The Modlist Thread

Talk about your new mod or map here

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle

shinygerbil
level5
level5
Location: Out, finding my own food. Also, doing the shinyBonsai Manoeuvre(tm)

Postby shinygerbil » Mon Nov 28, 2005 12:59 am

I hate to tell you... The mod community is pretty slow. There can be weeks, even months between posts and indeed action on this board... So don't be put off ;D

Maybe one day I'll decide to polish up my own meagre offering, it's about 9 or 10 levels or so, I can't remember, it's nothing really special, just more missions. I don't have a name for it or anything, and only some basic story. There was a bit involving lots of mission files that I wanted to do, maybe I'll get round to it, I have nothing better to do in my spare time for the next few weeks...

Steve

PS.

martin wrote:...you cannot save progress...

Is that so? I was under the impression you could...
hitm4n
level3
level3

Postby hitm4n » Mon Nov 28, 2005 2:13 am

I'm not put off by the lack of new mods but am a little disappointed by the lack of enthusiasm... At one time there were many new mods released, and many of them are really fun to play (i'm in the process of scoring all mods, and it'll be added here soon...) but now it all seems to have died off. Many posts dated around may/june/july are of people posting about their mods and asking for testers etc. but none of those ever got posted to again, and haven't been heard of since. Shame.

I think its basically down to being a superb game thats not been publicised enough. Those of us that know its great hanker for more, but the community is fairly small and not enough mods are being made to satisfy demand. At least not my demand :) I know its hard for an indie group to make themselves heard, and i hope that joining Steam will enlarge the userbase tenfold (more likely hundredfold) :)

In turn this will stir up a huge amount of modding in the very near future. I can only hope the steam version will support the mods already made, and that the earlier retail version will support the mods made in the future (from steam). If this is true we have a bright future ahead for us gamers.

Oh, and hurry the hell up with your mod damnit !! hehe.
martin
level5
level5

Postby martin » Mon Nov 28, 2005 5:05 pm

martin wrote:...you cannot save progress...

Is that so? I was under the impression you could...[/quote]

not on mods. That's why I released my mod as three (the deserts, maintanence sys and civil war) because they'll take ages to complete in one go.
GENERATION 22:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
hitm4n
level3
level3

Postby hitm4n » Mon Nov 28, 2005 6:05 pm

hmmm, but a multi level mod will save between levels ? Just not halfway thru a level ??
andrewas
level4
level4

Postby andrewas » Mon Nov 28, 2005 6:18 pm

Saves in mods work the same as saves in the regular campaign, dont they? Always seemed that way to me, at least.
The GoldFish
level5
level5

Postby The GoldFish » Tue Nov 29, 2005 1:33 am

The reasons that there are so few mods is that it's very easy to invisage a nice story for one, and yet, very hard to actually execute it through the constraints of the engine, both visually and mechanically.

Even something as simple as seperating out 'glow.bmp's uses as different files would be helpful.

FYI, all mods save exactly the same way Darwinia does, you can save progress overall and progress in a level, you just need a profile for that mod. Is the method that Darwinia uses to save progress in a level perfect? No, since Stricken still obviously has the problem that your squad unit isn't in your task bar most of the time so it doesn't get saved. However, if in an update you change your mod's game.txt file one iota, your user needs a new profile.

Wait a minute... I need to investigate something. It's RE how does a saved mission level in your profile know which engineers etc to put in your task bar.

Anyway, maybe I should like, make a list of dos and don't, or at least trivia - how many people know having an instant unit officer with a state of -1 (which is what they get when you instant unit them) will make Darwinia crash when you exit, seriously? (yes, it is in the bugs forum, though the picture is probably gone now)

Finally, yes, I could make more mods - I simply don't have the possible stories to go with them, ie, the thing that makes you actually have any interest in making a mod in the first place. In fact, fixing up Hacked made me want to restart Droughtwinia, the idea was basically a mod technology demo, showing off what can be accomplished (except new models, I hate doing those, keke) - so, watch this space. Or possibly a different thread.
hitm4n
level3
level3

Postby hitm4n » Tue Nov 29, 2005 3:38 am

Thats the whole point of this thread, the discussion in it, and my insistance. To get people motivated for the good of all. Most of you modders do it for fun or the challenge, and then the player gets a bit of fun at the end result.

A do's and don'ts of modding sounds like a good idea to me. Of course, i'd happily link a thread of that nature in my "interesting" section, and the mod thread itself too. Get one started and i'll pick it up.

btw, if you've got the motivation, i'm almost certain i can come up with a plot outline, story and level ideas. I could even script it etc. (i mean sepulvedas speech etc)
The GoldFish
level5
level5

Postby The GoldFish » Tue Nov 29, 2005 9:12 am

I was wrong, the hardest part of modding is wizarding a level up from nowhere.

All the scripting and objectives and everything is easy, it's the levels that take the time >_>

Anyway, I have like one level to go on Droughtwinia, which is pretty amazing from my PoV (it has 7 levels)
-- The GoldFish - member of former GIT and commander in chief of GALLAHAD. You could have done something, but it's been fixed. The end. Also, play bestgameever!
hitm4n
level3
level3

Postby hitm4n » Tue Nov 29, 2005 11:30 pm

Goldfish re: Hacked.

Thanks for the updates and fixes, but i have stumbled into a problem. I looked thru all the scripts and couldn't see a fault.

Basically, i can't access the 4th level holy_land. Completed the first 3 just fine :) I hope you can suss it out cos its a nice little mod.
The GoldFish
level5
level5

Postby The GoldFish » Wed Nov 30, 2005 5:11 am

Roger that, I assume what you mean is that Holy Land doesn't become availible - if so, I apparently missed that the trunk port in Grave doesn't actually point there.

this should fix that, and putting this in your profile (and renaming) should set you back on track, though you'll lose any research, not that it really matters with this mod.
hitm4n
level3
level3

Postby hitm4n » Wed Nov 30, 2005 10:00 am

Losing the research is no consequence, theres not enough of it across the 4 levels to upgrade anything anyway.

Holy_Land is now available, and my profile did work when i replaced game.txt, but i was unable to complete the 2 main objectives. Wether this is due to a fault or just an unfinished mod i don't know.

One objective is open the trunk port, but the console is already active even though the port isn't. It feels like the wrong console is active at the start of the level (on wrong island.) The other is "download and kill bad memories". For this i'm just at a loss. Does it mean kill the virii and respawn the souls ? I did this, and even killed all my green darwinians and rekilled them !!

Well, at least this mod is fully playable now, if not completable. :) Many thanks for the help so far. Oh, link on page 1 is updated with the a new version now.
The GoldFish
level5
level5

Postby The GoldFish » Wed Nov 30, 2005 10:31 am

no, that should all work... o_O

At least it did when I was testing the levels

Load up the level again with access all areas and see if the problem persists.

Anyway, Droughtwinia, is finished!!!!

I'ma go post about it, squeeee!
-- The GoldFish - member of former GIT and commander in chief of GALLAHAD. You could have done something, but it's been fixed. The end. Also, play bestgameever!
hitm4n
level3
level3

Postby hitm4n » Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:03 pm

AAA is a profile you get when completing the game i believe ? When i completed the game thru first time there were only 2 mods out. (siege and fodder i think). Anyway, i never tried them, and uninstalled the game. Then later i decided to replay it and look at mods. So my main game isn't anywhere near completed and i only ever have a profile for the mod i'm loading. Oh, i had to edit the settings file to give me access to the mod loading...

I'll delete my funky profile and replay the mod thru, see if that helps.

And ooooh ooooh, a new mod :)
/me jumps up and down
The GoldFish
level5
level5

Postby The GoldFish » Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:18 pm

Just create a new profile and call it that (it's how I swap to none or AAA as I need them...)
hitm4n
level3
level3

Postby hitm4n » Wed Nov 30, 2005 4:40 pm

Ok, i deleted my "users" folder. I deleted the hacked mod. Replaced mod with edit 2 version. Loaded mod, created a new profile called "AAA" and then reloaded Darwinia. Mod was active, profile was active, Nirvana was available. (but only Nirvana ?)

Started Nirvana and i can't complete the objectives. I have no engineers and nowhere on map to create one ?

Can you check again please. Or any clue what i'm doing worng maybe ?

Return to “Mod Projects”