No
No votes

Total votes: 11
Dr4goN
level3
level3

Multiwinia: Reboot

Postby Dr4goN » Wed Aug 17, 2005 5:11 pm

I'm planning to remake my old Multiwinia project, now known as Multiwinia: Reboot. I will make some maps and test it on LAN Party.

CREATORS
    Dr4goN
    T3mpl4r
    martin
    Miah Helpmann
    Dawid13

Want to join in, post here. Daily updates.
Last edited by Dr4goN on Fri Aug 19, 2005 1:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.
martin
level5
level5

Postby martin » Wed Aug 17, 2005 6:36 pm

Could we have a sample of what multiwinia was like before we volunteer ourselves to help?

edit:: OK, just did a search. I guess the original never took off. However how do you plan to test the new one. Surely the same problems still apply. ie no multiplayer testing?
If you have a solution to the testing problem then I'll be glad to join.
GENERATION 22:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Dr4goN
level3
level3

Postby Dr4goN » Wed Aug 17, 2005 7:08 pm

Do you have 2 or more PCs linked into one network? If yes, use your Access All Areas profile(Dr. Sep gives it when you finish Darwinia), then create any mod and move Sandbox map files into /mods/MyNewMod/levels directory. Modify map by adding some working trunk ports and control towers. Now, it's time to modify preferences.txt file. You must make first three lines look like this:

Code: Select all

ServerAddress = Your PC's IP Address, std: 127.0.0.1
BypassNetwork = 0
IAmAServer = 1

This is prefs for server. Now let's make client's prefs done.(Again first three lines to modify)

ServerAddress = Server's IP
BypassNetwork = 0
IAmAServer = 0
Try playing on it. When you will find something interesting, write. And welcome to the creators list.

http://forums.introversion.co.uk/darwin ... php?t=2040 - that's what you mean??
nihilisthetics
level1
level1

Postby nihilisthetics » Wed Aug 17, 2005 9:20 pm

I tried this some time ago and I came across several problems, some of which were

1. Starting the level. I found that if I didnt start the level almost simultaneously on both the client and server, they were not in sync - that is instant unit locations and distribution were not the same on client and server.

2. Even if you got the client and server in sync from the beginning the unit creation highlighting would always appear on both client and server when a gesture was completed on one of the machines. It was very easy crash the game at this point, or at the very least the instant units got out of sync.

3. If you didnt break the game by creating units, once a battle started, the server and client often got out of sync. It was only a matter of time until this happened. Worse there was no indication that the sync problem had occured other than looking at the screen on both client and server and checking unit locations

4. If you managed to avoid sync problems, there was still the strange behaviour of team 3. I can remember exactly what it was, but it was something to do with them not registering one of the other teams as a threat even though that other team registered team 3 as a threat.

I personally think that the multiplayer aspect of this game is not in a playable state. Unless, of course, you have managed to resolve these issues.

N
martin
level5
level5

Postby martin » Thu Aug 18, 2005 10:57 am

OK. I'm off to play buggy, non supported multiplayer on my network.
:)
GENERATION 22:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
martin
level5
level5

Postby martin » Thu Aug 18, 2005 11:01 am

Would this work over the internet?
Maybe if I set up a server tomorrow, at a time we're both online (whens convenient to you?) and I PM you my IP we can find out...

Edit:: My preferences has an extra line:

ServerAddress = 192.168.0.1
BypassNetwork = 0
SinglePlayer = 0
IAmAServer = 1

I'm guessing that its 0 (ie.not single player) but does anyone else have this line? I'm using the 1.3 beta version of darwinia currently so maybe this is something new to the beta?

Edit:: Hello, again.
Having tried that on loading the game on my second computer the program crashes. Just tried running the game without the network, it still crashes on level loading. Its Win98 so=hould will it run properly?
Dr4goN
level3
level3

Postby Dr4goN » Thu Aug 18, 2005 12:01 pm

martin wrote:Edit:: My preferences has an extra line:

ServerAddress = 192.168.0.1
BypassNetwork = 0
SinglePlayer = 0
IAmAServer = 1

I'm guessing that its 0 (ie.not single player) but does anyone else have this line? I'm using the 1.3 beta version of darwinia currently so maybe this is something new to the beta?

lol, I haven't SinglePlayer line.
And I don't think that we could run Darwinia via Internet. And I don't think we could make with this anything because this:
nihilisthetics wrote:I tried this some time ago and I came across several problems, some of which were

1. Starting the level. I found that if I didnt start the level almost simultaneously on both the client and server, they were not in sync - that is instant unit locations and distribution were not the same on client and server.

2. Even if you got the client and server in sync from the beginning the unit creation highlighting would always appear on both client and server when a gesture was completed on one of the machines. It was very easy crash the game at this point, or at the very least the instant units got out of sync.

3. If you didnt break the game by creating units, once a battle started, the server and client often got out of sync. It was only a matter of time until this happened. Worse there was no indication that the sync problem had occured other than looking at the screen on both client and server and checking unit locations

4. If you managed to avoid sync problems, there was still the strange behaviour of team 3. I can remember exactly what it was, but it was something to do with them not registering one of the other teams as a threat even though that other team registered team 3 as a threat.

I personally think that the multiplayer aspect of this game is not in a playable state. Unless, of course, you have managed to resolve these issues.

N

But we should try to do something. Maybe it's an alpha multiplayer created by Introversion and it is being tested while we are testing 1.3 beta patch? Who knows...
Dr4goN
level3
level3

Postby Dr4goN » Thu Aug 18, 2005 12:24 pm

OK, just did a quick test. IT WORKS!
New client's prefs:

ServerAddress = Server's IP
BypassNetwork = 0
SinglePlayer = 0
IAmAServer = 0

Server's prefs:

ServerAddress = Your IP
BypassNetwork = 0
SinglePlayer = 0
IAmAServer = 1

Sample preferences.txt file can be found here.
Just create new mod and run some levels.
Edit: And change the line:

Mod = DarwiniaEarth

to make it looks like this:

Mod = none
martin
level5
level5

Postby martin » Thu Aug 18, 2005 12:48 pm

No mod? eh... I thought you needed your special sandbox mod?
Dr4goN
level3
level3

Postby Dr4goN » Thu Aug 18, 2005 12:48 pm

Could you please register at http://www.pdc.fora.pl - forums about modding and MWP(Multiwinia Project)?
martin
level5
level5

Postby martin » Thu Aug 18, 2005 3:35 pm

Whats wrong with these forums?
I will. *sigh*, another forum.
Dr4goN
level3
level3

Postby Dr4goN » Thu Aug 18, 2005 6:04 pm

And that's end. MWP will never took off. Why? Because of it Darwinia crashes. But I'll try to do something with it. And, you can't produce any units, it is annoying.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Thu Aug 18, 2005 7:58 pm

Dude, give it a rest. There is a reason that multiplayer does not work. That reason is simple: THE CODE IS NOT ALL THERE. Multiplayer will not work until IV decide to finish the code, and get multiplayer working. Until that time, have patience. You are complaining that the game crashes and that you can't produce units. Of course. This only makes sense, as the CODE IS NOT DONE.

xander
nihilisthetics
level1
level1

Postby nihilisthetics » Thu Aug 18, 2005 8:51 pm

I agree with the last post. However, there may be some small merit in using what is there to test multiplayer maps for when IV do release a multiplayer patch. But thats probably a long way off, if it ever happens. If you do want to play with it, you must have the first octet in your servers IP address in the prefs as 127 ( i.e. IP of 127.0.0.1 ). I found you also need to have modding disabled and a profile of none.

N
Miah
level5
level5

Postby Miah » Fri Aug 19, 2005 2:03 am

hey Dr4gon, toss me an email sometime. I'm interested in your plans, and have been making a few maps of my own, as conceptual things.

Return to “Mod Projects”