Darwinia: Enemy Within [Parts 1, 2, and 3...]

Talk about your new mod or map here

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle

xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Fri Sep 29, 2006 3:01 am

trickfred wrote:Easy to make that mistake though, since martin tried to steal my plot. ;D

Heh. And your sprites. And your textures.

xander
Phelanpt
level5
level5

Postby Phelanpt » Fri Sep 29, 2006 4:14 am

Phelanpt wrote:The first two mods(Contagion part 1, and thedeserts, I think) I tried didn't quite work, so I gave up at the time...

Erm... Fixed. I meant mods. I played EW 1 and 2 before playing 3, of course. I don't think the story would make much sense if I didn't. :p

About the problem, any idea of what might be causing it? I'm playing another mod right now, and nothing weird is happening.
Last edited by Phelanpt on Fri Sep 29, 2006 4:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
trickfred
level5
level5

Postby trickfred » Fri Sep 29, 2006 4:17 am

Okay, I'll take a look at that profile soon as I get a chance - I'm technically supposed to be at work right now. ;D
Phelanpt
level5
level5

Postby Phelanpt » Wed Nov 15, 2006 2:26 pm

Anything yet? After a busy period, I came back to darwinia, just finished Insurrection, but still have the same problem on EW3.
trickfred
level5
level5

Postby trickfred » Wed Nov 15, 2006 3:41 pm

Seems that the GunTurret bug strikes again. It appears that when you leave/re-enter the level partway through, it crashes when you send Squadies through that Dish - but not if you remove the GunTurrets from the level, which makes no damn sense. X[

You can either decrypt the mission_backdoor.txt file in your profile and delete all of the GunTurrent lines (search the forums for Redshirt2 decryption or use DPG - but I'll warn you, it's a big file and DPG will take a few minutes to process it, it's not the fastest program for decrypting), or simply delete mission_backdoor.txt from the profile directory, delete all of the GunTurrent lines from the mission_backdoor.txt in the mod's levels directory, and replay it from scratch.

Sorry I took so long to get back to you.
sirvoks
level3
level3

Postby sirvoks » Fri Dec 29, 2006 8:30 pm

Anyone chance of EW4 ?
trickfred
level5
level5

Postby trickfred » Fri Dec 29, 2006 8:32 pm

Eventually.
sirvoks
level3
level3

Postby sirvoks » Fri Dec 29, 2006 10:56 pm

Great. I enjoyed playing your mod alot :)
Quazar
level0

FWIW... tell me I'm a lamer, fine

Postby Quazar » Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:13 am

Thought I'd let you know... Emergency Backup looked really fun but I left and came back later and it got marked complete somehow, before I could even get started.

I'm frustrated though... Front Side Bus doesn't let me reset the level? I saw the clue late, play it fast before too many spawns bring the computer to its knees and make the level unplayable. OK fine I'd try it again but the thing's so crashed I can't.

Would your story be a lot less compelling if the seething pit of dispair had about a tenth of the spawns? I think not. Just my opinion of course. While I'm trying to provide constructive criticism, that last hunk of the assembler... no checkpoint along the way? I cheated past it, since the triffid is unkillable and it just didn't seem fun.

All that said, this was a really fun set of mods! Thanks for your time... and consideration of the feedback.
vanarbulax
level4
level4

Postby vanarbulax » Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:23 am

I've just finished EnemyWithin Parts 1 and 2 and on my way to completing Part 3 and I have to say they have brought back my love for Darwinia.

My only complaint would be the same as the post above, I chose Frontside Bus and tried to get through it as fast as I could but it's still brought my computer to my knees, I'm getting 4 frames a second while usually my computer runs at a stead 30-40 FPS even in some of the most enemy intensive levels earlier. I'm not sure if it was just the amount of enemies because it seemed to slow down suddenly just after I got past the second trunk port. Anyway I love the mod series but without a reset location option on Frontside Bus the level is literally unplayable, I guess I should try starting the mod again.
brice
level2
level2

Postby brice » Wed Oct 03, 2007 2:44 am

vanarbulax, if you haven't already restarted EW3, there are two ways to deal with FSB.

First you can use engineer fishing to access the trunkports without having to fight your way through everything. Send engineers from the start area straight to the end area and gather the virii behind one. Send the engineer far away and use another to capture the control towers. Repeat as needed for the midway point control tower.

Second, you could hand-edit your current FSB mission file and delete the bulk of the enemies to buy yourself some breathing room. Search the forums for "redshirt2" decoders. The saved mission files are under your user name's subdirectory. Decrypt the FSB file and delete most of the lines listing enemy units. To preserve the "feel" of the level, only delete spiders and centipedes and whatever else was clogging the central pit. If you delete DGs and all virii you may completely depopulate the level. The spawned units may cluster towards the end of the save-file's listing, I dunno. You can re-save the edited file as plaintext and Darwinia will read it fine. Just be sure there is no "redshirt2" tag at the very head of the file. That should be removed by the decrypter.

The advice I got from trickfred was, "stop dragging your feet! that level is meant to be done on the run. never stop moving forward!" more or less. So evidently he can do it as a speed run.

Good luck! And be sure to be curious about the maps. EW3 has some hidden secrets.
vanarbulax
level4
level4

Postby vanarbulax » Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:15 am

Thanks for the help I'll try that. I guess I'll have to change my play-style for this since I'm usually slow and methodical, always trying to finish off every last virus.
trickfred
level5
level5

Postby trickfred » Wed Oct 03, 2007 6:14 pm

I'm going to alter that level a bit as soon as I get the chance. Two kids now, plus a night job and a new Guild Wars expansion makes for a sleepy trickfred.

I will reduce the enemies a bit, and I have a simple idea for eliminating the 'fishing' trick, I just need to get around to it.

Honestly though, the player is meant to try and get through it as quickly as possible, and not try to kill everything, because I don't think that can be done without cheating/altering the level files.

Edit: I have four working directories for EW3. Not sure how that happened, but I'm downloading a file comparison program now, and will endeavour to straighten out my various unimplemented changes from the last few months, and get a new version out tomorrow as I have company coming over in... oh, 40 minutes. Where the hell are my pants??
martin
level5
level5

Postby martin » Wed Oct 03, 2007 6:42 pm

good lord, trickfred posts and revels a living interest in darwinia :!:

well I've got to go and replay EW now so that I can whip up some excitement for EW4 ;)

edit:: not good lord, but of course:

Good Gravy!
GENERATION 22:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
trickfred
level5
level5

Postby trickfred » Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:06 pm

*/me looks around, sees company is not here yet*

*/me duct tapes martin's hands to the back of his head so he can't type anymore*

*/me looks to see just how much he actually has done on EW4*

*/me remembers he was waiting on icepick's alleged modding patch to finish it, and still hopes it's not just for Vista*

*/me farts in the general direction of Vista*

Return to “Mod Projects”