A limit ?

Talk about your new mod or map here

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle

Volumunox
level1
level1

A limit ?

Postby Volumunox » Wed Jul 13, 2005 8:23 pm

i've been doing a mod for acouple of days now little by little.

And i just want to know if there is a limit to how many of each building or object that you can use because i'm making a new Generator and it decides to crash when i try to link the building after a certain amount of linking

cuz if so i'll make it in a different way.
Timity Mater Non Flet
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Wed Jul 13, 2005 9:24 pm

As far as I know, there is not global limit to the number of buildings you can link to, though I have not tried to link hundreds of buildings. However, many buildings have their own limits. TrunkLinks, for instance, can connect to only one other building, though severl buildings can be linked to one TrunkLink (assuming that the other buildings are either Refineries, TrunkJunctions, or TrunkLinks). Pylons (for power) can only (I think) link to one other Pylon or SolarPanel, but can be linked to by several of the above.

Also, if you try to link to a building that is not part of the same system, Darwinia will crash, i.e. linking a SpiritSpawner to a SpawnLink, or a SpawnPointMaster.

That is about all I can tell you without more information. What building are you trying to link? To what kinds of buildings? Is there a 'blackbox.txt'? Are you sure that you are not accidentally trying to link to a building that is not part of the same system (i.e. it is in the background, and you are accidentally clicking on it)?

xander
Volumunox
level1
level1

Postby Volumunox » Thu Jul 14, 2005 12:35 am

was simply the Solar panel to the long chain of links over to my generator,
However just tried to link with generator and seem to be getting same error.

cuz when i link to the generator the lil wire goes to the corner of the map,
if or when i go our of editor to test it, it crash when i open the map and can't go in and alter it again (have to remove them via the txt files)

Dunno if it just is my com that dosn't like the linking system or if your really have to do it 100% right or it crash, but i just think its abit weird.
andrewas
level4
level4

Postby andrewas » Thu Jul 14, 2005 1:12 am

Yes, it has to be 100% right, otherwise the editor will crash. Really, it should print a useful message instead, but Chris is a busy man. Maybe in the next patch.

However, it does sound like you are doing it right. It might be an idea to clear the buildings from the level and replace them all from scratch. Or at least scan the map file and see if there are any buildings with duplicate IDs or some such weirdness.
Volumunox
level1
level1

Postby Volumunox » Thu Jul 14, 2005 9:24 am

i'll try have a look at it, thx :)

just seem abit weird that the linking string goes up in the corner everytime.
martin
level5
level5

Postby martin » Thu Jul 14, 2005 9:24 am

You can only have one spawnpointmaster, discovered that last night.
GENERATION 22:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Volumunox
level1
level1

Postby Volumunox » Fri Jul 15, 2005 12:28 am

in the campaign i recall them linking the soul link to the trunkport so that you got souls on another map.. and been wondering.. how is that done without system crashing lol

And everything seem to be crashing on my com when i try link it to a "major" structure
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Fri Jul 15, 2005 5:41 am

Volumunox wrote:in the campaign i recall them linking the soul link to the trunkport so that you got souls on another map.. and been wondering.. how is that done without system crashing lol

And everything seem to be crashing on my com when i try link it to a "major" structure

Look very carefully at the map. The spawn system is not linked to the trunkport. It is linked to another SpawnLink that is hidden in the trunkport.

xander
Volumunox
level1
level1

Postby Volumunox » Fri Jul 15, 2005 9:56 am

really ?

Clever, didn't even notice it. cool thx :)
Volumunox
level1
level1

Postby Volumunox » Fri Jul 15, 2005 11:46 am

i just can't seem to get the linking system to work... at all..

cuz when i link the Spiritspawner to the spirit link it crash
Timity Mater Non Flet
andrewas
level4
level4

Postby andrewas » Fri Jul 15, 2005 11:55 am

SpiritSpawners are a cosmetic building. They do not link to SpiritLinks, they do not link to SpawnPointMasters - they link only to other SpiritSpawners, the first of which should be inside the obstensible source of the spirits (normaly a trunk port), and the last of which should be inside the SpiritPointMaster. They have no effect on anything, they just make it look as if the SPM is recieving souls from somewhere. (Set up the SpiritSpawners first, otherwise you'll have to move the SPM around to be able to link to the last SpiritSpawner)

For the actual spirit system, the SPM links to SpiritLinks links to Spawn Points. You need 3 DGs minimum to run a Spawner, so make sure you have enough on the map as well.
Volumunox
level1
level1

Postby Volumunox » Fri Jul 15, 2005 2:57 pm

*watches while the spirits apear and spawn*

theres nothing more beautifull then when you solve a prob :)

Now i just need the mine to work lol
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Fri Jul 15, 2005 4:13 pm

andrewas wrote:SpiritSpawners are a cosmetic building. They do not link to SpiritLinks, they do not link to SpawnPointMasters - they link only to other SpiritSpawners, the first of which should be inside the obstensible source of the spirits (normaly a trunk port), and the last of which should be inside the SpiritPointMaster. They have no effect on anything, they just make it look as if the SPM is recieving souls from somewhere. (Set up the SpiritSpawners first, otherwise you'll have to move the SPM around to be able to link to the last SpiritSpawner)

For the actual spirit system, the SPM links to SpiritLinks links to Spawn Points. You need 3 DGs minimum to run a Spawner, so make sure you have enough on the map as well.

SpiritSpawners are part of the Reciever system. SpiritSpawners can link to: ReceiverLinks, SpiritReceivers, and SpiritProcessors. In Biosphere, there is a SpiritSpawner in the trunkport to Reciever. There is then a series of RecieverLinks, which terminates inside the SpawnPointMaster (look carefully at the file -- the last Receiver link is hidden in the SpawnPointMaster). The SpawnPointMaster is then connected to SpawnLinks, as part of the spawn system, though you could connect it directly to SpawnPoints as well.

xander

Appendix:
All of the buildings in a system are interlinkable.
A building is operational when it is working, and online when it the online flag is set. For instance, a Refinery is operational when a certain number of Darwinians cause it to run, however it will not come online for scripting purposes until it has refined a certain number of primatives.

Receiver System:
SpiritSpawners (cosmetic building)
SpiritProcessor (comes online when a certain throughput is acheived)
SpiritLinks
SpiritReceiver (becomes operational when run by Darwinians)

Spawn System:
SpawnPointMaster (comes online when enemy forces dwindle to a certain amount, though this only works when it is global; is invisible if not set to be global (look at Temple))
SpawnLink
SpawnPoint (run by three Darwinians or more)

Refinery System:
Refinery
Mine
TrackLink
TrackJunction (TrackJunctions do not create overhead links to other buildings -- if you want to split a single track into n tracks, you must link a TrackLink to a TrackJunction, then create n TrackLinks at the same location as the TrackJunction, and link the TrackJunction to each of those TrackLinks. The TrackLinks can then be linked as normal. You will probably have to use a text editor to do this.)

Power System:
Pylons
Generator (comes online when a certain amount of power is flowing through it -- make sure it is global, or Darwinia will crash)
SolarPanels (become operational when run by Darwinians)

The Reciever system is a 'feeding' system -- each building can generally only connect to one other building, but can be connected to by multiple buildings. The Power system is much the same.

The Spawn system is a 'branching' system -- each building can generally link to several buildings (and you can probably link several buildings to one building, but there is not much point to this).

The Refinery system does both, though branching is complicated (see TrackJunctions above).
Volumunox
level1
level1

Postby Volumunox » Sat Jul 16, 2005 12:54 pm

guess i got all the info i need to do all the linking :)

Only completed 4 maps atm

but Thx for the info guys appreciate it :)

Return to “Mod Projects”