Darwinia: ArcadeRemix [v1.1]

Talk about your new mod or map here

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle

trickfred
level5
level5

Darwinia: ArcadeRemix [v1.1]

Postby trickfred » Sat Jun 11, 2005 9:28 pm

what would have happened if the darwinians had downloaded a video game along with the red virus? well, you're about to find out!

download arcaderemix

latest version: v1.1 - 2006.03.14

download darwinia: arcaderemix
download mirror

also available: arcaderemixlite - same great mod taste, less custom music filling
Last edited by trickfred on Thu May 04, 2006 2:39 am, edited 8 times in total.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Sat Jun 11, 2005 10:00 pm

trickfred++

xander
The GoldFish
level5
level5

Postby The GoldFish » Sun Jun 12, 2005 6:21 pm

good

\o/

I'm posting this because I'm drunk and want something to remind me of it, even though I know it's stupid and a rip of the classic do stupid things while you're drunk and not remembre you did them... thing.

So yeah, it's a good bit of fun :P
-- The GoldFish - member of former GIT and commander in chief of GALLAHAD. You could have done something, but it's been fixed. The end. Also, play bestgameever!
redcords
level1
level1

Postby redcords » Wed Jun 15, 2005 9:49 am

was fun until the mine level (on hard), i can't get past it. some of the eggs land short and go back into the water, and the spiders or virii seem impossible to wipe out while dealing with new eggs.
trickfred
level5
level5

Postby trickfred » Wed Jun 15, 2005 1:15 pm

Crap. Thought I'd fixed all that. I'll double check it.

Edit: Try these:

http://www.infostore.ca/stellarmatter/trythis/arb2fix/mission_level5.txt

http://www.infostore.ca/stellarmatter/trythis/arb2fix/mission_level5_hard.txt

Stick those in your levels folder. The changes will be added to [now planned] beta 3.
redcords
level1
level1

Postby redcords » Thu Jun 16, 2005 10:01 am

still getting through it slowly, the biosphere level (hard) seems badly messed up. a number of things are shifted eg mushrooms, triffids, virii. the camera starts over water and the squad is nowhere to be seen.

and i found the receiver level (i think, the black one) just a bit too dark whether from lighting or choice of colours. i couldn't see eggs on the ground, might be intentional.

still having fun, need a lot of patience to succeed.
trickfred
level5
level5

Postby trickfred » Thu Jun 16, 2005 2:12 pm

Crap.

I seemed to have fixed that in beta 3 - I had to move everything in that level over by moving x & z coords in the files by hand - but forgot to copy the coords from the easy level to the hard level.

http://www.infostore.ca/stellarmatter/t ... level9.txt

http://www.infostore.ca/stellarmatter/t ... 9_hard.txt

Use those if you don't want to download beta 3. Sorry 'bout that!
redcords
level1
level1

Postby redcords » Thu Jun 16, 2005 4:32 pm

ok finished \o/

really liked the last 2 levels, was wondering when the soul destroyers would make an appearance. i got the early finish i think with reinforcements coming in to mop up.

only criticism i would have is that there were too many similar levels in the middle section, could have done with one less or a different twist on the main gameplay for at least one of those levels.

now i have to find the bonus level...

oh and the music was cool.
trickfred
level5
level5

Postby trickfred » Fri Jun 17, 2005 4:16 am

Version 1.0's up - I added some Ants and some flying 'shrooms. I think this one's about as done as it's going to get.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Fri Jun 17, 2005 4:24 am

redcords wrote:...oh and the music was cool.

Agreed. Where did it come from? What is it?

xander
trickfred
level5
level5

Postby trickfred » Fri Jun 17, 2005 10:13 pm

The music tracks in the mod are all Dma-Sc tracks I converted from .sid to .ogg; and yes, I asked him for permission to use them.

Noone reads READMEs anymore. :)

Edit: Version 1.01 is up, along with a 35kb patch to upgrade 1.0 to 1.01, rather than downloading the whole thing again; this *now* should be the final version.
Last edited by trickfred on Mon Jun 27, 2005 2:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
andrewas
level4
level4

Postby andrewas » Mon Jun 27, 2005 1:31 am

Trickfred, I have a minor issue with this mod.

Seems your server cant serve files reliably. Four times Ive tried, four times its died at less than 25%. Its not a problem on my end - every other download I try works properly. As a first guess, it could be your server timing out, since I'm on dialup and take ten times longer than most users. Server configuration isnt my strong point though, especialy when that server is IIS.

But it gets worse. If I use getright to resume the broken download and get in four or five goes what I cant get in one, I get an anti-leeching message instead.

Either fix your server, lose the anti-leeching, or ask IcePick to host this mod on TheNextGame, which works properly. I am not wasting my time working out why your server thinks I'm leeching. It cant be by referrer, as I block those and it would complain when I tried a normal download. It cant be because I'm using a download manager and multi-segmenting, because I'm not multi-segmenting.
trickfred
level5
level5

Postby trickfred » Mon Jun 27, 2005 2:24 am

andrewas wrote:Trickfred, I have a minor issue with this mod.

Seems your server cant serve files reliably. Four times Ive tried, four times its died at less than 25%. Its not a problem on my end - every other download I try works properly. As a first guess, it could be your server timing out, since I'm on dialup and take ten times longer than most users. Server configuration isnt my strong point though, especialy when that server is IIS.

But it gets worse. If I use getright to resume the broken download and get in four or five goes what I cant get in one, I get an anti-leeching message instead.

Either fix your server, lose the anti-leeching, or ask IcePick to host this mod on TheNextGame, which works properly. I am not wasting my time working out why your server thinks I'm leeching. It cant be by referrer, as I block those and it would complain when I tried a normal download. It cant be because I'm using a download manager and multi-segmenting, because I'm not multi-segmenting.

First off, you're the first person to relay to me that they've had a problem. If I myself had an issue with downloading anything, or knew there was a problem, I'd either fix it or leave a note on the site saying as much, as a 'heads up' for people.

Second, one of the reasons the anti-leeching stuff is in place is to prevent people from using programs like GetRight. Seems it's doing its job at least in that respect.

Third, thanks for notifying me about the problem, but your chosen tone is kinda rude, and that's not the best way to motivate me to a speedy solution. You could have left a polite message/PM explaining it, instead of attempting to order me to jump to your assistance. I probably would have given you a direct link to the file.

I'll look into it. When I have time.

Edit: Seems the server has a default connection timeout of 900 seconds. Probably that, coupled with the way I have the files blocked behind a script, is what is causing the problem.
andrewas
level4
level4

Postby andrewas » Mon Jun 27, 2005 2:55 am

Sorry about that, bad day. Plus, anti-leeching always annoys me, even when its someone like Underdogs doing it, and they have a legitimate need, they are underfunded and many leechers target them.

And whats the problem with Getright? Sure, download accelerators do nothing but flood the server with connections, maybe gaining speed on broadband but causing slowdown on dialup. But then getright is not a download accelerator. I use it to download files too big to get down in one chunk on a dialup connection whch cuts out every two hours. It does have an accelerator built in, but why would I turn that on? To open half a dozen connections, have six time the overhead and that much less transfer rate?

If you want to block download accelerators, look for and block multiple-segment transfers. Of course, you need to do it at a lower level than just getting download.asp to reject any request it dosent like.

Sigh. I wonder if theres a download resume extention for FireFox yet?
trickfred
level5
level5

Postby trickfred » Mon Jun 27, 2005 2:56 am

Here, try this:

http://hosted.filefront.com/trickfred

Edit: I'm also not paying for bandwidth - I'm using server space donated by a friend, and out of courtesy to him, I'm trying to keep direct links to files winding up in a gaming magazine or on a cheats/faqs website or something. The script also helps me track downloads of each mod so I have some idea when I need to start looking for a new 'payed' host.

Return to “Mod Projects”