The Modlist Thread

Talk about your new mod or map here

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle

trickfred
level5
level5

Postby trickfred » Fri Mar 24, 2006 6:22 pm

xander wrote:
martin wrote:would it be possible to have on your website a little thing so that when you hover over the name of a mod it givs a little description from the author.

Why? There are links to the pertinent threads... If you want a page that does that, why don't you stop complaining about hitm4n's, which is only supposed to be a list, and make your own damn page?

xander

*golf clap*

Hitm4n's doing a good thing, especially the hosting of smaller mods where the author and/or original host have disappeared since releasing them. I'm thinking it's a case of you just want your own mods better advertised, martin. In that case, it's your job to do that, not hitm4n's. And really, the mods need to be fun - then you'll get word of mouth, the best kind of advertisement there is.

Edit: hitm4n, I'm getting a few 404s from the links on your list - you may want to double check you're linking to the right filenames for Hacked, Siege, and 'WWW'.
hitm4n
level3
level3

Postby hitm4n » Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:49 pm

Ok, the site is basic. I am capable of more, but i don't intend to be maintaining a huge site. The more i add then the more i have to do when adding another new mod. Keeping the list simple makes it easy to update.
As the others said, i'm linking to threads and mod sites, so all info can be found...

Trickfred. Thanks for the heads up on those links. I fixed those you mentioned. Hope theres no more.
martin
level5
level5

Postby martin » Sat Mar 25, 2006 9:14 am

trickfred wrote:
xander wrote:
martin wrote:would it be possible to have on your website a little thing so that when you hover over the name of a mod it givs a little description from the author.

Why? There are links to the pertinent threads... If you want a page that does that, why don't you stop complaining about hitm4n's, which is only supposed to be a list, and make your own damn page?

xander

*golf clap*

Hitm4n's doing a good thing, especially the hosting of smaller mods where the author and/or original host have disappeared since releasing them. I'm thinking it's a case of you just want your own mods better advertised, martin. In that case, it's your job to do that, not hitm4n's. And really, the mods need to be fun - then you'll get word of mouth, the best kind of advertisement there is.

Edit: hitm4n, I'm getting a few 404s from the links on your list - you may want to double check you're linking to the right filenames for Hacked, Siege, and 'WWW'.

touche fred, The reason I wanted the descriptions was because I was browsing the site to download some mods and it is all just names... I had to have about half a milion links open to threads. Wheras this is just a very simple method of having a quick description - and it is quick.
GENERATION 22:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
trickfred
level5
level5

Postby trickfred » Sat Mar 25, 2006 1:57 pm

Firefox. DownThemAll extension. And really, like there's more than one or two you haven't played yet anyways. :P
martin
level5
level5

Postby martin » Sun Mar 26, 2006 4:15 pm

I know - and I want to decide which ones are good to download.
GENERATION 22:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
hitm4n
level3
level3

Postby hitm4n » Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:26 pm

Insurrection up to v1.1.4
The Particles Within up to v0.11
Enemy Within Pt 1 up to v1.41
Enemy Within Pt 2 up to v1.1

Site updated, list here updated.
martin
level5
level5

Postby martin » Fri Mar 31, 2006 2:32 pm

Hey hitm4n - could you add a downlaod link for shape files that people are willing to release? For example the ones from Particles or darwinite (if it ever comes out)
hitm4n
level3
level3

Postby hitm4n » Fri Mar 31, 2006 4:33 pm

nope, not interested. mods only or small extras i think are worth including (like the landscape generator thing).
martin
level5
level5

Postby martin » Fri Mar 31, 2006 5:32 pm

Well if I compile a rar of them will you host it?
hitm4n
level3
level3

Postby hitm4n » Fri Mar 31, 2006 7:02 pm

yes if its under 2mb
martin
level5
level5

Postby martin » Sat Apr 01, 2006 8:20 am

OK, I'll get to work.
Rampage Starfire
level1
level1
Location: Simultaneously existing in Canada and a much better place than this world

Postby Rampage Starfire » Sun Apr 02, 2006 2:20 am

forgive me for I may be spoiled by icepick, or just overly picky, but while I do love the new web page, could you differentiate the mod list between campaign/Story driven and the ones which are just single levels that are (in theory) fun to play.

I generally prefer to play the ones which are campaign/story types and would really appreciate it if it was made easier for me to tell the difference, I expect that I am not the only one who would like them to be identified.
hitm4n
level3
level3

Postby hitm4n » Sun Apr 02, 2006 2:42 am

you're spoilt, but i forgive you...
martin
level5
level5

Postby martin » Sun Apr 02, 2006 8:16 am

Rampage Starfire wrote:forgive me for I may be spoiled by icepick, or just overly picky, but while I do love the new web page, could you differentiate the mod list between campaign/Story driven and the ones which are just single levels that are (in theory) fun to play.

I generally prefer to play the ones which are campaign/story types and would really appreciate it if it was made easier for me to tell the difference, I expect that I am not the only one who would like them to be identified.

I too would like that.
hitm4n
level3
level3

Postby hitm4n » Sun Apr 02, 2006 10:52 am

The way i see it is most mods are teeny weeny. Download ALL of them (including the big ones) and they only total 20mb. If a mod is a 5k zip you can pretty much guess its not got many levels or huge scripts. You could also just open up the mods folder and see how many level files there are.

When i put pages up i want minimum fuss, minimum maintanance and quick updates. Call me lazy but i don't like spending all my spare time updating websites.

Now, that said, i might do something soon. I have a list of mods i've played and completed with my personal scores (1-10) and i've listed how many levels each mod has. I would.....

/me thinks...

Well, ok, how about this. I'll add a column for "number of levels" if you lot can help out. Go thru your own mods, or other mods you've downloaded and let me know how many levels each one has. Ok, i'll add a second column too, "Scripted Y/N". Help me fill it in and i'll put the columns in.

Hows that sound ?

Return to “Mod Projects”