Sprite and .shp exchange

Talk about your new mod or map here

Moderators: bert_the_turtle, jelco

martin
level5
level5

Sprite and .shp exchange

Postby martin » Sun Sep 11, 2005 3:48 pm

I know when I'm maing a mod that what really annoys me is not being able to make .shp files.
So if anyone has ANY new shp post up a download link here with a brief description (and maybe evn strech to a screenie)!
The same applies for cool sprites/ new icons etc that youve made. Just post up a link or the sprite itself here.
GENERATION 22:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
needalittlehint
level1
level1

fine idea!!!

Postby needalittlehint » Sun Sep 11, 2005 8:03 pm

and if someone could help me get shape files into my own mods...because i know i have to create a shapes folder in the mod's directory where i put the shpfiles in, but it won't work because when i try to start darwinia again with the mod ...it's "***shp file could not be found" what did i do wrong? how do i adress the shape files in the editor? tried it by their name but i didn't work...
xander
level5
level5

Re: fine idea!!!

Postby xander » Mon Sep 12, 2005 2:36 pm

needalittlehint wrote:and if someone could help me get shape files into my own mods...because i know i have to create a shapes folder in the mod's directory where i put the shpfiles in, but it won't work because when i try to start darwinia again with the mod ...it's "***shp file could not be found" what did i do wrong? how do i adress the shape files in the editor? tried it by their name but i didn't work...

If you are trying to replace a shape that is in the original game (i.e. you have a new incubator shape), you will need to check two things:
1) The new shape has exactly the same name as the shape that you are trying to replace, and that it is in the 'shapes' directory of your mod foleder.
2) The new shapefile has any markers that it needs, i.e. SpawnPoints have five markers for DGs to occupy, three for lights, and one for a door. I am not sure what would happen if you did not included the markers, so you are, of course, free to experiment.

If you are trying to use a new shape as a StaticShape:
In the StaticShape dialog, you will have to type in the name of the shape file, including the .shp at the end. As long as the file is in 'shape' (either in Darwina's 'main.dat', or in your mod folder), Darwinia will be able to find it. It will not, however, update instantly. My experience is that if you want to see the shape, you must save the level, then exit and reenter it. You will not be able to use the editor to type several charactors (i.e. _), so you may have to open up 'map_foobar.txt' (in the levels folder) with a text editor to add those.

Without knowing the specifics of what you are doing, my guess is that you did not put the .shp on the end.

xander
needalittlehint
level1
level1

Re: fine idea!!!

Postby needalittlehint » Mon Sep 12, 2005 7:43 pm

xander wrote:
Without knowing the specifics of what you are doing, my guess is that you did not put the .shp on the end.

xander

that might well be the reason i failed to get a shp file into my mod. I'll give it another try then. Thank you for your reply!

needalittlehint
martin
level5
level5

Postby martin » Tue Sep 13, 2005 10:25 pm

OK, I'd like to make a .shp request.
Does anyone have shp files (or be willing to make) to make all the buildings look more real.
I'm making a 'real' mod with soldiers and stuff but I need realistic looking buildings- the spawn points are a priority if you only want to make one, maybe just make it look like a barracks or something.
thanks.
GENERATION 22:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
martin
level5
level5

Postby martin » Mon Nov 07, 2005 8:05 pm

hey people. seems to have died but i really need a building! I need a hald constructed .shp for the biosphere spawn points please.
KF
level1
level1

Postby KF » Sun Nov 13, 2005 1:35 am

give me the programs needed and how to do it, and i'll get e3's programmers trying to help :)
martin
level5
level5

Postby martin » Sun Nov 13, 2005 3:36 pm

Well you need 3ds max and these http://www.darwinia.co.uk/community/modding.html addons
daset
level3
level3

Postby daset » Sun Nov 13, 2005 7:00 pm

Well, the fieldgun, missile, tank, gunturret, and turret shapes look kinda cool and futurisitc and real(ish). You'd have to change the color of the tank from that awful green, though. :)
mindule
level2
level2

Postby mindule » Sun Nov 13, 2005 7:56 pm

There's something very interesting you can do if you want to make a broken or incomplete shape; open up the file, and delete the hell out of half the shp coordinates :P. Makes something like this:
Last edited by mindule on Sun Nov 13, 2005 10:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Sun Nov 13, 2005 8:13 pm

mindule wrote:There's something very interesting you can do if you want to make a broken or incomplete shape; open up the file, and delete the hell out of half the shp coordinates :P. Makes something like this:
Image[/img]

Sh! Damn... I thought I came up with that... I was trying to keep it a secret until the 1.3 patch comes out for Mac and I can finish my mod. Oh, well... the real suprise is still there...

xander
mindule
level2
level2

Postby mindule » Sun Nov 13, 2005 10:52 pm

I guess the imagemabob is broken. You can have fun in those shp files, huh xander.
martin
level5
level5

Postby martin » Sun Nov 13, 2005 11:12 pm

mindule wrote:There's something very interesting you can do if you want to make a broken or incomplete shape; open up the file, and delete the hell out of half the shp coordinates :P. Makes something like this:

nice idea. I'll have ago...
hur hur hur - manual shp editing :D
shinygerbil
level5
level5
Location: Out, finding my own food. Also, doing the shinyBonsai Manoeuvre(tm)

Postby shinygerbil » Mon Nov 14, 2005 1:07 am

Damn! I'd already fiddled around with that. I too thought I was the only one...
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Mon Nov 14, 2005 5:19 am

shinygerbil wrote:Damn! I'd already fiddled around with that. I too thought I was the only one...

We must remember that we are all unique, just like everyone else.

xander

Return to “Mod Projects”