Talk about your new mod or map here

Moderators: bert_the_turtle, jelco

trickfred
level5
level5

Postby trickfred » Tue May 10, 2005 2:59 pm

Darwinia: Enemy Within Part One v1.1

(edit: obsolete link removed)

If you played it already, check it out again, I finally got the Virii the way I originally wanted them!
Last edited by trickfred on Sun Jun 12, 2005 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
martin
level5
level5

What?!?!?

Postby martin » Tue May 10, 2005 3:47 pm

You what? you haven't started number2 yet? OMG!

Anyway, I had a lttle problem on the backdoor. I couldn't get my squads up the hill at the start of the level, I had to edit it to get up the hill by moving the control tower a bit.
GENERATION 22:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
trickfred
level5
level5

Postby trickfred » Tue May 10, 2005 4:14 pm

?

You never need to move your squads off the hill to get to either tower - you're supposed to fight your way across the hill to the library, then the memcache towers.

If you're trying to get around the laser fence, there is a section with 2 small walls that you can squeeze between. You have to hit the gap straight on, or your guys bounce around in front of it.
The GoldFish
level5
level5

Postby The GoldFish » Tue May 10, 2005 6:06 pm

An... interesting side effect perhaps?;

However, the other stuff looks too cool :P

I found the 3rd level the most fun, since I just ran a squad through everything and captured the trunk port - but the 4th was a bastard cause they kept getting killed - I did get some horrid frame rates - after I killed the last nest on the flank I chose, I re-entered the level to scrub the souls, and got nice phat fps again, hehe.

Anyway, Stricken is only megagoodwow because it's *finished*.

Also, I think I'm going to have to rip you off on fiddling with glow.bmp - having had a little play with it - I've been seriously considering giving Stricken a graphical overhaul since about late sunday, when Iris emailed me about updating the UI pictures for Striker (which I haven't actaully changed since before Darwinia was released). I doubt it'll get to anywhere near the watery eye candy you have, but hey, I can try :P

Certainly the best of luck with the mod, I like (what I think you're doing) the idea of splitting it up so you can have a different helpery person, research names etc - however, I can wait to see what you come up with :P
trickfred
level5
level5

Postby trickfred » Tue May 10, 2005 6:15 pm

Side effect, yeah - but it fits with the game's theme of degradation because of missing code/virii doing nasty things. :)

And the reason I chose to do the campaign in three parts? Mostly because sprites, graphics/etc. can't really be changed dynamically during the game, so I break it up, and i can swap out new gfx/sounds/models/whatever between parts. That, and I was anxious to release something. :)

Edit: I didn't realize who I was responding to until after I had already responded - I just wanna say since I have you here, that I loved your mod, and it was playing Stricken that made me take my mod back to the drawing board after it was nearly finished, and re-do it nearly completely. You've set the bar so far for mod quality - new models are cool, but gameplay's where it's at. :)

Edit2: Another side effect probably noone's noticed - I changed the Squadie's laserbeam, but that also affects the beam coming from a Control Tower, the power lines between pylons, AND the red beams coming from the Spam Cube. Something to keep in mind when modding laser.bmp.
martin
level5
level5

Postby martin » Tue May 10, 2005 7:13 pm

trickfred wrote:?

You never need to move your squads off the hill to get to either tower - you're supposed to fight your way across the hill to the library, then the memcache towers.

If you're trying to get around the laser fence, there is a section with 2 small walls that you can squeeze between. You have to hit the gap straight on, or your guys bounce around in front of it.

No, I mean that the start control tower is situated so far down the cliff that I can't climb up. I have completed this level but I had to move the control tower to the top of the cliff to do it.
GENERATION 22:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
martin
level5
level5

Postby martin » Tue May 10, 2005 7:15 pm

Who is the message from??? I can't wait long. So when do you expect the next to be out (<plead>I'll beta test it for you</plead>)
trickfred
level5
level5

Postby trickfred » Tue May 10, 2005 7:34 pm

martin, I don't know what to tell you. I just changed my landscape quality to low, and the tower was still on the hill, right next to the trunk port. Can you send me a screenshot of the affected tower in its screwed up position? And what landscape quality setting are you on?
martin
level5
level5

Postby martin » Wed May 11, 2005 11:08 am

Methinks my landscape is on low. I'll check when I get home from school and upload a screenie with a pic of a struggling squad. (maybe + my modification to the new position)

<edit> plus the trunk port is at the bottom of the cliff too...

<edit> what about beta testing?
trickfred
level5
level5

Postby trickfred » Wed May 11, 2005 1:26 pm

Heh - beta testing? We'll see.
Pilske
level0

Postby Pilske » Wed May 11, 2005 1:35 pm

I just finished version 1.1, and it's a lot better. You seem to have fixed my lighting issues :)

I hope to see part 2 and part 3 come soon, it's a good mod if you ask me :wink:
MicrOchiP
level1
level1

Postby MicrOchiP » Wed May 11, 2005 3:52 pm

the visuals are great nice job, i love the virii look and the engineer sound (that i believe was taken from Tron)

looking forward for part two ..... the sequel ;)
-=MicrOchiP=-
martin
level5
level5

Postby martin » Fri May 13, 2005 1:11 pm

Inspired by your mod I've begun building a mod alongsimilar lines. However I don't do anything small so although this is my first proper mod I'm making it with about 20 levels and everything.
trickfred
level5
level5

Postby trickfred » Fri May 27, 2005 4:47 pm

I'm nearly finished part 2 [well, as complete as I can get it, till we get more modding power], but I want to know if anyone's had any issues with part one I should fix as well.

Anyone?
martin
level5
level5

Postby martin » Sat May 28, 2005 11:36 am

No offence but. COULD YOU PLEASE MAKE PART TWO AVAILABLE FOR DOWNLOAD. OK got that off my chest then.

Return to “Mod Projects”