my first map

Talk about your new mod or map here

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle

equk
level1
level1

my first map

Postby equk » Sat Nov 12, 2005 2:26 pm

Well I made my first map with a trunk portal as the mission etc and it all seems to work ok :)

click for larger image

I had a problem taking a screenshot in linux :( had to put it into windowed mode (which is why res is only 1024x768).

I also replaced sepulveda :) I think I have a story line to string together but one thing I've not been able to do so far is change the speach scripts as I don't know where they are :?
shinygerbil
level5
level5
Location: Out, finding my own food. Also, doing the shinyBonsai Manoeuvre(tm)

Postby shinygerbil » Sun Nov 13, 2005 2:09 am

You need to make a file in the root folder of your mod directory (i.e. where game.txt and the other two go) called strings_default.txt, just make this file and you can add your own speech :)

If you want the original speech file, you have to unRAR the main.dat, and find the file english.txt. You'll need to get a redshirt2 decrypter to make any sense of it; you can find one somewhere in this thread.

Steve
equk
level1
level1

Postby equk » Sun Nov 13, 2005 1:37 pm

ah nice :) I have an intro working now, I'm just trying to work out how to get a map/level intro to work so when you enter the level you get a welcome etc.

I tried doing it via a buildingonline trigger but it doesn't seem to work :(

Code: Select all

Event BuildingOnline :bios,3
      Action RunScript Bios_Intro.txt
      End

It only seems to work on buildings that are online on starting darwinia :?
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Sun Nov 13, 2005 8:28 pm

shinygerbil wrote:...If you want the original speech file, you have to unRAR the main.dat, and find the file english.txt. You'll need to get a redshirt2 decrypter to make any sense of it; you can find one somewhere in this thread.

A bit of clarification: you do not need redshirt2 to decrypt anything that is kept in the .dat files. Redshirt2 is used to encrypt the save file (i.e. the mission and game files in a user profile). The .dat files are really .rars, and can be extracted without further modification. They are not encrypted with redshirt2.

To have a script trigger when someone enters a level, put a ScriptTrigger building in that level. Set the trigger to "Always" (it is "Never" by default, and can be triggered by units, camera locations, Never, or Always). If you ant the script to run once and only once, after you have put the building on your map with the editor, cut and paste the line from the map file to the mission file. If you want it to run every time the person enters the level, you won't have to do anything else.

xander
shinygerbil
level5
level5
Location: Out, finding my own food. Also, doing the shinyBonsai Manoeuvre(tm)

Postby shinygerbil » Mon Nov 14, 2005 1:03 am

xander wrote:The .dat files are really .rars, and can be extracted without further modification. They are not encrypted with redshirt2.

But the file english.txt is. This contains all the original speech from the game, which may be useful to modify. I thought that was (at least partly) what equk wanted...

Steve
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Mon Nov 14, 2005 5:21 am

Unless the Windows version is significantly different from the Mac version, or the 1.3 patch changes things significantly, english.txt is not encrypted, anymore than any other of the files in the .dat archive.

xander

Return to “Mod Projects”