13%

Total votes: 15
martin
level5
level5

Modding Group

Postby martin » Thu Aug 11, 2005 10:05 am

Modding Group.

Seeing as how a big, decent mod is a lot of work which requires lots of different skills (storyline, landscaping, cripting...) How many people would be Interested ni forming a modding group?
We would make a storyline, then all the people good at landscaping can talk together and do their bit, the scripters can do their bit. We can all test it and give feedback.
If your interested then feel free to leave your name and comments below. If your not... erm, bugger off.
Last edited by martin on Tue Aug 30, 2005 2:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.
prophile
level5
level5

Postby prophile » Thu Aug 11, 2005 2:57 pm

That's what making a mod is about... come up with an idea, form a team, work with them.
martin
level5
level5

Postby martin » Thu Aug 11, 2005 7:42 pm

Well all the mods I've made have been on my own.
So ignoring people with crappy avatars does anyone want to form a permanent team that will work on,ots of mods together?
GENERATION 22:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
nfreader
level1
level1

Postby nfreader » Thu Aug 11, 2005 8:45 pm

I like the idea. Maybe take the Kontik Research Front approach.

For those of you not familiar with it, the JRF was a new idea for developing game modifications (called plug-ins) for another of Ambrosia's games, Escape Velocity Nova. It was hearlded by the development community for it's new way of doing things. Many people all congregated and worked on one plug-in at a time, making it into a powerhouse of the community, but faced many massive setbacks. Now, with member counts dropping, the KRF has fallen into a state of disrepair and general inactiveness. Needless to say, the idea sounds good, sans the failures and everything. (I'd also be willing to host it if other hosting cannot be secured)
prophile
level5
level5

Postby prophile » Fri Aug 12, 2005 12:18 am

There was no need to explain the KRF to these fine people.
nfreader
level1
level1

Postby nfreader » Fri Aug 12, 2005 12:44 am

Meh. Lets keep history from repeating itself eh?
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Fri Aug 12, 2005 1:03 am

nfreader wrote:I like the idea. Maybe take the Kontik Research Front approach.

For those of you not familiar with it, the JRF was a new idea for developing game modifications (called plug-ins) for another of Ambrosia's games, Escape Velocity Nova. It was hearlded by the development community for it's new way of doing things. Many people all congregated and worked on one plug-in at a time, making it into a powerhouse of the community, but faced many massive setbacks. Now, with member counts dropping, the KRF has fallen into a state of disrepair and general inactiveness. Needless to say, the idea sounds good, sans the failures and everything. (I'd also be willing to host it if other hosting cannot be secured)

On the other hand, Nova is much more moddable -- which means that there are more things that need to be changed to make something work. In Nova, there are sprites to change, stings, outfits, ships, landing pics, spobs, running lights, &c. &c. Creating a mod to Nova is a hell of a lot of work. In Darwinia, you can create levels, scripts, change the text, mess with a few sprites, and add new shapes. You really can't add new units (shïps) or weapons or anything like that. There are far fewer things to keep track of. I had a great idea for a Nova mod at one point, but it was far too much work. On the other hand (if I ever get a few free minutes again), I am nearly done with a mod for Darwinia.

xander
Tortanick
level3
level3

Postby Tortanick » Fri Aug 12, 2005 2:02 pm

Prophile wrote:There was no need to explain the KRF to these fine people.

More explination is needed its the first I heard and now I think it goes somthing like this

1) a better way of doing things is descovered
2) problems appear
3) the mod community falls apart.

Not very detailed is it.
prophile
level5
level5

Postby prophile » Fri Aug 12, 2005 2:55 pm

We grouped all the seperate major plugin/TC groups into one forum, where they had easy access to forum space and a community where sharing of ideas was easy, etc.

We had the worst luck in the world with hosting (6 moves in total) and then the major guy handed it over to someone else who messed it up.
AMoN-AMoK
level0

Postby AMoN-AMoK » Sun Aug 21, 2005 2:35 pm

Hi guys, i´m interested in do some for this wonderfull game.

I´m a 3d designer, if you want some help contact me.

amon-amok (at) gmail (dot) com
martin
level5
level5

Postby martin » Wed Aug 24, 2005 3:35 pm

Prophile
AmOn-AmOk
nfreader

Are you all still interested?
GENERATION 22:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Miah
level5
level5

Postby Miah » Wed Aug 24, 2005 4:07 pm

Oi! Prophile is mine! Back off! :P

Also, he's out of town for a while longer yet, so don't expect much from him for a bit yet.
AMoN-AMoK
level0

Postby AMoN-AMoK » Thu Aug 25, 2005 2:07 pm

of course :)
martin
level5
level5

Postby martin » Fri Aug 26, 2005 11:51 am

Well miah, you're quite welcome to join. :)
Seriously, the more people join, the less work we all have to do.
nfreader
level1
level1

Postby nfreader » Fri Aug 26, 2005 11:12 pm

Martin, I am still %100 behind you on this idea, and the offer of web-space is still extended.

Return to “Mod Projects”