Darwinia: Enemy Within [Parts 1, 2, and 3...]

Talk about your new mod or map here

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle

martin
level5
level5

Postby martin » Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:41 am

trickfred wrote:*/me looks around, sees company is not here yet*

*/me duct tapes martin's hands to the back of his head so he can't type anymore*

*/me looks to see just how much he actually has done on EW4*

*/me remembers he was waiting on icepick's alleged modding patch to finish it, and still hopes it's not just for Vista*

*/me farts in the general direction of Vista*

MMnnnnnn!

Munnn!

Ok, sorry, I'll say that again.

Nice to see you back, and I'm glad to see you too ;)

so have you done anything on EW4? or literally nothing before icepicks gets a move on?
GENERATION 22:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
skull13
level3
level3

Postby skull13 » Sun Jan 20, 2008 12:54 am

HOnestly, when is EW4 coming out? If at all, that is.
Um...
sorry for gravedigging, just cheated my way thru parts 2 and 3...
trickfred
level5
level5

Postby trickfred » Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:11 am

Heh.

I was kind of hoping for some of the features mentioned here to be added before I attempt Part 4.
Pfhortipfhy
level0

Postby Pfhortipfhy » Sat Sep 06, 2008 9:35 pm

In EW3, when you finish the soul collector level, does it go right to a different place? I though we were going to port parallel, but then Dr. S was like "Hey, whoops. Found some infected place. LESGO!". I'm not even sure I got the 50 souls/minute, I had only activated about half the soul collectors.

EDIT: Bah, spoiler tags don't work here. Massive story and other spoilers below.

[SPOLIER]
When I was in promy's room, if you hit up the darwinian maker thing, and go more or less straight north, there's a control tower in the middle of nowhere that you can activate. When I activated it, I got an "Objectives completed" message, and I was given the standard "Press esc. to leave" message, but no cutscene. Then I just spawned engineers at the secret tower and just took over promy's capsule. Then I got the cutscene. I went back to the soul collector level, and all the triffids had been replaced by turrets manned by red dudes that didn't shoot (not the armor turrets though, it was this weird looking thing. It also died like a triffid, by shrinking.) I'm really freaking confused. I also found another random control tower in the level with the spiral sheild walls, that has the CT in the center. This one was out of bounds, though, and my engineer couldn't get to it. Also, since everyone knows how to hit up the secret page on your site, why don't you just post the link to make it easier?
[/SPOILER]
trickfred
level5
level5

Postby trickfred » Sat Sep 06, 2008 10:54 pm

Pfhortipfhy wrote:In EW3, when you finish the soul collector level, does it go right to a different place?

Yes.

Pfhortipfhy wrote:When I was in promy's room, if you hit up the darwinian maker thing, and go more or less straight north, there's a control tower in the middle of nowhere that you can activate. When I activated it, I got an "Objectives completed" message, and I was given the standard "Press esc. to leave" message, but no cutscene.

Yeah, I haven't touched the files in a while, but IIRC, it was because I needed the level to end with a cutscene, but still have an objective (and the editor/game doesn't really let you do that in the way I wanted), so I stuck that tower in the middle of nowhere with the objective attached to it, assuming that the majority of people wouldn't see it, and would finish the level in one of the ways I had intended. Guess I didn't put it far enough away. Chalk it up to not-quite-robust-enough-as-I'd-like editor, along with laziness on my part to find a more invisible way to do it.
Pfhortipfhy
level0

Postby Pfhortipfhy » Sun Sep 07, 2008 2:40 am

Why not make promy's tower the objective? That *is* how to defeat him. And about those replacement triffids, what's up with that? And the other random tower in the spiral level?

Sorry to be so critical, I'm just curious. It's a great mod, better than 1 and much better than 2. The story element is *very* strong, and if IV made a sequel, I swear this series would be it.
trickfred
level5
level5

Postby trickfred » Sun Sep 07, 2008 3:20 am

Pfhortipfhy wrote:Why not make promy's tower the objective? That *is* how to defeat him.

One of the ways, yes. And again, I wanted the level to end MY way, with a cutscene, and not with the 'Objective Completed' message. If you understood how the level editor works (and doesn't work), then it would be more clear to you why I did it the way I did. Frankly, I hate that damn message, and I didn't want it marring my cutscenes. :P

Pfhortipfhy wrote:And about those replacement triffids, what's up with that?

Uh, what's to get? It's a DG in a big gun, launching monster canisters. It's cool. :D

Pfhortipfhy wrote:And the other random tower in the spiral level?

Not random. Near the beginning of the mod, you had the choice of two paths. That level was a sort of 'second chance' to replay that particular level if you picked the other one the first time.

Wow, I didn't realize the mod was so confusing. Much of what's going on is spelled out in in-mod text, the rest is supposed to be figured out on the player's own. Perhaps it is too obscure? I only ever really got feedback from 3-4 people on it, I assumed that was because most people thought the mod series was crap.

Pfhortipfhy wrote: It's a great mod, better than 1 and much better than 2. The story element is *very* strong, and if IV made a sequel, I swear this series would be it.

There's more story, and there's a big hint (though possibly too obscure maybe) in the 'good' ending for Part 3. If Part 4 ever gets made, which is whenever Darwinia is made more moddable, yadda yadda, ad nauseum....

Oh, and as to your first post - secret page? Everyone knows? Methinks you're just trying to flush the answer out of me, social engineering style. I only ever had one person tell me that they had found it.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Sun Sep 07, 2008 5:35 am

trickfred wrote:
Pfhortipfhy wrote:Why not make promy's tower the objective? That *is* how to defeat him.

One of the ways, yes. And again, I wanted the level to end MY way, with a cutscene, and not with the 'Objective Completed' message. If you understood how the level editor works (and doesn't work), then it would be more clear to you why I did it the way I did. Frankly, I hate that damn message, and I didn't want it marring my cutscenes. :P

If I can offer some advice on this, and if you are ever planning on coming back to it, there might be better ways to create uncompletable objectives, and do it more invisibly. For instance, you can create an objective with a SafeArea that requires units of a kind that just can't get there (i.e. a DG SafeArea in the water). If you don't want a counter on the objective, you could try putting a ControlTower on the map in a place where it is unreachable due to being inside of a StaticShape. You can prevent engineers from getting to it, that way (though they might still try).

trickfred wrote:Oh, and as to your first post - secret page? Everyone knows? Methinks you're just trying to flush the answer out of me, social engineering style. I only ever had one person tell me that they had found it.

Heh. ;)

xander
trickfred
level5
level5

Postby trickfred » Sun Sep 07, 2008 5:46 am

Yeah, xander, I probably should have done that, and probably should have thought of it too. Like I said, lazy. Pretty sure I even did that exact thing in a different level as well. Oh well. *shrug*

BTW - Hey xander! Long time no chat!
Pfhortipfhy
level0

Postby Pfhortipfhy » Sun Sep 07, 2008 4:21 pm

trickfred wrote:
Pfhortipfhy wrote:And about those replacement triffids, what's up with that?

Uh, what's to get? It's a DG in a big gun, launching monster canisters. It's cool. :D

But they weren't shooting, at least for me. Also, I want to point out that for some reason, one didn't have to attack the islands with red darwinians, because they were manning the soul collectors already. I don't know if that has to do with the game or you (as you said, I have no familiarity with the mod creator)

trickfred wrote:
Pfhortipfhy wrote:And the other random tower in the spiral level?

Not random. Near the beginning of the mod, you had the choice of two paths. That level was a sort of 'second chance' to replay that particular level if you picked the other one the first time.

Wow, I didn't realize the mod was so confusing. Much of what's going on is spelled out in in-mod text, the rest is supposed to be figured out on the player's own. Perhaps it is too obscure? I only ever really got feedback from 3-4 people on it, I assumed that was because most people thought the mod series was crap.
I'm sorry, I wasn't clear enough. Not the maze level where you get the rockets, NOT the one that "Has a metric ton of enemies" The one with the giant spiral of shields, which you have to traverse through unless you notice the shield generator off to the side. That's the level I was talking about.

trickfred wrote:
Pfhortipfhy wrote: It's a great mod, better than 1 and much better than 2. The story element is *very* strong, and if IV made a sequel, I swear this series would be it.

There's more story, and there's a big hint (though possibly too obscure maybe) in the 'good' ending for Part 3. If Part 4 ever gets made, which is whenever Darwinia is made more moddable, yadda yadda, ad nauseum....

Oh, and as to your first post - secret page? Everyone knows? Methinks you're just trying to flush the answer out of me, social engineering style. I only ever had one person tell me that they had found it.

Uh *scratches head* isn't it in the binary in the first 3 messages? I don't want to find/download a binary expander and/or learn binary when the answer's right in front of me. :P
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Sun Sep 07, 2008 6:56 pm

trickfred wrote:Yeah, xander, I probably should have done that, and probably should have thought of it too. Like I said, lazy. Pretty sure I even did that exact thing in a different level as well. Oh well. *shrug*

Heh. Fair enough.

trickfred wrote:BTW - Hey xander! Long time no chat!

Indeed. How's the wife and kids?

xander
Major Cooke
level4
level4

Postby Major Cooke » Thu Sep 11, 2008 3:43 pm

AH! The good days of EWIII...

Remember when I pestered the shit out of you to beta test part 3? Prepare for moar!!! BUAHAHHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!! *hack* *cough*

Fucktarded allergies...
trickfred
level5
level5

Postby trickfred » Thu Sep 11, 2008 3:51 pm

Wife and kids are good. House hunting sucks. Especially since we're looking for a place with an in-law suite, or at least a bathroom in the basement since it's expensive to have one put in (we can slap up walls and electrical ourselves). Looked at 9 houses in 2 1/2 hours on Tuesday, and at least 3 of them were former grow-ops (and looked it from the inside), another had a few plants in the basement, and one place was totally hot-boxed (I could taste it in the back of my throat hours later). Another, we only saw half of it, as we were practically chased of by the renting tenants and their 3 man-eating-looking dogs.

Hamilton. The armpit of Ontario, Canada.
striker7770
level0

Postby striker7770 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:17 pm

hey, i really want to play this mod
but for some reason all three mods crash after a few minutes. (in the first mod, when the trunk port is activated in the first level, it crashes to the desktop, any help would be apreciated.
NeatNit
level5
level5

Postby NeatNit » Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:29 am

Since this is already bumped, I'd like to say that I failed miserably at playing this.

In part 3, the level before the last - I accidentally pressed F9. When I finished the level, the editor popped up. No probs, I press F9 and it went back to the game. I enter the final level AND...

No one is there. Completely empty. Not a red DG in sight. Obviously, I fucked the entire final battle, and I tried doing everything I could think of to fix it - no luck. Have to start Part 3 over... *sigh*

As to your problem, striker, I'm sorry but I don't think I, personally, can help you. What version of Darwinia are you using? (Steam/Retail? Version number?)

Return to “Mod Projects”