The Big Mod (campaign 2) - parts 1,2 & 3 available

Talk about your new mod or map here

Moderators: bert_the_turtle, jelco

martin
level5
level5

Postby martin » Sat Jun 03, 2006 9:56 am

NeoThermic wrote:
Just *avoid* Quad-SLi. It doesn't even bet a single 7900. Seriously, just avoid.

NeoThermic

realy :shock: I knew that quad SLi wasn't worht it but I didn't know it was *worse* than a single card!

lowell wrote:
lowell

cool, I haven't ever seen you on there :( I'm called Harlequin btw

what do you mean WW3 maps? the only maps I know (because of course I haven't played since my graphics card died) are fortress, silo, vaccine and radioshack.
GENERATION 22:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
NeoThermic
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby NeoThermic » Sat Jun 03, 2006 2:06 pm

martin wrote:
NeoThermic wrote:
Just *avoid* Quad-SLi. It doesn't even bet a single 7900. Seriously, just avoid.

NeoThermic

realy :shock: I knew that quad SLi wasn't worht it but I didn't know it was *worse* than a single card!

Yeah, see, nVidia haven't yet botherd to fix SLi problems, and then they release Quad SLi. Suffice to say, problems range from non-starting games, to some games having the image drawn four times on the same screen. Sure, you can power your display to 2560x1600, but hey, its no good if the image you're looking at is fucked :P

So, quick recap, single card == ATi, dual cards = SLi, quad cards = avoid.

NeoThermic
CorporateSpectre
level0

Postby CorporateSpectre » Sat Jun 03, 2006 4:36 pm

When I first bought an SLI motherboard, I thought it would be good for upgrading my setup by just adding another card at some point, rather than buying the latest one. But it doesnt really work in practice. Graphics cards are advancing technologically so fast that the latest card always seems to be better than an SLI configuratin of two older cards. Two lesser 256 cards doesnt give you the same as one 512 cards, for example. Its the same with pixel pipelines and other stuff. Its not even that much cheaper to buy another card and SLI them if you sell your old card to offset the cost of a single newer one. So SLI is rubbish at the moment. And as for people actually buying two SLI cards at the same time - you must be very rich or very crazy
Lowell
level3
level3

Postby Lowell » Sat Jun 03, 2006 8:39 pm

Well the duel setup did speed up rendering. Although I have split the cards into two boxs now. A single 7900 in each. The card I am buying now is the Realizm 800 by 3D Labs. But those card setups are for Rendering LightWave, just bought 3D Max as well as many many others. The 3D Labs card will allow me to get up to 3840 x 2400 in resolution. It has 256 GB of virtual memory. I am buying a new 30" monitor widescreen. I also am buying NewTek's Video Toaster this summer and will build a raid five just for that machine.

These are not toys for the kids...I am studing to do special effects and modeling for the film industry. It just so happens they make killer game machines...

I think you would like the Intel 975 board with a single GeForce card, duel core cpu and ram, 500w p/s.
Lowell
level3
level3

Postby Lowell » Sun Jun 04, 2006 12:24 am

martin wrote:

what do you mean WW3 maps? the only maps I know (because of course I haven't played since my graphics card died) are fortress, silo, vaccine and radioshack.

WWIII game servers...they are usually at the top of the pick on the server list. I am a member of the WWIII group. I upgraded to version 4, but had a few troubles last night. I will be back online tonight there. It stays full most of the time.

I need to make myself a sig banner...I like the Heavy Corps. Been playing long? Me a couple years. I was in the middle of making a Dystopia map when I got side tracked here... :D
Azati Prime
level1
level1

Postby Azati Prime » Sun Jun 04, 2006 1:23 am

martin wrote:
Azati Prime wrote:Weird, when I run this mod Darwinia seems to just start from the beginning with no apparent changes. I played through the first level and part of the second level hoping it would split off into the mod but no luck. Did I screw up somehow?

ahh, that's a common problem. What happened is when you unpacked it you buired it too deep.

Do you get that? Or have I just spouted lines of nonsense?

Ah, that did the trick. It was in some subfolder called TBM-MS.

EDIT: Hm, I've played through the entire first mod up until the Control Center level. The game keeps crashing a few seconds into the level. It was working perfectly fine before.
martin
level5
level5

Postby martin » Sun Jun 04, 2006 12:17 pm

Lowell wrote:
martin wrote:

WWIII game servers...they are usually at the top of the pick on the server list. I am a member of the WWIII group. I upgraded to version 4, but had a few troubles last night. I will be back online tonight there. It stays full most of the time.

I need to make myself a sig banner...I like the Heavy Corps. Been playing long? Me a couple years. I was in the middle of making a Dystopia map when I got side tracked here... :D

from about september, I like the medium punks - although sometimes I go on a heavy suicide run :P
GENERATION 22:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
The GoldFish
level5
level5

Postby The GoldFish » Sun Jun 04, 2006 1:39 pm

NeoThermic wrote:So, quick recap, single card == ATi...

Haha, good one...

Seriously though, the 1900XTX is the fastest. It's also incredibly noisy, (and has a high power consumption, but no one really cares as your PSU will prolly kick it's ass anyway). If noise doesn't bother you, carry on.

It seems a 1900XTX is over 300 pounds. That's 300 pounds worth of market where 'single card == ATI' doesn't necesserily apply. This highend market usually flips from ATi to nVidia and nVidia to ATI every few months (except on the occasions where nVidia or ATI have screwed up and missed a beat, eg 5 series and X###). I would probably never consider spending 300 pounds on a graphics card.

Also, crossfire 1900 XTX master cards don't exist.
-- The GoldFish - member of former GIT and commander in chief of GALLAHAD. You could have done something, but it's been fixed. The end. Also, play bestgameever!
Lowell
level3
level3

Postby Lowell » Sun Jun 04, 2006 2:36 pm

martin wrote:from about september, I like the medium punks - although sometimes I go on a heavy suicide run :P

I switch around, depends where the team is at the time. As a light Punk last night I got to the core and hacked it to death with my sword...snuck past the heavys and waited till the core doors were lowered Ha ha ha. Then I snuck past them and got all the downstairs servers with my shotgun...Ha ha ha I love that game. I like intence team play. Most of the guys at WW3 will boot noobs who act up. So if you are a serious player WW3 is about the best so far. Also I have mastered the Rocket launcher which is cool to use the small screen and fly the rocket right up their ... :!:

I have a couple 3D models of some Dragons...(hence avatar)...I was about to make a sig with that or part of a good in-game screenshot. Yours looks cool.

I will be there later this evening.
Lowell
NeoThermic
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby NeoThermic » Sun Jun 04, 2006 2:37 pm

The GoldFish wrote:Seriously though, the 1900XTX is the fastest. It's also incredibly noisy, (and has a high power consumption, but no one really cares as your PSU will prolly kick it's ass anyway). If noise doesn't bother you, carry on.

And if it does, thats the whole reason after market coolers exsist. :)

The GoldFish wrote: This highend market usually flips from ATi to nVidia and nVidia to ATI every few months (except on the occasions where nVidia or ATI have screwed up and missed a beat, eg 5 series and X###).

Quite. For the moment, nVidia have really dropped the ball (and lost their marbles to. WTF is the point of Quad-SLi other than to try hide the fact that the 1900 range blows away the 7900 range?)

The GoldFish wrote: I would probably never consider spending 300 pounds on a graphics card.

Also, crossfire 1900 XTX master cards don't exist.

Neither would I. £300 is quite a hefty amount to be outdated in the future. However, there are people out there who would. Insane lot!

Finally, Kiri-Kin-Tha's First Law of Metaphysics states that "Nothing unreal exists". I do belive we can currently apply that to the 1900 XTX Master cards ;)

NeoThermic
Azati Prime
level1
level1

Postby Azati Prime » Mon Jun 05, 2006 6:25 am

*eyes off topicness*
Yeah, my problem? Pay attention to meeee! *cries in corner*
Lowell
level3
level3

Postby Lowell » Mon Jun 05, 2006 7:07 am

Azati Prime wrote:*eyes off topicness*
Yeah, my problem? Pay attention to meeee! *cries in corner*

Sorry...guess we got carried away there. I am sure they will look at it, but having that Martin's graphic card is on the fritz...I will look at the map and scripts to see.

EDIT//Do you know the level name for the Control Center you refer to?

EDIT// EDIT//...Okay you are in Maintenance Sys, at the { map_centralcontrol } I'll dig and see. And you have a working profile correct? i.e. the game is saving your maps as you go...
Lowell
level3
level3

Postby Lowell » Mon Jun 05, 2006 8:40 am

Central Control Map
All the files and scripts are fine ... nothing missing.
So, I went in and changed the single AI Unit to team 2 ... and the crashing stopped. It would always crash about at the second camera stop. After changing the AI Unit to team 2 (thus turning it off,) I was able to watch the rest of the intro and then the camera-released fine, I was in the level. Then went back set the AI Unit back to team 1 and promptly I crashed again. Also I used a New profile for each test ... not just a map reset. No BlackBox ...

It is possible to rebuild the level and see if the AI Unit will take. I rebuilt several maps that had the same trouble and got them working again in my mod.

Lowell
martin
level5
level5

Postby martin » Mon Jun 05, 2006 11:39 am

Lowell wrote:Central Control Map
All the files and scripts are fine ... nothing missing.
So, I went in and changed the single AI Unit to team 2 ... and the crashing stopped. It would always crash about at the second camera stop. After changing the AI Unit to team 2 (thus turning it off,) I was able to watch the rest of the intro and then the camera-released fine, I was in the level. Then went back set the AI Unit back to team 1 and promptly I crashed again. Also I used a New profile for each test ... not just a map reset. No BlackBox ...

It is possible to rebuild the level and see if the AI Unit will take. I rebuilt several maps that had the same trouble and got them working again in my mod.

Lowell

ok, thanks for this lowell - TGF seems eaten by his university work so he can't look over it, and I'm unable to access darwinia :(

BTW, about the graphics - i've got an XT not an XTX, found and XT on special offer at only £256 - so not too bad.

And about my sig, thanks - I must admit I didn't make it :( - a friend of mine who wants to be a graphic artist made it. (notice the flying DGs on the right).
trickfred
level5
level5

Postby trickfred » Mon Jun 05, 2006 1:40 pm

Before you rebuild the level entirely, why not try giving the AI and any AISpawnPoints in the level new ID numbers? Preferrably ones that aren't in use in any other level of the mod. See if that works.

Return to “Mod Projects”