
I still haven't even played this mod, i don't relish having to start over and over again cos of all these problems. Is it close to 100% working now ?
andrewas
level4
level4

Postby andrewas » Thu Dec 29, 2005 3:06 pm

Whats wrong with plain old .txt is that xander chose to create something more than your average readme. It has images, background material, you couldnt do it properly in .txt or even .rtf.

As for the problems in Insurrection, the only problem I had was a mission file not being set, trivial to fix by hand.
hitm4n
level3
level3

Postby hitm4n » Thu Dec 29, 2005 3:28 pm

well i read the pdf when the first beta release was made but forgot about the piccies.

/me loads it up...

hmm, a title pic and 1 newspaper type pic. I'm almost sure they wouldn't be missed. The txt file would be tons smaller, would load quicker and wouldn't require an extra installation to view it.

please let it be known, i have no problem with pdf personally, but they really aren't as global as .txt and not everyone has a viewer installed...

And i'm sure the mod is great, but thefrogger keeps finding problems that break things. I'd rather be able to play it right thru. Oh, and i'm sure its very easy to fix stuff manually if you know what you're doing. Some people do not, and i personally have no inclination to learn. I just wanna play em ! :)
thefrogger
level2
level2

Postby thefrogger » Thu Dec 29, 2005 6:50 pm

hitm4n wrote:hmm, a title pic and 1 newspaper type pic. I'm almost sure they wouldn't be missed.

And font changes, and italics, and footnotes, and clickable links, and the fact that it looks like a newspaper in the first place. Many people actually appreciate a professional appearance and attention to detail. Kudos to xander for the extra work, even if it fails to please some people.

Once this Image problem is fixed, the mod should be ready to play all the way through with no problems; but there have been worse things in my life than having to play through an excellent mod multiple times.

Return to “Mod Projects”